general UNSW chit-chat (2 Viewers)

karoooh

HSC
Facebook said:
This is being put to the Academic Board's Committee on Education:

Key Features:
1.Two-week mid-semester break in Semester 1
2.Semester 1 to start in last week of February to facilitate two week break
3.Alignment of mid-semester break in Semester 1 with at least one week of NSW school holidays/Easter holidays
4.Mid-semester break to fall after seventh week of class if possible (2 x 6 week blocks of class)
5.“12 weeks in 13” structure, where lectures begin in week 0 and last for 12 weeks, tutorials begin in week 1 and last for 12 weeks. Allows for “sequenced” content in tutorials and labs
6.Rename “week zero” to “prep week” – timetabled as first week of class where relevant. Week when UniPrep, ReStart and related activities held. Participation of students in “PrepWeek” activities as they will be on campus.
7.One of the 2 break weeks in Semester 1 to be used for “projects” (e.g. Engineering Week and field trips).
8.Exam period and study breaks to be restored to pre-2008 duration, but retention of Saturday exams and evening exam sessions.
9.Reduction in number of public holidays during teaching weeks (e.g. none in Semester 1, 2011).
10.Retention of key principles of academic calendar reform (e.g capacity to conduct graduation ceremonies in December).

2009 Academic Calendar:
Dates for Semester 1 are locked in but Prof. Joan Cooper is investigating whether “12 weeks in 13” model can be introduced for Semester 2 timetable. More info soon.

Academic Standing:
A major drawback of model is how it works with regard to the Academic Standing process at end on Semester 1. There are less than 2 weeks between release of Semester 1 results and commencement of Semester 2, thus students progressing to “suspension” or “exclusion” and who are appealing will be disadvantaged as they will need to be chasing up their appeal whilst attending classes.

Thus, it is proposed that determination of Academic Standing (for both PG and UG) be conducted after Semester 1 assessments (including “suspension” and “exclusion”) – but exclusion and appeal process not be initiated. Students would be notified about their standing and those with less than good standing be required to obtain academic advice about Semester 2 enrolment. From 2009, myUNSW will need program authority/ advisor approval for enrolment for those not in good standing. Semester 2 process would be unchanged and programming required to effect these changes.

Recommendations to the COE:
a) Changes to admin arrangements for Calendar be introduced by PVC (Students) from 2010
b) PVC (Students) investigate introducing support for Prep Week and “12 weeks in 13” model for Semester 2, 2009.

a) From Semester 1 2009, Academic Standing process for both UG and PG students be conducted after Semester 1 assessments to determine Academic Standing but not initiate exclusion and appeals process. Students to be notified of standing and those not in good standing to seek advisor approval and advice for Semester 2 enrolment.
b) Funds be provided to modify business systems to support these changes to procedures.
I think I'm cool with that. Except the whole Saturday an evening exams thing. Lame.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Looks like the uni is trying to wind back half the changes that they introduced into the academic calendar this year.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
sunjet said:
No one does work until midsessions, relax kids.
dunno bout that, I've already gotten 2 assignments and theres a lab due tomorrow

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
sunjet said:
No one does work until midsessions, relax kids.
I have papers/presentations/quizzes due at least once a week until after the midsessions.

Mumma

HSC
I have my first computing (COMP2911) assignment due at the end of the week :mad1:

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
I can't imagine what an assignment for comp2911 must be like, after seeing our flan assignment released last week for 1927, I nearly flipped.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
darkwolfzx said:
I can't imagine what an assignment for comp2911 must be like, after seeing our flan assignment released last week for 1927, I nearly flipped.
omg java!!!
cool i wish i did computer science, but then i have to do discrete maths and maths 1B is giving me the shits already.
and i dropped comp1911 so i dont think i would even go for comp1917.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
math 1b...i've deferred that till this summer

I hope I get through it. Past students have told me its no harder nor easier than math 1a

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
darkwolfzx said:
math 1b...i've deferred that till this summer

I hope I get through it. Past students have told me its no harder nor easier than math 1a
as long as it isnt ridiculously harder than math 1A its fine.
but there are abstract topics in vectors which you'll have to get your head around.

i wouldnt go for summer session even if i failed.
uni deprives me of my life so i would definitely not sacrifice summer fun.

EDIT: Murder@CSE is on this session, but I can't be bothered playing. Didn't rack too many kills because I'm not a good stalker like soooooome members on this forum (they know who they are) and I'm not doing any more CSE subjects in the future.

Last edited:

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Forbidden. said:
as long as it isnt ridiculously harder than math 1A its fine.
but there are abstract topics in vectors which you'll have to get your head around.

i wouldnt go for summer session even if i failed.
uni deprives me of my life so i would definitely not sacrifice summer fun.

EDIT: Murder@CSE is on this session, but I can't be bothered playing. Didn't rack too many kills because I'm not a good stalker like soooooome members on this forum (they know who they are) and I'm not doing any more CSE subjects in the future.
How does the murder thing work?
I got an email about it but i didnt really understand :S

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
You sign up and you get given a password. Basically you are a hunter and the hunted at the same time. You are given the picture and name of another participant whom you are to 'kill'. When you 'kill' your target, you receive his password, which you enter into the website to receive a point and the details of your next victim.

Apart from some obvious rules (no killing while the target is in a tute or lecture for example), you are allowed any means necessary to stalk him/her (looking up unsw timetable website, checking their personal webpage for details). You will want to try and hide your tracks. The csesoc website has some more tips.

click here

to see my profile
HSC
To those who catch the bus from Eddy Avenue in the morning and buys the travelpass, do you dunk it into the machines? Is there a point in doing it? I just skip it all the time

Also, something unrelated...nescafe has set up a coffee stand outside the main entrance of the roundhouse, providing free coffee throughout this week

Beege

HSC
click here said:
To those who catch the bus from Eddy Avenue in the morning and buys the travelpass, do you dunk it into the machines? Is there a point in doing it? I just skip it all the time

Also, something unrelated...nescafe has set up a coffee stand outside the main entrance of the roundhouse, providing free coffee throughout this week
Yeah I've always wondered why it is necessary to dip the ticket? I shall probably get some free coffee before my lecture in the morning if I catch a 391/393 bus.

HSC
click here said:

You dip it there, so you don't have to do it on the bus, it saves time and means you don't have to cue as long to board the bus.

It is rare but sometimes there are officers waiting on the bus or where you get off that check your ticket/ travel pass and to hand out fines.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
err you dip the ticket to pay for your ride?

if an inspector jumps on the bus you're fucked, and it does happen (I've seen it a few times on the uni expresses)

edit: beaten

Mumma

HSC
Beege said:
Yeah I've always wondered why it is necessary to dip the ticket? I shall probably get some free coffee before my lecture in the morning if I catch a 391/393 bus.
I rarely ever dip it.

Also I took a look at the COMP1927 assignment. Looks interesting, and pretty difficult for assign1. In COMP2911 we have to implement an array based double ended queue ... pretty straight forward. I guess they made it easy since we've only just started with Java.

uhawww said:
err you dip the ticket to pay for your ride?

if an inspector jumps on the bus you're fucked, and it does happen (I've seen it a few times on the uni expresses)

edit: beaten
Depends on what sort of ticket you have I suppose. If you have one of those limited ride ones, yeah, you should probably dip it. I use a travel pass so I can use it as much as I want, the expiry date is printed on it ...

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
karoooh said:
I guess so seeing as I'm one of them! If I can get a couple of people to come with. :( Unsuccessful so far.

And could you get as many people to come along too? Tickets must go!
kinda wanna go to this now.. lots of peeps i know going

but i doubt i'll be able to live at work the next day... and then the day after that too :( stupid insomnia

-----------------------------------------------------------------
RE ticket dipping: oh yeah it'd be different with a travel pass.. i've always wondered what the point of dipping those even is... i guess to just indicate to the bus driver you have one

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)