General UTS chit-chat (1 Viewer)

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC
Re: The UTS 'Get Naked and Secks' Thread

Boo!

Decided to pop on for a bit :p Have been so busy with everything.

1 1/2 more weeks until all my assignments have been done and handed in. 1 more month until this semester of hell is over! Can't wait!! I better not fail anything :p

Hope everyone is well.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

^ Not many first year UTS'ers stayed on.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

Because your partner in crime (jeremy) is no longer active anymore..
I remember when it used to be numerous posts of krayzie, jemsta, krayzie etc...

-pari-

HSC
N/A

huratio:

u mentioned i need to do ABT to do majors like finance/accounting
if i do the busienss strategy option what majors are available to me? management/marketing?
becos i'm thinking if i'm to do ABT i should do it next sem while accounting is stil fresh in my mind, and postpone marketing till 2nd year semester 1....

Jian

HSC
N/A

Anyone has done 31478 Project Management and Quality Assurance?
Do you remember the final exam questions? About 4 questions with long answer.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC

jemsta is more on facebook now ;)
haha

I finished my last assessment for the semester yesterday

this sem with assessments was hell
15 assessments! :(

4 exams 2 now

sucks :(

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

-pari- said:
huratio:

u mentioned i need to do ABT to do majors like finance/accounting
if i do the busienss strategy option what majors are available to me? management/marketing?
becos i'm thinking if i'm to do ABT i should do it next sem while accounting is stil fresh in my mind, and postpone marketing till 2nd year semester 1....
If you choose business strategy, you will be able to choose any of the majors other than finance, accounting and banking (so: advertising and promotions management, economics, e-business, financial planning, human resources management, international business, management, marketing, sports management, tourism).

ATBD allows you to do finance, accounting and banking.

You should follow the normal course structure when selecting subjects for next semester. It will make sure that you don't miss any pre-reqs for subjects in your second and third year and also allow knowledge to be built up (AB to ATBD).
Your first year should look like this:

Year 1
Autumn semester
22107 Accounting for Business 6cp
25115 Economics for Business 6cp
21129 Managing People and Organisations 6cp
24108 Marketing Foundations 6cp
Spring semester
26134 Business Statistics 6cp
79203 Business Law and Ethics 6cp
25300 Fundamentals of Business Finance 6cp
Select 6 credit points from the following options: 6cp
22207 Accounting Transactions and Business Decisions 6cp
21193 Business Strategy 6cp
(http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/bus/ug/c10026.html)

Jian said:
Anyone has done 31478 Project Management and Quality Assurance?
Do you remember the final exam questions? About 4 questions with long answer.
I think jasee would have done it. I have to do PMQA next year =o

goan_crazy said:
jemsta is more on facebook now ;)
haha

I finished my last assessment for the semester yesterday

this sem with assessments was hell
15 assessments! :(

4 exams 2 now

sucks :(
Eww.. 15 assessments =\

Last edited:

krayzie_

HSC

Haha, true true.

What is MPO like? Are the tutorials for MPO compulsary? Or is it a drop in kind of thing and how did you guys find tutorials? Was it worth it or just a waste of time? Oh and how is the online debate structured out?

-pari-

HSC
N/A

oh i actually do business/law

Autumn semester
Spring semester
70115 Perspectives on Law 8cp
70120 Legal Method and Research 6cp

so i dont finish all the first year core subjects till end of second year...

my ATB/buis. strategy option is in 2nd year first sem, hence why i thought i might which structures, so i have the flow from AB to ATB...
but thanks for the info. :)

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

krayzie_ said:
Haha, true true.

What is MPO like? Are the tutorials for MPO compulsary? Or is it a drop in kind of thing and how did you guys find tutorials? Was it worth it or just a waste of time? Oh and how is the online debate structured out?
Well, I may have a biased view against MPO because it gave me the worst mark I've got at uni =\ I did MPO back in Spring 2006, so some of this might have changed:
1) Tutorials are not compulsory.
2) Tutorials supported what was in the lecture, provided some more real life examples. Most of the work is done in a book called the compendium which is an absolute waste of money though- and the lecturer was actually the writer of the compendium and totally rakes in the cash everytime a student purchases a copy.
3) I would not say the tutorials were a waste of time, some of them were useful. You will have to attend to form groups for the debate in tutorials though.
4) I think they changed the debate and how it is presented now- when I did it there were two online submissions of 2,000 words each.

-pari- said:
oh i actually do business/law

Autumn semester
Spring semester
70115 Perspectives on Law 8cp
70120 Legal Method and Research 6cp

so i dont finish all the first year core subjects till end of second year...

my ATB/buis. strategy option is in 2nd year first sem, hence why i thought i might which structures, so i have the flow from AB to ATB...
but thanks for the info. :)
Oh sorry. Yeah, I'd recommend doing ATBD instead of maybe Marketing Foundations if you want the flow. I did AB in Spring 2006 and ATBD in Spring 2007, and I know exactly what you mean. The first 2-3 lectures of ATBD repeats what is done in AB- but I would have found it easier to pick up again if I did ATBD in Autumn 2007 instead.

spence

HSC

I've found MPO to be pretty useless, and I haven't really learned much in tutes. John Pratt's a decent lecturer, considering the content he's working with. There isn't an online debate, the assessment is a 2000word assignment worth 40%, a group presentation worth 20% and a 40 MC final worth 40%. The subject seems pretty easy, I know a some people have already passed, and I only need 4 marks in the final to pass

Last edited:
HSC

^ hmm seems like a subject which was crap to begin with got worse. I think UTS in general is getting more difficult/annoying with the way the sub's assessment structures.

@ huratio what was ur mark let me guess at least a credit in mpo wait no that's too low prob a distinction haha and that's prob bad for u lol!

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

ifsonotso_100 said:
@ huratio what was ur mark let me guess at least a credit in mpo wait no that's too low prob a distinction haha and that's prob bad for u lol!
Wrong lol. I got a pass in MPO. I've scored a distinction or high distinction in all of my subjects at UTS except MPO (pass) and Marketing (credit).

Malfoy said:
I don't see anything wrong with varying the degree structure.

I'm doing Business/Law and what I'm doing looks nothing like the degree structure I'm meant to have (to be fair it's out of necessity, but still...)

I'd do Accounting #2 next semester.

I don't have any business subjects next semester, I couldn't fit them in at reasonable times so I've got three 8cp Law ones instead and will be doing a full semester of Business subjects Autumn 2009 (depending on timetables, naturally.)

I've got the Business Strategy/Accounting #2 dilemma as well... I've decided on an Economics major so I don't necessarily need the second accounting subject, but I don't actually know what Business Strategy *involves*!

Also, how many core Business subjects do they offer in Summer session? I'd like to pick one up in case I can't do a full semester load in Spring 2008 because of timing issues.
Yeah. It isn't too bad for dual degree students like you and I, but if you were a straight Business degree student- I would recommend sticking to the recommended structure in the handbook.

I've been told business strategy is a bit like marketing, but reading the handbook- it doesn't really look like it (http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/subjects/21193.html). Although, you can see that the pre-reqs for the subject are AB and MF.

I guess it is up to you to choose business strategy or not if you are choosing an Economics major.

Summer- The subjects offered last summer are listed here: http://www.business.uts.edu.au/students/summer/. I don't think the subjects offered would change too much this year, but check out the link late in the Spring semester to see.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC

Huratio said:
Wrong lol. I got a pass in MPO. I've scored a distinction or high distinction in all of my subjects at UTS except MPO (pass) and Marketing (credit).
Same for me, but thats coz I did MPO and Marketing in my final semester at uni and I was so lazy coz it's a first year subject and meh lol.

spence

HSC

I'm not doing ATBD, AB has been more than enough for me. Planning on majoring in marketing, and maybe economics

Last edited:

krayzie_

HSC

spence said:
I've found MPO to be pretty useless, and I haven't really learned much in tutes. John Pratt's a decent lecturer, considering the content he's working with. There isn't an online debate, the assessment is a 2000word assignment worth 40%, a group presentation worth 20% and a 40 MC final worth 40%. The subject seems pretty easy, I know a some people have already passed, and I only need 4 marks in the final to pass

Hey are you sure and what year did you do MPO spence? I think it may have changed as some of the weightings you talked about have also changed. I got this from the uts site, link; http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/subjects/details/21129.html

Also thanks everyone who replied. :D

Assessment

Assignment (Individual) 20%

The assignment requires students to write an essay based on the fundamental principles of management. It addresses objectives 1, 2 and 5.

Online Debate (Group) 30%

Students are required to collaborate with team members in an online debate. It requires students to effectively communicate and maintain relationships to work collaboratively. The text associated with the on-line debate will form the basis of the assessment. It tests objectives 3, 4 and 5.

Final Examination (individual) 50%

The examination will be in a multiple choice format. It assures objectives 1, 2 and 5.

Examinations will be conducted under University Examination conditions, and hence thoroughly address secure assessment concerns. Group assessment online is subject to restricted access and monitored by the subject coordinator. Individual essay assessment is subjected to plagiarism detection software.

spence

HSC

krayzie_ said:
Hey are you sure and what year did you do MPO spence? I think it may have changed as some of the weightings you talked about have also changed. I got this from the uts site, link; http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/subjects/details/21129.html

Also thanks everyone who replied. :D

Assessment

Assignment (Individual) 20%

The assignment requires students to write an essay based on the fundamental principles of management. It addresses objectives 1, 2 and 5.

Online Debate (Group) 30%

Students are required to collaborate with team members in an online debate. It requires students to effectively communicate and maintain relationships to work collaboratively. The text associated with the on-line debate will form the basis of the assessment. It tests objectives 3, 4 and 5.

Final Examination (individual) 50%

The examination will be in a multiple choice format. It assures objectives 1, 2 and 5.

Examinations will be conducted under University Examination conditions, and hence thoroughly address secure assessment concerns. Group assessment online is subject to restricted access and monitored by the subject coordinator. Individual essay assessment is subjected to plagiarism detection software.
I'm doing it at the moment. These are the assessments we did

Donski

HSC
N/A

Do you guys still get lollies/chocs for MPO??? I liked the online debate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)