Genre (1 Viewer)

starrysky

HSC
nichhhole said:
ALAS!
i have discovered who you are starrysky!
♥
[Your name is quite amusing to me consideirng in year 7 you sewed4 of the 5 corners of my Dnt project which was a pink star....:)]

Oh and todays exam was very good..
I think my essay was very strong..
the link for me and the key [revenge tragedy..] was quite literal and pathetic.. rather tenuous.. [the key enables her to get into house to exact her revenge..]
but i kinda extended it a bit to say that the key which allowed to her enact her revenge was able to release her heart/GRIEF and emotions etc...

urghhh
haha!
felicitations guys..
ENGLISH IS DONE!
yeah !
Niiiiichhoollleee! Whee. ^___^

Oh the memories - Ms Arms totally gave me the shits ... heh. I actually remember that star! :) Fun times, girl, fun times.

Anybody notice the general consensus that the questions apparently get easier every year? I dunno about that, but my teacher mentioned it in passing and I was just like "Oh? ... I didn't really notice ..."

sickdog12

HSC
i did crime fiction and wasnt really wat i expected....i spoke about how detactment allows composers to be above the conventions and subvert them suiting context and values blah blah blah...pretty shit but heres hoping

the creative on the other hand was better....i had a pre set story and it fit...where there was a sex story turned murder which was really justice with the letter from his dead partner....so hard to explain

HSC
i did revenge tragedy. i actually think the questions get harder each year - more specific atleast, which is what i prefer anyway. nonetheless, i think it was an interesting question, but the creative was annoying. i mean, a key? link to revenge tragedy genre? too random. haha, i also had a pretty lame reference to it. it was a school shooting, and the avenger needed the key to get into the room blah blah, it was pretty lame.
it took me time to realise my thesis for the essay, so i think it was just okay at the start and got stronger near the end. there was so much more i couldve talked about. i pretty much just linked the moral framework to conventions and linked justice and grief to that.

lotrhpfan

lurker
HSC
i did crime fiction and i crapped on about conventions, about how passion => the crime and detachment => the detection. i talked on about the convention of the lone investigator = detachment and how the gruesome quality to hard-boiled fiction (from Big Sleep) => passion. then got totally off topic and just talked all over conventions esp. on Real Inspector Hound. The related material i used was Murder on the Orient Epress and Silence of the Lambs the movie. So yeah. i actually got quite a lot in. I wrote 8 full pages but i got in about 10 words per line and there's 20 lines/page so i got 1600 words approx into that essay. YAY! i'm proud of myself, because i never usually remember my quotes and this time i had about 12 and i remembered them all!! even though some of them were like a whole paragraph!!

It's just a pity that i worked so slowly for the essay though because i didn't get to finish my story - woman killed and unborn child cut from stomach while mother still alive - but i got quite a few conventions in - locked room (train), cut off from everything (in the middle of route), detectives are police = police procedural but i played with them a bit by putting the 'tough' one as a Japanese-heritaged (? lol) woman and her partner being a male but being a fresh-out-of-the-program puppy-dog-eyed wet-behind-the-ears person. lol. and i also used the picture as it being the last thing she wrote to her last living relative... but yeah.

i came out happy but heaps of people said straight away how they had no idea about what to say and that they just waffled on about nothing or just wrote their prepared essay anyway not answering the question.

oh well. XD

Last edited:

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
nichhhole said:
I think my essay was very strong..
Of course it was bloody strong. You're you.

I, on the other hand, made a breakfast out of my exam. Terrible. If they give me 35, I expect pigs to fly over my head.

edan

HSC
My original creative was about a killer who targets prostitutes, leaving biblical references carved into their foerheads. I changed it to him leaving religious letters behind. Less gory (damn) but more fitting.

And it seems I attacked the essay most people did. Passion was the crime, a moment of ferocious emotional intensity. Only by dissociation from the crime could a detective holistic comprehend all variables.

Mevelyn2551

HSC
This exam was awesome! Out of every question in three english exams - not one wierd question. No speeches, convesations between charaters from prescribed texts, or anything like that. Revenge Tragedy was almost a joke.

Speaking of jokes. Go the the main page of bored of studies (the www.boredofstudies.org one), and look at exam thoughts. The link to this forum is misspelt - extenstion. :eek:

Harvey321

KALIFORNIA
HSC
hey i did spec fic
do the markers expect that the microscope be a tangible, major object in your story..
i incorporated it into a simile used by my protagonist i.e. 'Like a nuclear physician, peering down the pitch barrel of microscope...'

then i spoke about it again later...

would that be ok?!

it just said to use the object, not centralise ur whole story around it...!??!

skynet89

HSC
god you people make me feel bad :(. i wrote the whole time and could only get 10 pages for each. for detachment i just interpreted that as how the composer creates mystery/suspense for the responder and passion = crime fiction's ability to appeal to heaps of people through values and conventions

Scorch

HSC
Well, I hope that I can scrape together at least a 35-ish type mark. xD

I think the creative was definitely my strength, I couldn't manage to link the question into values or conventions as much as I now feel I should have. D:

Loza33

HSC
I did Speculative fiction.. our teacher hadnt prepared us at all!!

My story sucked... some chick turned her microscope into a robot and then her lesbian lover left her for a man and her and the robot travelled the world together... well there was more depth in it than that... still sucked though!!

My essay.. i didnt expect that question at all!! But i managed to talk about Dune and LOTR... refered in depth to genre and sub genres place in society, plus talked about each texts relation to society, genre and with techniques and conventions.... meh! itl do!

Im expecting this to be my worst subject so anything over 35 and ill be happy!!

I managed; 9 pages for creative, 15 pages for essay :O:O three booklets!! Never used that much in ext english before.. go me!!

carissa07

HSC
Harvey321 said:
hey i did spec fic
do the markers expect that the microscope be a tangible, major object in your story..
i incorporated it into a simile used by my protagonist i.e. 'Like a nuclear physician, peering down the pitch barrel of microscope...'

then i spoke about it again later...

would that be ok?!

it just said to use the object, not centralise ur whole story around it...!??!
Hey Harvey321.

I don't think the microscope had to be central in the story, but it had to be a "prized object" i.e. precious / wanted but not necessarily the main aspect.
Below the picture, it said: "The microscope is a prized object."

I used the microscope as this guy's way of finding out that the water system has been contaminated by the totalitarian regime, which aims to control people's thought process and eradicate people's ability to dream/use their imagination to transcend reality. So it was "prized" because that guy won it for some random Nobel Prize and the government also wanted to get hold of it so that people don't find out about their dirty little secret. It's a rare and revolutionary microscope - the only type that can focus 1,000,000X and that can detect the tiny microbes in the water.

I suppose I used the microscope quite literally. But it worked, I think.

Really happy - one more exam to go!!! :)
Then :wave:

Last edited:

Magicana

HSC
Loza33 said:

My story sucked... some chick turned her microscope into a robot and then her lesbian lover left her for a man and her and the robot travelled the world together... well there was more depth in it than that... still sucked though!!

My essay.. i didnt expect that question at all!! But i managed to talk about Dune and LOTR... refered in depth to genre and sub genres place in society, plus talked about each texts relation to society, genre and with techniques and conventions.... meh! itl do!

I managed; 9 pages for creative, 15 pages for essay :O:O three booklets!! Never used that much in ext english before.. go me!!
Man that story rules :D

kenny156

Zoidberg Rocks!
HSC
I did revenge tragedy. i thought the essay question was fairly easy- revenge tragedy basically is the pursuit of justice after having been wronged and then grief (either causing the revenge or grief at the end at the destruction).

my story though....woah

did some weird story where a guy had been sexually abused by a priest, he went back and found him after escaping from an institution and crucified him. i never thought i had major issues until i came up with that story...haha i liked the nice symmetry and symbolism though.

they key was random though. i managed to put it in tho-the doctor had a key to his locked files so he killed the doctor to get it. hence unnecessary destruction. i think i did ok. a booklet and a half for both. how many pages in a booklet?? i havent counted...:p

anyone have any major difficulties?? i think our teacher prepared us well. the crime fiction kids at school didnt really like the essay though.

Evercursed

Troubled Thinker
HSC
I myself didn't really like the story and the motif of the key. In the end, I managed to link the key to the victim's past as a concentration camp guard but I didn't feel happy with what I did.

24 pages overall. 16 for essay and 8 for creative. Hopefully 40+

Mevelyn2551

HSC
kenny156 said:
did some weird story where a guy had been sexually abused by a priest, he went back and found him after escaping from an institution and crucified him. i never thought i had major issues until i came up with that story...haha i liked the nice symmetry and symbolism though.
how many pages in a booklet?? i havent counted...:p
Lol... good story. Just hope you dont get some extreme fundamentalist christian marker ;)

There are 8 pages/booklet in the extension 1 exam.

And yes, Zoidberg does rock.

Hallatia

HSC
I did revenge tragedy and thought the question was a wank. It was just obvious and if you did not want to dribble it was hard to put too many pages into it because it was one of those straight forward ones you could answer in minimal time. I found myself done bt I did not want to be done, so I trried extending my conclusionso it would not all be the same shit regurgitated and the question specified we only refer to 2 perscribed texts, I would have loved to have spoken about 3.

I thouht it was bizarre that the creative specified that we do a short story. I liked how the picture was quite obscure though, so that you would have to put greater thought into linking it with revenge tragedy. With last year's picture I thought could get a lot of similar responses but with this one I do not think that would have been a problem. I was quite happy with mine though, the most pages I had written for any response so far in this HSC.

HSC
I done crime fiction and was pleased that we only had to add an object! For the essay i was at first a bit weirded out by it though i interpretated it eventually.

I discussed how detectives are passionate to solve the crime as well as criminals passionate with their motives to undergo a crime.
I discussed how the detective is detached from the perverted society through their passion and values and need for justice. How the sub-genre of closed circle setting relies on detachment from the world to create mystery and suspense. As well as how detectives have to be detached from the events to care to passionately otherwise they wont thinl with their head but instead their heart.

Abbyruth

HSC
Loza33 said:

Yeah, that's an awesome story! I did spec fic too, and wasn't really prepared. I think I did okay in the creative part but the critical killed me, I wasn't prepared at all and had no idea what to say in terms of resistance. Oh, well. It'll be interesting to see what mark I get. Maybe.

doubea

HSC
sickdog12 said:
i did crime fiction and wasnt really wat i expected....i spoke about how detactment allows composers to be above the conventions and subvert them suiting context and values blah blah blah...pretty shit but heres hoping

the creative on the other hand was better....i had a pre set story and it fit...where there was a sex story turned murder which was really justice with the letter from his dead partner....so hard to explain
My teacher was like whatvever you do don't prepare an answer... So i didn't... But i wish i had! I recon they did the story easy to compensate for the retarded essay question. I read it in reading time and was like WTF... But yeah i focused mostly on composer passion and kinda just made up the detatchment side. I nearly ran out of time for the creative (i did it second) and the last line of the story was the killers name. SOO scary i nearly couldn't fit it in. ADVICE: DONT DO THAT! Glad that its over though... No more english! Yippeeeeee

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)