General UTS chit-chat (2 Viewers)

spence

HSC
Re: The UTS 'Secks and omg it is Week 5 already!' Thread

I reckon i might skip half of tomorrow's eco lecture and go to the pass session, seems like a better use of my time

dram

i do things
HSC

i think that's one of the secrets of uni - discovering what is the most efficient use of your time for each subject, and each subject is different. i got very little from economics lectures, but a lot from tutes. the opposite was true for MPO. i do generally find tutes a lot more useful than lectures though.

maka

HSC

Its all time management.

I have found lectures so useless that I only attend the 1st one every semester as a general rule.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

dram said:
i think that's one of the secrets of uni - discovering what is the most efficient use of your time for each subject, and each subject is different. i got very little from economics lectures, but a lot from tutes. the opposite was true for MPO. i do generally find tutes a lot more useful than lectures though.
Yeah. Tutorials were pretty useful for Economics - I was in the first semester that MyAtlas was introduced and made it into the top class every week. Most of the class involved answering comprehension questions which applied the theory knowledge we learnt and linked it with the real life and the media. Those questions in turn were extremely similar to the ones we got in the final exam.
I found Economics lectures pretty boring too- but that is because I did Economics in high school. If you haven't done economics previously, I wouldn't recommend you skipping lectures- you'd probably find yourself pretty lost looking at the lecture notes.

spence

HSC

Malfoy said:
I don't understand - I'm getting rather high marks (17+ out of 20) in MyAtlas and the class I've been put in is still going through random theory crap rather than applications of it. It's really odd.
yeah the same things happening to me. I got 17 and 19 and we've just been going through the questions. but at least my tutor's good - the only subject that i actually like my tutor

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

Malfoy said:
I don't understand - I'm getting rather high marks (17+ out of 20) in MyAtlas and the class I've been put in is still going through random theory crap rather than applications of it. It's really odd.
Not quite sure what Chris is doing with the quizzes nowdays.. you can ask him about it.

Running through theory the whole time won't prepare you for the newspaper article questions that you get in your final. Chris places the tutorial questions for both types of tutes online doesn't he?

maka

HSC

I found all the Economics tutes and lectures fairly hard to learn in.

Chris Bajada has a lot of knowledge in the area but at 9 am on Tuesday morning was really hard to follow. Maybe I needed more coffee or he needs to slightly dumb down the economics speak a bit.

I do Eco at high school so it wasnt too bad but sitting with some friends they found him to be speaking some foreign language. The technical jargon put them off quite a bit.

My tute was pretty much just marking the homework questions. I went till mid sem and then pretty much didnt attend anymore classes.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC

except when mid semester exams come
wow week 6 already...time really flies, especially when you have long weekends =]

spence

HSC

Malfoy said:
Spence - who's your tutor? I've got Nick, he's okay but goes way too slowly.
Yeah I've got Nick too, I think he's good. What tute are you in? I'm in the one just before the lecture

krayzie_

HSC

what the i've been getting 14 - 16 and I got this asian dude. His pretty good too but he is also just going through the theory parts!

Hey Hur, what are you doing in your u:pass this week? how is u:pass structured? just people popping in or do you actually teach something as in a tutorial? or is it something more like you are there and the people who request help, then you come and help em? lol

maka

HSC

Hi Malfoy,

I was considering coming back to UTS to do Law.

I was just wondering if you could attach the Legal Research and Method course outline to one of your posts.

I am just trying to work oit subject equivalents to try and get exemptions.

Thanks

maka

HSC

Thanks.

I think I may have already done something remarkably similiar at MQ which may be really good.

Like you said malfoy, at UTS you look forward to going to uni

maka

HSC

Hey,

By any chance would anyone have a copy of the Perspectives of Law subject outline?

Thanks

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

Malfoy said:
Exactly. I got 17 for the first assessable one and 19 for the second one. You think I'd be put in a class whereby we were doing something a little more... advanced, I guess... than just running through the theory. I think this entire system is a waste of time, to be honest.

(Though I must say the benefit is that it forces you to study consistently rather than cram, which is something I struggle with because I don't usually study very well.)

Chris places the answers for both online but if you're not getting the opportunity to run through the media-type questions in class what is the point of going to the class?
It was extremely useless when I was MyAtlas in my semester. Like I said- it was the first time they implemented the system- and we didn't even get what marks we got for the quizzes! So we were doing questions every week and not knowing if we were right or not.

krayzie_ said:
what the i've been getting 14 - 16 and I got this asian dude. His pretty good too but he is also just going through the theory parts!

Hey Hur, what are you doing in your u:pass this week? how is u:pass structured? just people popping in or do you actually teach something as in a tutorial? or is it something more like you are there and the people who request help, then you come and help em? lol
I make up 2 page worksheets every week which are normally split into two sections- theory and practical (normally pull them off the textbook- which you didn't do in the tutes). It covers the topic which you cover in your tutorials (one week behind lectures).. so this week is retailing operations.
We work through my worksheet together like a group study session.

Due to demand, I added in an additional section this week for adjusting entries (review of last week).

So my worksheet I will be going through this week is:
1. Review of Adjusting Entries
2. Theory - Difference between perpetual/periodic method, financial report formulas (e.g. inventory turnover etc.).
3. Practical - Perpetual inventory transactions (journal entries).

spence

HSC
Re: The UTS 'Secks and omg it is Week 6 already!' Thread

What do you guys think of the economics pre-released exams? I just scanned through one of them, seems pretty easy

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

spence said:
What do you guys think of the economics pre-released exams? I just scanned through one of them, seems pretty easy
Economics are pre-releasing exams?
How does that work lol.. economics ain't like accounting.

spence

HSC

Huratio said:
Economics are pre-releasing exams?
How does that work lol.. economics ain't like accounting.
No I didn't really explain that well. They've given us two practice example exams

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

spence said:
No I didn't really explain that well. They've given us two practice example exams
Oh nice. I remember that all of the practice exam questions I got in economics were useful.. so you should be ready for the mid-sem when you go in.

Good luck!

maka

HSC

Hey Malfoy....

What subjects are you doing next semester?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)