general UNSW chit-chat (2 Viewers)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
oh i think i remember what i was doing......i was rolling the massive ball over someone....im gonna hunt for the picture now :p

Beege

HSC
Any idea of when the provisional exam timetables will be released?

emilybradstreet

HSC
Bobness said:
Question 1: In your opinion, what are the aims and goals of Orientation Week?

I believe the aims and goals of Orientation Week would be to promote university spirit amongst returning students; to give opportunities for new students to become familiar with the rugged terrain of Kensington (and COFA) - by wistfully gazing at the infamous stairs; to facilitate social activities for all; and generally to allow academics and school heads to promote the educational aspects of uni life.

The aims will not include AOL or other instant messenger services, and most certainly will be no less than 110 UAI. In fact, owing to the supreme status of Dexters (good show) at UNSW, the goals will not come from the Socceroos; rather from members of the local Nerds FC.

Question 2: Why would you like to be a part of the Yellow Shirt program?

I would like to be a part of the Yellow Shirt Program because first and foremost, i would be able to pass on my knowledge of UNSW buildings and pathways (most relevant to HSC students who have just finished 'Journeys') and passion for the numerous on-campus eateries, libraries and medical centres (most relevant to those with a PhD in 'i sure give a damn') to all the freshmen. Using such lingo reflects how i am a true American Boy (truly ironic as that song is shit, like USYD).

In fact, since we are all university students and have part time jobs at Mcdonalds and other takeaways (especially myself because, you know, i do arts), it would be an honour to point out to all newcomers how the 'time machine' on the library lawns featured in a recent KFC snack box advertisement. It would be Music to the ears of the star trek/star wars/star gate/star...ved students. Especially if they had Radiohead's 'Sail to the Moon' on repeat.

You can tell i like Music (but not Madonna's album). Cultural allusions are my (piano) forte. And all that jazz.

Question 3: What experience do you have working in teams, in leadership roles, and/or helping others?

I have undertaken various volunteer roles at University, in the Faculty of Law and Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. In terms of university life, i actively participate in all forums of debate and was an o-week stall coordinator in 2008. I am a natural leader (I don't know how to put this but i'm kind of a big deal...people know me) where my [leader]ship and steering qualities are reflected by my references to anchor[man]. I am also President of an affiliated ARC Club.

In regards to the question, I work well in teams. Gangs actually. BANG. My political incorrectness allows others to connect with my message. I find this is more effective than the use of a noun, and a verb and 9/11 in sentences.

You stay classy San Diego.

*References in chronological order: ron burgundy, rape, and joe biden. As one can surmise here, i am very good at explaining cryptic messages, especially to new students, such as those found in university handbooks and ARC membership payment schedules.

Question 4: What previous volunteer positions have you held at UNSW? (It's ok if this is the first time you've volunteered)

See above.

See question 3.

See cups. (Actually no, i am a guy).

The most recent volunteer position i held was in the 2008 Law Revue as a script writer. Although my material was not presented (not in its purest form, in any case) i believe it showcases my past dedication to improving the life of present UNSW students, translating into positive transformations within future students. This reflects the intrinsic human condition where the fusion of binary opposite viewpoints toward the hermeneutics of time (past, present, future), leads to a balanced worldview. Sublimity is a *function* of practical actions and abstract psyche, and just like UNSW O-week *differentiates* itself from USYD O-Three days using the *chain rule* (ie CSE revue stalls), i believe i stand out as a volunteer in my past experiences, like Demi Moore's mammaries and *unchained melody*.

DON'T WATCH GHOST THOUGH. I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT. LOUD NOISES. (An insight into the free advice i would give to UNSW students).

As you can see, i really like my literature. Almost as much as volunteering (with its long vowel sounds conveying peace and polysyllabic emphasis reflective of afternoon delights). In the war of the words, I am an English Major. (No, not French Napoleon on Dynamite) oh Captain, my Captain. (And not 'Vote for Pedro').

Question 5: If there is any other information you would like to give to support your application, please supply it below:

Hello.

I just want to say that this has been a productive exercise of procrastination for me, as i put off looking at rape (not in gangbangs, but in the mock heroic of Alexander Pope's Rape of the Lock) within my next essay topic. While i must be candid, and profess that (before i started) i was not overly excited to add another volunteer achievement on my list for 2009, writing this out has been a cathartic experience and i would now consider it a privilege to be asked to be a Yellow Shirt. It is a case of art mimicking life, and my subversive language while hyperbolic, does parallel very well with the enthusiasm i believe i hold towards this grand university of NSW.

Whatever the result, this application has acted as a metaphorised Muse for my uneasy mind. SHINE! (Nah, not that kind of Muse guys). Though time IS running out, as we reach the end of my self-reflexive piece.

I believe i have experienced all facets of UNSW life in my short period at university. The time i have given freely towards creative and entertainment pursuits have enriched my life, and each time i arrive at campus, even the architectural eyesore that is the Scientia building has become endearing. I have shown my expansive knowledge of the cultural life at UNSW; yet what should not go unnoticed (not in me, or in other applications you read) is the second 'home' many of us, such as myself, have constructed between the bookshelves of the library, on the plush sofas at the Red Centre or the mahogany stools in the QUAD. I really hope that the Yellow Shirts of 2009 will keep up the faith, the 'Righteous Brothers', the homeliness of Kensington/Paddington that makes 9am starts worthwhile.

You had me at hello :eek: (should actually watch Jerry Maguire though)
Hahahaha this is so hilarious!

I hope i can get to UNSW next year, coz the uni looks so fun. Think you've sold me on it.

Hope youre there to welcome us too, ahahaha i would probably be laughing the whole time *grins*

And you do arts / law :eek: Do i know you from somewhere ;)

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Forbidden. said:
hahahaha.

oy man i was thinking of Rick Rolling random lecture rooms/halls before the lecturer comes in
lol, Do it in Maths lecture this week wednesday.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
legt2741? hahaha one of the driest subjects EVAR

karoooh

HSC
Hey guys, what's going on?

I got into 2nd-round interviews for YS! But apparently my phone's disconnected because she couldn't reach me - But its not! And she left a number and I tried to call back, but it said it was disconnected. :( It's a sign.

And Helen, I was going to ask if you wanted to come, but I've just realised, before heading home, that I have 5 assignments due this week and next and I haven't started. WAH. :( I'd make a great YS.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Omium said:
lol, Do it in Maths lecture this week wednesday.
ill be watching you.

the calculus guys comes in first eh?
hes not as cool as the algebra guy.

first the computer has to be like "activated or logged in" coz lecturers somehow access the computer first by swiping their card

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Forbidden. said:
ill be watching you.

the calculus guys comes in first eh?
hes not as cool as the algebra guy.

first the computer has to be like "activated or logged in" coz lecturers somehow access the computer first by swiping their card
Yer tomorrows calculus.

lol you'll never find out who i am :).

Yer i like the algebra dude a lot, lol he does 15 laps of the lecture theatre during his lectures.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
LOL i was there on sunday at around that time.

LOL saw shox today and pretty sure karoooh as well. but she was too busy walking with food to cba

Loz_metalhead

HSC
I saw a black and white cat yesterday near the basser steps. First one I have seen since last year.

Last edited:

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Omium said:
Yer tomorrows calculus.

lol you'll never find out who i am :).

Yer i like the algebra dude a lot, lol he does 15 laps of the lecture theatre during his lectures.
them cunts at the front delayed things by asking geoff some stuff but i managed to get a hold of the computer but i couldnt rick roll the class coz somehow the speakers arent linked to the computer or i dont know how.

yes and algebra guy owns.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
Loz_metalhead said:
I saw a black and white cat yesterday near the basser steps. First one I have seen since last year.
i see cats everywhere around baxter college at night.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Forbidden. said:
them cunts at the front delayed things by asking geoff some stuff but i managed to get a hold of the computer but i couldnt rick roll the class coz somehow the speakers arent linked to the computer or i dont know how.

yes and algebra guy owns.
lol i saw you fiddling with the comp it looked like you had it.

Also, Why does this guy seem so familiar......

http://www.chem.unsw.edu.au/staffprofiles/haines.html

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
AS CSE Revue is playing now, here was one of the scripts they used in the show that I wrote but its been changed heavily when it was performed so yeah.

Sexual Education
*It’s a sexual education class for university students and it seems the teacher has his own personal style of teaching the content involved??

Teacher: Welcome to sexual education. The reason for this class is not really to teach you how sexual intercourse happens.. I’ll instead get you to discuss your thoughts and experiences on the activity! Now to begin...

Student 1: Wait! Sir!! *Stands up from seat*

Teacher: What is it?

Student 1: What if we don’t have any experience in... you know... sex....

Teacher: You’re kidding... Are you still a virgin?

Student 1: *nods slowly* Well, yeah... I mean.. The only vagina I’ve ever seen is the one I came out of...

Teacher: ALRIGHT! Thanks for that! Please sit down! Well... Shit, it looks like I’ll need to ask you all a few questions... Who here has had plain sexual intercourse? Please raise your hand...*No one raises their hand*

Teacher: You’re kidding... Who here has not had sexual intercourse?

*Everyone raises their hand*

Teacher: FUCK ME.... There are 20,000 people at this university and I’m stuck with 30 virgins in a sex ed class.... Haven’t any of you been in any sort of sexual situation?

Student 2: I got my penis jammed inside a watermelon once? Does that count? I hope so because it took me ages to get it out....

Teacher: NO, THAT DOES NOT COUNT! *pause* Out of curiosity, how did you get it in there in the first place?

Student 2: Well, it’s simple.... Headfirst....

Teacher: Oh my... At least we’re making progress... So at this rate, looks like I’ll have to do things differently... Listen up! All of you! For my next class, you all have to experience some sort of sexual interaction! And playing with yourself doesn’t count... Unless you get someone else to do it for you... Then I’ll pass you... If you want anything higher than that, you’ll need to do the deed as god intended... Without the use of your hand... One more thing! I’ll fail you automatically if you pay for it... And don’t expect special consideration if you catch an STD afterwards! Any questions??

*Silence for 4 seconds*

Teacher: Good... Because I’ve got one more for all of you.... What faculty are you from??

Everyone: CSE!!
Teacher: *pause* I can already predict a high failure rate..... Looks like we’ll be getting to know each other from now on..... *shakes his head downwards*
*End of Script

Good luck to all you hopeful YS's by the way. To be honest, selections for YS are simply weird? They're after a diverse group of people but even then, there's no saying whether they'd pick you or not?

Bobness, I liked your application but if you'd written half as much, you still would've made it through to the interview round.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)