Genitic Modification (1 Viewer)

Aside from the obvious of increased yeild and so on

*Better adaptability and more able to grow in harsh conditions
* Vaccinations provided through food which are more durable and easier to spread than current vaccines
* Addition of vitamins/minerals for nutrient deficit diets
* Pest/disease resistant forms of crops
etc.

What's your argument against? It's not natural? Almost no food on the market today is - excluding all the chemicals in agriculture, new species have been made by introducing new genetic material for ages now, it's just that was done with crossbreeding, and you're drawing some sort of arbitrary distinction.

Alexander

Gold Member
Exponential growth in population gives no alternative. Soil doesnt stay productive forever, it eventually gets exhausted.
Personally, i'd prefer the space age food pills they promised our grandparents, but never mind.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
What people don't seem to understand is that many things that are GM are happily overlooked - your dog or cat, for example. How do you think we got from wolves to your cute little chiauaua? (sp?) By divine intervention? Like it or not, your humble pet is here due to very direct genetic manipulation, if not as technologically advanced as GM crops. Cows are GM (from wild oxen and such)! Fruits are GM (that cross between a plum and another fruit)! Vegetables are GM (drought resistant crops)! Heck, if it turns out that homo sapiens ARE a cross between cro-magnons and neanderthals, as some schools of thought within the scientific community suggest (and I am by no means endorsing this), WE are GM, even if indirectly!

Genetic manipulation has been a fact of life for humans for thousands of years - people may as well get used to it.

Also, what is so wrong with GM crops specifically produced to reduce dry- and wetland salinity? What is wrong with GM crops bred specifically to produce a high yeild in nutrient- and water-scarce habitats, such as Africa, to feed the millions of starving people there?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Kwayera
What people don't seem to understand is that many things that are GM are happily overlooked - your dog or cat, for example. How do you think we got from wolves to your cute little chiauaua? (sp?) By divine intervention? Like it or not, your humble pet is here due to very direct genetic manipulation, if not as technologically advanced as GM crops. Cows are GM (from wild oxen and such)! Fruits are GM (that cross between a plum and another fruit)! Vegetables are GM (drought resistant crops)! Heck, if it turns out that homo sapiens ARE a cross between cro-magnons and neanderthals, as some schools of thought within the scientific community suggest (and I am by no means endorsing this), WE are GM, even if indirectly!

Genetic manipulation has been a fact of life for humans for thousands of years - people may as well get used to it.

Also, what is so wrong with GM crops specifically produced to reduce dry- and wetland salinity? What is wrong with GM crops bred specifically to produce a high yeild in nutrient- and water-scarce habitats, such as Africa, to feed the millions of starving people there?

.... not really

evolution is quite different. It may be a random process, but it happens over a long period of time so that the environment can get used to it.

However, if we accidentally made a super wheat crop that is resistant to everything, then we may have a situation were wheat covers the world before something is able to counter it.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Few technologies are all good or all bad, and GM crops are the rule not the exception. However, legislation can create a situation where the positive benefits of the technology can be achieved w/o the bad..

- An obvious solution to fears of herbicide-resistant genes spreading to create superweeds is to have rigorous environmental monitoring and force seed manufacturers and farmers to pay for it via a licence fee.

- Concern about GM patents being confined to a few "greedy multinationals" can be solved by spending more public money on crop genetics.

- Implementing labelling systems (Like in the EU) to overcome public concern about consumption of GM products

The GM companies are a huge problem. They copright the specific gene that was modified, not the modified crop as a whole.
It stands to reason, they didnt create the plant, they only inserted the gene into the plant.

Maybe there is a global food shortage, but not in Australia. If GM food was to help with the starving, then the companies, out of their genoristy should export it to Africa and other starving places.

Australia produces more than enough food for it's meagre population. The only thing that importing GM produce is going to bring us is more unempolyment, a loss of our productive output, and a sore blow to our economy.
If Australia didn't NEED GM crops, we wouldn't be developing them would we?

You seem to have a few misconceptions about the purpose of GM food. GM foods are not being developed to help "people in starving places" as you put it (though, all things considered if they adopt the technology in Africa it does have the potential to alleviate some food shortage problems) but to engineer a better product for growers and/or create a product that would be desirable for consumers.

From what you seem to think, GM technology will decrease productive output? If it did that, which it wont, im sure farmers will have the intelligence to not take it up, however, I dont think any farmer could think that disease resistant fruit would reduce productivity ;-) You also seem to think it will harm the economy, but if agricultural output is higher I don't see how it would. Also, GM foods has the potential to create a biotechnological industry in Australia, EMPLOYING people, as opposed to creating the job loss you seem to envisage. Do you propose we ban computers? Because im sure 20 people could act as substitutes for one computer, thus employing people..and helping the economy amirite?

What is wrong with the natural product. There is nothing as good as it, and no real reason to change it.
I think bacteria that can excrete a protective barrier to protect against the HIV virus, or sheep that produce insulin in their milk for diabetics are better then the natural product.

thanks.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
I wonder if the US eat their own GM produce. They probably won't touch the stuff cause if it were unsafe for huamn consumption it wouldn't surprise me. The US always put profits first.
There's a difference between multinationals and a country, however obviously multinationals put profit first - they are companies not charities. The obvious solution to this problem is public research into GM.

QUOTE]basically, US is demanding that the European UNion end its ban on GM crops and to pay them $2.5 billion in lost export compensation. Bushy needs money for troops aye[/QUOTE]

Im really at a loss for words here :-/ But i had to quote it anyway because i thought it was rather funny :p

Quite alot of GM food is consumed both here and in the United States, you think those are all natural soy beans your eating ;-)? Australia also develops GM food.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)