general UNSW chit-chat (1 Viewer)

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
politik said:
Ever wonder why the School of Computer Science has enough cash to put out its own prospectus every year? Because it is the best performing school in the Faculty of Engineering.
I'm sure some other engineering faculties have more money per student than Comp. Science.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
NERD FIGHT!

Do you know anything about Economic Rationalism? If you did, you would understand that the world can only be socially-powerful if all its markets are performing efficiently. You think that the tax system should prop up our Universities? Have a look at the tough time a Politician would have trying to spin that bullshit. Furthermore, Economics shows that Universities are of such importance that they must be funded by the taxpayer to an extent. But if there is an art that is failing in popularity, then it must work hard to fix its issues and debts.
Obviously, I do not care about your theories posed by elderly men in their wonderfully boring thesis published a couple of years ago.

a) "the world can only be socially-powerful if all its markets are performing efficiently." That's more than likely true, and I have absolutely no means to suggest otherwise. But take off your foggy spectacles and look at the situation we're talking about here. This isn't the world, it's an educational institution for Christ's sake. To perform effectively is to be able to invest in future, to be able to perform well at the current time and all those other little measure you've set up, but there's a helluva lot more to it than that pal.

b) "Have a look at the tough time a Politician would have trying to spin that bullshit." Well, it clearly can't be acheived with the current governments. Moving on, the spin doctoring of these ideas is completely irrelevant. The general public is (sadly) concerned only of the amount of cash in their hip pocket, and funding universities isn't up there on their priorities list. Does that mean that they're inherently correct? Of course not.

c) I agree with your last point. If they are failing, then something must be done. However, and I repeat this later, profit is not the only measure of performance, especially for something that provides an intangible asset (for the woeful economists anyway) of great important such as a university - education and enlightenment. Yes, UNSW used to be a degree factory. Hilmer wants to work on that? That's fine by me, but I sincerely doubt that it will be terribly easy for that to happen when you're cutting back on assets and funding to such a vital school.

If the School of Chemistry starts performing and increasing demand for its courses, it will receive more funding from the University, will have more cash coming from its students, and will have more capital to invest in its future.
Is that too difficult for you to understand?
There! There it is! You believe that the ONLY measure of performance from a school at a university is its profit margin, when it's clearly not the only measure. Yes, should the performance of the school of chemistry be increased, I have no doubts that popularity will also increase. I also happen to think that it's fairly logical that once its popularity increases with more students going to that school, that profit margins will also likely go up. It seems counter intuitive to anyone but the most ardent profit prostitute like yourself though, that if anything, cutting funding from a school that's almost unrivalled in its importance to a relevant faculty will acheive anything but an increased performance. It's absolutely asinine to expect that such an important school which obviously incurs such hefty expenses due to its nature will do better when jobs are cut, or whatever the hell other bullshit theories you try to spin on it. FFS, yes, I agree that performance needs to increase, but cutting funding is NOT a logical way to acheive that.

Last edited:

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
The trend may be toward joint subjects with other universities. Maths has started doing it for Honours with USyd.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
unsw is not only the school of chemistry. if money that could be invested in a more productive area is being inefficiently by the school of chemistry, then unsw management are well within their rights to reallocate their funds into something which will yield a higher return.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Oh come on. No self respecting university, especially one in UNSW's position as a reputed science research university is going to cut a school of chemistry.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
yay! finished my exams!

stop arguing over the corporate governance of universities. even if any of you are right, you are in no power to change things. :)

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Hey going to be alittle offtopic here from this democratic debate. But for the 372 route, does anyone know roughly how long it takes for it to get from central to randwick racecourse (dropping off at Alison road nr King st)?

Since most of the time I take the 891 and walk to the racecourse

gman03

HSC
Rekkusu said:
Hey going to be alittle offtopic here from this democratic debate. But for the 372 route, does anyone know roughly how long it takes for it to get from central to randwick racecourse (dropping off at Alison road nr King st)?

Since most of the time I take the 891 and walk to the racecourse
15-20 mins, depending how many people get on in between.. Takes about the same time as 395

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Thanks Gman mate! I was contemplating on whether to catch the 372 around 7:55am, or to get to central early, and catch the 891 then walk.

Ah, I guess I must have made a page break to this topic then...

wow, something going on round the roundhouse in summer holidays?
By the way, hope everyone's finished up for 2006...

Last edited:

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
Summer session is for losers. Who cares if takes and extra year for your degree. Go do some IT.

elfm

HSC
Friday 8 December 2006, 9am
Official Release of Results - All students will have received a results email in their student email account.

Monday 11 December 2006, 12 noon
Results and Academic Standing letters available on myUNSW.

----------

the results are usually released a few hours before the official time.

i believe maths and comp subjects release them a week or so earlier as well :)

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Summer session is for losers. Who cares if takes and extra year for your degree. Go do some IT.
:(

All I have to say to that is; have a look at this year's budget. The Federal Government increased FEE-HELP to $80K for Arts/Science/Engineering/Commerce/Law/Other students, and $100K for Medicine students. In case you have forgetten, FEE-HELP is the only way to get into a course that is full fee paying and still defer your payment.

That, is why i'll be voting for the Coalition at the next election. You're absolutely right. Governments DO need to fund our tertiary system. And if you stepped off your Labor bandwagon for a moment, you might see how beneficial the FEE-HELP increase is.
All I have to say is, I don't care. My interest in this matter isn't based in politics, it's in the university ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)