General vs 2u (1 Viewer)

dwksyd

HSC
Hey guys, I'm starting year 11 next year and I'm deciding which maths course to do...
I'm at a fairly decent private school- getting marks ranging from 80-90 this year in all subjects other than maths- however I've had a disrupted year and I intend to study significantly more next year.....
The subjects I've chosen and the corresponding grades to this year are below:
2u maths (average yr10 5.3 mark 50%)
Legal studies (average geography mark 87%)
Economics (average commerce mark 80%)
Modern History (average history mark 85%)
ext english (average english mark 80%)
German (average mark 85%)
- I will most likely drop german\history for year 12 as well as possibly ext english
- I would love an atar of 96, but 85+ would be ok-
- I hate maths, and haven't applied myself well enough this year- I've seen the general maths hsc exams and I think I could easily get 90+ in them with 2 years left of school
My questions:
1. Any recommendations re: subject selection?
2. Is my atar goal realistic?
3. Should I choose general or 2u, would getting 90 in general be better than 70 or so in 2u? is it worth the effort doing 2u when it could potentially take away my time from studying other subjects....

any advice greatly appreciated

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Do 2 unit maths, it'll be better for your ATAR as it scales better. Even though it's a bit concerning that your average is 50%, if you understand the concepts, and apply them with practice and hard work, you'll be fine.

enoilgam

HSC
1) If you have chosen subjects which you think you will be good at and enjoy, then you have made the right selection. Keep in mind that even though you have an idea on what you want to drop prior to the HSC, this is likely to change as you progress through Prelim.
2) It's too hard to say really, but at this point it looks like a realistic goal.
3) It's worth having a go at 2U, if you struggle you can always drop down. In contrast, you cant go up from General to 2U if you change your mind. It's also worth noting that 2U is assumed knowledge for quite a few uni courses.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
1) If you have chosen subjects which you think you will be good at and enjoy, then you have made the right selection. Keep in mind that even though you have an idea on what you want to drop prior to the HSC, this is likely to change as you progress through Prelim.
2) It's too hard to say really, but at this point it looks like a realistic goal.
3) It's worth having a go at 2U, if you struggle you can always drop down. In contrast, you cant go up from General to 2U if you change your mind. It's also worth noting that 2U is assumed knowledge for quite a few uni courses.
+1. This is good advice.

williamdaft

HSC
Good advice up there! Definitely give 2u a try. It scales a lot better than general, and your ATAR goal sounds realistic and 2u maths would help.

tashe

HSC
N/A
Very important point to consider. You still have the entire preliminary course to make up your mind. I would stick with 2U. If you pick general you would may/may not regret not trying 2U. However, if you pick 2U you definitely won't regret it. You can always drop. That way, you won't regret it as you have tried both/tried your best.

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, its definitely a better decisions to at least give 2U a go, as you can move down from 2U to General, but not up to 2U from General. 2U is also required knowledge in many university courses such as Commerce and Economics.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Yeah, its definitely a better decisions to at least give 2U a go, as you can move down from 2U to General, but not up to 2U from General. 2U is also required knowledge in many university courses such as Commerce and Economics.
Don't forgot science and engineering.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

HSC
Definitely give 2U a go. I've heard general maths is pretty much a repeat of the 5.3 course with a few little 'added extras'. You can always drop down to general if you find it too hard, but you can't move up. Ultimately, the decision is up to you... Hope all goes well! :D

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Definitely give 2U a go. I've heard general maths is pretty much a repeat of the 5.3 course with a few little 'added extras'. You can always drop down to general if you find it too hard, but you can't move up. Ultimately, the decision is up to you... Hope all goes well! :D
Don't be silly.

5.3 is much harder than general.

Fawun

Queen
HSC
I went to general maths today and they were learning about the area of a trapezium so...

HSC
I think you misinterpreted what I said. I didn't mention difficulty at all.

The point I was making was that the content learnt in 5.3 covers a majority of the content in general.

study1234

HSC
Doing 2U Maths is definitely worth the effort. Not only does it scale heaps better, but if you're doing a subject that you feel doesn't push you (i.e. General), you're not going to put in that extra effort to succeed, which will undoubtedly lead to a worse than expected result.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)