general UNSW chit-chat (1 Viewer)

gman03

HSC
wind said:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/the-medical-student-who-is-forced-to-live-in-a-park/2006/06/24/1150845417650.html

Anyways, student fees help support students in their study whether it be legal advice or childcare, as I previously mentioned.
Well I fell sorry for him. You can call it unfair if you want. However if it was me, I would be forced to go back home by the immigration department anyway.

This isolated incident does not justify the reason why we should pay the 200+ student fees. If we want to help him out, we could have a fund rasing activity for example. But "The university union was similarly unable to help", so what can I say?

I personally just dislike where MOST of the money has gone (because I don't know how they have been used genuinely), not every bloody cent.

As to childcare, again it is circumstantial, if you say a mum/dad of three needs a degree to get back to workforce, then centerlink should pay for that (i.e. tax payer's money, not JUST uni students)

Call me narrowed-mind but that's my opinion on this issue.

stamos said:
it works as an incentive for people to involve themselves in campus life

i'm all for marginalising and exploiting people who show up and go home
If you are forced to join a political party (free or for $250 a semester), how would you feel? It works as an incentive for people to involve themselves in real fucking life.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I also think... whilst it sucks for him, the money which we pay is not to subsidize international students. If he wants he can go run his own little charity event and hope to get donations- I'd donate; but I wouldn't want the union using my union fees to pay for something like this. Besides, it might set a precedent for others to try and follow suit.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Well, now that his story has been made public by SMH, I don't think things will be so bad for him, personally. At least that's what I like to hope.

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
Wow, that's pretty bad. Why doesn't he just go back home to the US? If your 'will' is that strong, I am sure you can come back here with a recognised degree to help people.

I agree it would be shame to shut down the roundhouse. I don't go there that often after first year because its loud and crowded all the time, but it's a nice place for hosting suff. I would pay to go into events if I really wanted to be there and if thats what it comes down to. I will also pay more to be involved in societies if that's what it takes. Rather that than my union money going to useless things (for me) like blitz, counselling, trakuna, source etc...

Oh wow, I get 10% off every time I buy food from the Source shops! Who cares, uni food is so terrible that I would rather go down to Kingsford to get a meal. It's not that far.

wind

HSC
http://cofasa.unsw.edu.au/2005/features/vsu/news/

The VSU disaster – some examples so far…
• Newcastle University – 20 staff gone and the computer centre closed,
• UTS – expecting to cut 12 jobs, cuts to childcare centre and community law centre grants,
• University of Sydney – 25 staff gone and cuts to some sport subsidies,
• UNSW – 29 staff gone, cuts to student volunteer and ‘Students training Students’ programs,
• Uni of Western Sydney - 6 staff gone, Pools at Blacktown and Hawkesbury (used by up to 50 schools) under threat.
• Southern Cross University – 4 staff gone (40% of all full-time staff),
• Charles Sturt University – 10 staff gone,
• Uni of New England – 1 staff member gone, accident assistance fund cut & cuts to sport subsidies,
• Adelaide University – 13 staff gone (50% of all staff) from student organisation,
• Charles Darwin University – All 7 staff gone from the on-campus service provider,
• University of Canberra – 9 staff gone,
• Melbourne University – VCE summer school funding in doubt, Orientation Week activities cut,
• RMIT – 7 staff gone with another 15 in danger,
• Swinburne University – 20 staff gone, cuts to legal service, emergency loans & clubs & societies
• Murdoch University – 2 jobs gone, grants to clubs and societies cut and prices up at all outlets,
• Curtin University – 4 staff gone,
• Edith Cowan University – 11 staff gone, shops closed on 3 campuses & student newspaper closed,
• Uni of Southern Queensland – 9 staff positions vacant (12% of all full-time staff),
• Griffith University – 6 staff gone -cuts to Parents Room, legal advice & lunches for needy students
• Queensland University of Technology – 8 staff gone, text book bursaries & emergency food vouchers reduced, soccer club closed down,
• University of Queensland – 3 staff gone, $3.5 million sports precinct shelved at Gatton campus,
• Uni of Tasmania – 3 staff going or gone, cut personal accident insurance & guide for overseas students.

---

What about people that can't afford counselling? Just posing points, not intending to start rouse anyone lol :)

As an aside, who funds the Unibeat bus?

wind

HSC
Not sure.

"...many student organisations and on-campus service providers will have to make further massive cuts to jobs and services as the money runs out."

gman03

HSC
How can there be so many examples before VSU is actually introduced?

wind

HSC
I've seen people use the bus :) You wouldn't want a girl walking by herself around Kensington at 11pm.

I don't know about the figures though lol.

Don't look at me. I wasn't the one that made up the numbers. Ask the MP, Jenny Macklin - Shadow Minister for Education, Training, Science & Research.

I found it when I was searching for the source of funding for counselling.

Last edited:

gman03

HSC
Don't worry, I am not pointing the finger at you. I am just curious to know. This VSU thing reminds me of GST, how they jack up the price by 10% on top of existing tax... stupid retailers.

Yeah my friends use the bus at night after doing assignments.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Goddamn that sport association fee. I wonder if there is anyway I can get rid of it...

drewbrow1

(Ninja)
HSC
Perhaps they could make up for some of the lost funds by cutting down on that $450,000 marketting budget, or the $60,000 they spent on motor vehicles. $120,000 on 'board and committee expenses'?

2005 Source annual report
Interesting read. Only a third of their income comes from student fees.

T

Tom Ruprecht

The Sport Association Fee is ugh.

But Source is worth it. The University Union is the biggest provider of services. If you went to the Blockhouse to ask about all the stuff they have (and you didn't know about/didn't use), you'd be surprised at what you're missing out on.

Guild is overrated. It's not as accountable and I don't like the idea of a bunch of student politicians in there to hack something on their CV.

At least University Union has a bunch of grownups running it.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Before I go to bed: Can you believe that Politiks BOS advertisement has been cleaned off the desk? It's an outrage!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)