general UNSW chit-chat (2 Viewers)

MooshyMoosh

HSC
Now this I've never understood. Why do people still pander to their parents' retarded wishes after high school in this day and age?
I've been asking myself that since the start of this year (well, start of uni anyway).
1)My parents are traditional Chinese parents- they want me to study something that they thought would get me into a career and make lots of $$$
2)I had a choice between studying arts/sci at unsw or business at uws, and guess what parents told me to do? :mad1: Actuually, it wasn't just my parents-family, friends (of family and parents) eventually convinced me to do business.

I think the main reason why people still conform to their what their parents want for them is because they've never really done much outside their 'comfort zone'-or against their parents wishes. Kinda like me, never was allowed out to 18's, didn't have much of a social life etc. So when the time came for me to choose what I wanted to study at uni, I chose what my parents wanted, cos I've never really had much of the freedom to make choices for myself. I've now learnt from my [BIG] mistake.:)

-Anfernee-

HSC
I'm doing the same double degree program as he is, Comm/Economics but with majors that aren't considered piss easy....what r u studying, Omie Jay?

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
that post didn't sound homo at all!

What's with all the piss poor majors? Business Economics? Financial Economics..lol...talk about bludging your way through Commerce at UNSW...
Personal reasons. Also, Financial eco isn't a bludge.

Besides, what's wrong with being different. Or is that not allowed in a faculty full of asians who do accounting and finance.

-Anfernee-

HSC
Oh, and that too. But when you think about it, shouldn't the best person who would know what was best for us be- ourselves?

not really, when you're fresh out of high school and only in your teens, you don't really have much real world experience to know what's best for you..

You could have easily done Commerce/ arts, Commerce/science, that way, your parents would have been satisfied and you could still pursue your own interests...

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
I'm doing the same double degree program as he is, Comm/Economics but with majors that aren't considered piss easy....what r u studying, Omie Jay?
lol, bar actuarials i'm sure alot of the science/engineering kids would consider commerce bludgy.

MooshyMoosh

HSC
not really, when you're fresh out of high school and only in your teens, you don't really have much real world experience to know what's best for you..

You could have easily done Commerce/ arts, Commerce/science, that way, your parents would have been satisfied and you could still pursue your own interests...
I wish I could've, but I didn't get the uai for it. Also, I'm not a business/commerce type of person.

-Anfernee-

HSC
Personal reasons. Also, Financial eco isn't a bludge.

Besides, what's wrong with being different. Or is that not allowed in a faculty full of asians who do accounting and finance.

Ok fair enough, but still ,it wouldn't have hurt to put accounting or something more solid in that mix, since you are doing three majors....

tommykins said:
lol, bar actuarials i'm sure alot of the science/engineering kids would consider commerce bludgy.
haha, that's true, you guys definitely have it tougher but we have hotter girls in our classes, so it evens out.

MooshyMoosh

HSC

I should've put this with my last post. I see your point. I guess when you're juts out of high school you wouldn't know much about how things work and society, but we should still be given a choice to decide for ourselves shouldn't we?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Ok fair enough, but still ,it wouldn't have hurt to put accounting or something more solid in that mix, since you are doing three majors....

haha, that's true, you guys definitely have it tougher but we have hotter girls in our classes, so it evens out.
:burn:

-Anfernee-

HSC
I should've put this with my last post. I see your point. I guess when you're juts out of high school you wouldn't know much about how things work and society, but we should still be given a choice to decide for ourselves shouldn't we?

Yeah sure, ideally, you should be given a choice to decide for yourself but like you said, your parents were pretty controlling and pressured you into business...just be thankful that they didn't force you into Medicine!! then you'd be in a lot of trouble!

lol, tommykins, just hang around the Quad more and maybe you'll be convinced to do a combined Eng/ Commerce program...

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
I won't deny it. My commerce degree is bludgy.

Business eco is basically 'do any additional eco courses you want' so I compensate for it with my financial eco major (consisting of courses like business forecasting, financial econometrics and eco of finance). Financial eco is essentially advanced econometric modelling with a little bit of finance.

I don't do accounting for personal reasons (i.e. my dad did com (acct/fins) at unsw as pwc cadet and is a CA), and I have no intention of following the exact same fucking path he did. As with how Mooshymoosh was 'forced' to do bus at UWS, I was kinda 'influenced' into commerce at UNSW.

Which I complied with but at the same time, I opted to focus in economics instead.

Last edited:

MooshyMoosh

HSC

Business eco is basically 'do any additional eco courses you want' so I compensate for it with my financial eco major (consisting of courses like business forecasting, financial econometrics and eco of finance). Financial eco is essentially advanced econometric modelling with a little bit of finance.

I don't do accounting for personal reasons (i.e. my dad did com (acct/fins) at unsw as pwc cadet and is a CA), and I have no intention of following the exact same fucking path he did. As with how Mooshymoosh was 'forced' to do bus at UWS, I was kinda 'coerced' into commerce at UNSW.

Which I complied with but at the same time, I opted to focus in economics instead.
As long as you enjoy your course. I tried to Study a key program in business which I liked (International Business, since we got to study a language in that one), but still hated it. Changed to arts/sci now, parents not happy. Oh well :p, at least I like science lol

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
As long as you enjoy your course. I tried to Study a key program in business which I liked (International Business, since we got to study a language in that one), but still hated it. Changed to arts/sci now, parents not happy. Oh well :p, at least I like science lol
Anything is better than just plain arts.

MooshyMoosh

HSC
Anything is better than just plain arts.
Very true. And with a uai of 76 for arts, might as well study somfin else with it, since I can't some up with any form of employment that only requires just an arts degree... besides teaching .

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Yeah sure, ideally, you should be given a choice to decide for yourself but like you said, your parents were pretty controlling and pressured you into business...just be thankful that they didn't force you into Medicine!! then you'd be in a lot of trouble!

lol, tommykins, just hang around the Quad more and maybe you'll be convinced to do a combined Eng/ Commerce program...
i could've done it, but promised myself i wouldn't enter the commerce world.

-Anfernee-

HSC

I don't do accounting for personal reasons (i.e. my dad did com (acct/fins) at unsw as pwc cadet and is a CA), and I have no intention of following the exact same fucking path he did. As with how Mooshymoosh was 'forced' to do bus at UWS, I was kinda 'influenced' into commerce at UNSW.

Just out of curiousity, where are you hoping to go with your current program? It is pretty broad, so I'm guessing you'll be going for generalist grad positions? although you do have some heavy quant stuff thrown in there...

haha, Business Economics is a mad bludge, some Economics courses also double as arts ones...lol...you seem to be pretty content with what you're doing, so I guess you made the right choice.

-Anfernee-

HSC
i could've done it, but promised myself i wouldn't enter the commerce world.

lol, some promises are worth breaking...still, you can be an honourary commerce student.

there's nothing worse than being mistaken for an Engineering student( no offense)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)