General Thoughts: Science SC (1 Viewer)

philzy

HSC
for that current question in the 1 word answer. i wrote tectonic currents do u reckon they will accept that.

Deluge

HSC
Unfortunately... I think that they may be asking for convection...

appetite

HSC
complex said:
either way, the "change in speed or direction" was definatly velocity.
Velocity is not a change in speed or direction. Velocity is speed in a given direction.

The answer is ACCELERATION. I don't understand why there's so much dispute over this question in particular. I think it's pretty bleeding obvious.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Re: Science SC

Science was HORRIBLE. Admittedly, I knew nothing going into the exam, but I had done fairly okay in the practice exams despite that. This exam was just horrible. Horrrrrrrible. I'll be lucky to ge Band 2.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
appetite said:
Velocity is not a change in speed or direction. Velocity is speed in a given direction.

The answer is ACCELERATION. I don't understand why there's so much dispute over this question in particular. I think it's pretty bleeding obvious.
Hear hear

kido_1

pRoFFeSSoR
HSC
wat were the hard questions.
Can youse guys give me the exat question regarding spped/directio(i did science Sc last yr)bcz i can probably give u a credible answa.

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
i reckon science was the worst test out of the lot...it was so generalised.. that graph about the cyclone and tsunami?? WTF?? that was jus stupid.. i recon passed but prob only got like 70%. my friend thought it was so easy

runnable

HSC
It convection currents,
acceleration and
i think its FLASK because they said, Put in one word or one number. however i do think the full name will be marked correct.

mohdateeq

HSC
The answer has to be velocity because accerleration is a measure of rate at which an object changes in speed and not direction. I ws also wondering whether dey wud mark da answer"FLASK" right because da actual answer ws "CONICAL FlASK"? Any ideas? I can't belive i got da sun question wrong (da asnwer ws TEMPERATURE).

iEdd

HSC
mohdateeq said:
The answer has to be velocity because accerleration is a measure of rate at which an object changes in speed and not direction. I ws also wondering whether dey wud mark da answer"FLASK" right because da actual answer ws "CONICAL FlASK"? Any ideas? I can't belive i got da sun question wrong (da asnwer ws TEMPERATURE).
*Sigh*.
wikipedia said:
The velocity of an object is simply its speed in a particular direction. Since velocity is defined as a vector, both speed and direction are required to define it.
wikipedia said:
In physics or physical science, acceleration (symbol: a) is defined as the rate of change (or derivative with respect to time) of velocity.
That's as simple as it gets. The answer is ACCELERATION. I don't see how this can be disputed. It asked for a change in speed and direction.

runnable

HSC
thats right, the answer has to be acceleration (and i wrote velocity) but i realise my mistake now.

and the equipment question has to be flask cuz they are looking for a ONE WORD ANSWER OR NUMBER.

From the same section of Science 2005 School Certificate paper:

Questions 51–60 are worth 1 mark each.
Answer each question with ONE word or ONE number only.

Go to the Board of Studies website and click on School Certificate (Science 2005)

Last edited:

james k

HSC
hey i knowq im in the wrong forum but for history and the question that said wrote about the post war period,period after the war if u wrote a period beofre the war is it an automatic zero or do u still get marks for it soemone plz tell me im dying to know

iEdd

HSC
james k said:
hey i knowq im in the wrong forum
Then why don't you go into the right one and not spam?
EDIT: Okay, I'll answer your question for you anyway... My guess is that it's only a mark for it actually being post war, because people do (and always will) miss out some parts of a question. It's highly unlikely that you'll get zero.

PrettyVacant

HSC
iEdd said:
Then why don't you go into the right one and not spam?
EDIT: Okay, I'll answer your question for you anyway... My guess is that it's only a mark for it actually being post war, because people do (and always will) miss out some parts of a question. It's highly unlikely that you'll get zero.
But how can you score marks for a question you haven't even answered? It asks for a POST-WAR period, not a PRE-WAR period. If you write about a pre-war event, it's not going to count.

runnable

HSC
james k said:
hey i knowq im in the wrong forum but for history and the question that said wrote about the post war period,period after the war if u wrote a period beofre the war is it an automatic zero or do u still get marks for it soemone plz tell me im dying to know

:( i do not think you can get marks for that, cuz its like writing off-topic. However, i think if the marker is lenient, i think he/she might give you credit points if your answer was quite good on your topic. (I once got 5 credit marks on a 6 marks question although i misread the question and did the wrong thing but got the answers correct according to my topic.)

PrettyVacant

HSC
runnable said:
:( i do not think you can get marks for that, cuz its like writing off-topic. However, i think if the marker is lenient, i think he/she might give you credit points if your answer was quite good on your topic. (I once got 5 credit marks on a 6 marks question although i misread the question and did the wrong thing but got the answers correct according to my topic.)
Yeah, but even if his answer is correct to his topic...I doubt he'd get marks for it because that wasn't what the question was asking for.
For example, if you were doing the Science extended response about the DNA - and you wrote about Photosynthesis or something, and it was possibly the best description of the process of photosynthesis ever, do you think you will get marks for it?

iEdd

HSC
No.. But that's an exaggeration of what we were saying. Reading 'post war' as 'pre war' is possible, so you may get credit points. No way will you get full marks, but you should get more than 0.

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC
so basically, it's pity points.

if the markers like "awww.... i pity your stupidity" , very good. a mark or two maybe.
if the markers like "haha loserrrrrr" . 0. someone's screweeed.

and to get back on topic.
i called the conical flask a "cyclic beaker".
0. im screwwwwed.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)