General UTS chit-chat (2 Viewers)

HSC
Re: The UTS 'Get Naked and Secks' Thread

spence said:
I'm doing it at the moment. These are the assessments we did

damn mpo seems to be alot more work now.

@huratio- yeah i suppose mpo and marketing aren't everyone's cup of tea since it's a more written based assessment structure and very theoretical. but a bit surprised u nailed subs which most people found hard like acct2, i found that challenging because of the lack of instruction from Frank he was terrible

spence

HSC

ifsonotso_100 said:
Really? it still seems quite easy, although the individual assignment average was only about 50, but the group presentation seemed to be marked very generously

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

ifsonotso_100 said:

@huratio- yeah i suppose mpo and marketing aren't everyone's cup of tea since it's a more written based assessment structure and very theoretical. but a bit surprised u nailed subs which most people found hard like acct2, i found that challenging because of the lack of instruction from Frank he was terrible
Yeah, I agree with your comment about FP. He talked rubbish for about half of the lecture and made comments about people walking in late or leaving early in the lectures (when he mentioned about it, it is more distracting).

I did put in the work for ATBD, but I didn't think I would have got that high (98%). Everytime I think about it, there must have been at least a 5% scale across the board.

I guess when I enjoy studying the subject (I enjoy studying accounting), I'll put in the work and probably get high marks for it.
I didn't enjoy studying MPO or Marketing- so I put in less work and that has reflected in the marks that I got for them.

Donski

HSC
N/A

that's impressive. what's atbd?

HSC

spence said:
Really? it still seems quite easy, although the individual assignment average was only about 50, but the group presentation seemed to be marked very generously
im not doubting it's easy- ive never heard of a single person failing that subject. but it seemed that ur sub was more work in terms of assignments though i haven't done it in 2 years lol so maybe have forgotten how much work it was.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

Donski said:
that's impressive. what's atbd?
Accounting Transactions for Business Decisions.

spence

HSC

Malfoy said:
Last Accounting for Business lecture today - TK is awesome, I spent half of it cracking up because he was just being sarcastic and snarky. He and Jon are bloody fantastic. (It was TK's last ever Accounting for Business lecture though, he's not taking the subject any more apparently.) I'll probably end up doing ATBD over Business Strategy, Accounting is good fun.

Also got a bunch of marks back for Business Law & Ethics this morning. I'm sitting on 46/50 going into the exam which makes me rather happy! It's the only subject I'm doing where I'm actually happy with how I'm performing.

Economics kids out there -- do you prefer micro or macroeconomics? I really, really have an undying hatred of macro based on what I've seen so far.
Yeah the last lecture was good, gotta love TK.
And I definately prefer micro over macro. Also, what do you think of the new lecturer? I just forgot his name. I reckon he's alright, but Chris was better

spence

HSC

Malfoy said:
Rod... He was good, but Chris was most certainly better.

Macro annoys me because I keep wanting to yell out, "Go read some Hayek!" whenever he talks about government intervention. (I tend to settle for making geeky political comments to my boyfriend though, he's frustrated with it for the same reasons I am. I really dislike Keynes and his theories to the point that I'm a member of a Facebook group called "John Maynard Keynes Destroyed Western Civilisation" or somesuch. It's interesting seeing a different perspective on economics but I get irritated very quickly - probably because it's my last class for the week.)

I love microeconomics though. It is so much love. Hopefully I'll get to do a whole heap of micro-type subjects later on. I only get one Business major (combined degree) and I've already decided on Economics because I love it, but I just hope there's a micro focus in at least some of the subjects.

Do you think you'll be doing Economics as your Business major or will you be doing something else?
I've heard a lot of people saying they prefer Rod, I don't quite understand this. And yeah I'll probably do it as a second major with marketing. Unfortunately, looking at the handbook, the major seems to focus more on macro than micro, and we have to do quantitative business analysis, which doesn't sound like fun

Last edited:

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC

Yeah I think that Chris is definitely better. But I have the gay night lecture where everyone is zoned out and Rod just wants to go home. I hear stories from my friends about how he makes it interesting, and cracks a joke or two in the morning lectures, and they seem to like him more. I'd say he almost always speaks in a monotone. Can't really complain much though, gets through the material reasonably well.

:/

HSC

Azamakumar said:
Yeah I think that Chris is definitely better. But I have the gay night lecture where everyone is zoned out and Rod just wants to go home. I hear stories from my friends about how he makes it interesting, and cracks a joke or two in the morning lectures, and they seem to like him more. I'd say he almost always speaks in a monotone. Can't really complain much though, gets through the material reasonably well.

:/
when I did macro chris was anything but funny, he was so funny that you went to sleep since his voice was dry and he had the same tone of voice for the entire lecture. He knows his stuff that there is no doubt but is boring as hell.

I prefer macro over micro anyday at Malfoy- when you do Macro you'll enjoy it it's got 2 good lecturers- Peter Docherty who is tops and Harry.

Lol when you acct 2 you'll find it's completely diff from acct 1 it's not fun anymore- it's more difficult though that's not the problem, the problem is frank so acct becomes unfun lol.

HSC

frank takes acct 2 all year round, though summer is supposed to be better from what ive heard he does excursions and knows ur name etc.

Macro was a top subject I learned alot and though the finer theory points ive forgotten the overall understanding is still there and it was pretty practical focusing on the current eco issues.

Chris wasn't popular when I did it- maybe he's improved but his style of presenting the lecture was pretty poor and covered the material at a snail's pace.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC

I never said that Chris was funnier*, I just preferred him more as a lecturer. He seems to get the audience into it more imo. Oh yeah, his handwriting is also legible.

And I was wondering if there was a list of who takes what subjects in upcoming (or even past) semesters. Yeah I get that they change every sem, I just can't wait til I walk in next sem to find out who I've got (again).

Last edited:

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

ifsonotso_100 said:
frank takes acct 2 all year round, though summer is supposed to be better from what ive heard he does excursions and knows ur name etc.

Macro was a top subject I learned alot and though the finer theory points ive forgotten the overall understanding is still there and it was pretty practical focusing on the current eco issues.

Chris wasn't popular when I did it- maybe he's improved but his style of presenting the lecture was pretty poor and covered the material at a snail's pace.
Hmm. Frank is no longer the lecturer for ATBD anymore- it is now Prabhu (ex-CMS lecturer). I heard Frank had some heart problems (not sure if it is correct or not) late last year (apparently he missed a couple of KG lectures). I'm not sure if Frank will come back or not.

I'm going to say I prefer macro over micro too. I didn't mind Chris' lectures - but I tended to fall asleep in them (I did HSC economics- so I would have fallen asleep regardless of who lectured them). Chris is way better than Guy Ta (who took some of the lectures when Chris was away) though.

spence

HSC

Has anyone got their class marks for Accounting yet? My tutor seems to be the only one who refused to give anyone an a for the homework, so apparently our class average is about 7. And then someone in another tute apparently got 8 even though he only handed in homework once.

HSC

Huratio said:
Hmm. Frank is no longer the lecturer for ATBD anymore- it is now Prabhu (ex-CMS lecturer). I heard Frank had some heart problems (not sure if it is correct or not) late last year (apparently he missed a couple of KG lectures). I'm not sure if Frank will come back or not.

I'm going to say I prefer macro over micro too. I didn't mind Chris' lectures - but I tended to fall asleep in them (I did HSC economics- so I would have fallen asleep regardless of who lectured them). Chris is way better than Guy Ta (who took some of the lectures when Chris was away) though.

I didn't know that, Prabhu's a top Lecturer though that may mean a big shakeup to Acct 2 if he continues taking it for a few sems since it's been a rote learn type sub though not to the extent of ABC lol and Prabhu's always had the mindset of creating a bit of understanding aka CMS.

krayzie_

HSC

Spence, yeah I see, hmm the handbook seems to be misleading abit then? Is there any assessment with an online debate at all?

Huration, are you sure Frank has finished with ATBD? Is the new dude any good like TK or Jon Tyler?

My tute for Accounting 1 was Luch, he was pretty cool. :) handed out plenty of A+ and A-'s. Anyway how did you find out your class mark anyway? I checked UTSonline and it wasn't there. :)

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

ifsonotso_100 said:
I didn't know that, Prabhu's a top Lecturer though that may mean a big shakeup to Acct 2 if he continues taking it for a few sems since it's been a rote learn type sub though not to the extent of ABC lol and Prabhu's always had the mindset of creating a bit of understanding aka CMS.
Prabhu took a 3 of our CMS lectures when Greg Pazmandy was away.. he wasn't too bad, but like Greg- his time management is shocking (both tend to overdo theory and leave little time for the lecture demo problem).

krayzie_ said:
Huration, are you sure Frank has finished with ATBD? Is the new dude any good like TK or Jon Tyler?
He isn't teaching this semester, and it remains unknown whether he will come back or not. I hope not though, I could be selected as ATBD PASS leader for next semester.

Prabhu would be much better than Frank (but I've only had 3 lectures with Prabhu).

spence

HSC

krayzie_ said:
Spence, yeah I see, hmm the handbook seems to be misleading abit then? Is there any assessment with an online debate at all?

My tute for Accounting 1 was Luch, he was pretty cool. :) handed out plenty of A+ and A-'s. Anyway how did you find out your class mark anyway? I checked UTSonline and it wasn't there. :)
Nope there's no online debate at all, just the 2 things I attached, as well as the final.

My tutor's Kwan, he said he'd email us in the next day or two, but other tutor's told their class what they got

Edit: I just got the email, I got 7.5. It's still better than if I was option B, so I'm happy

Last edited:

Donski

HSC
N/A

externalities & fiscal/monetary ftw!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)