Geography 2009 HSC Marathon (1 Viewer)

kbsb

HSC
Analyse the linkages of people, goods, services and ideas in an economic enterprise operating on a local scale.
for this question would we talk about linkages on local, natiional and global scale?????

Magagie

HSC
so what is the diff betwen local relief and relief and .... please help here..im not sure if im rite

If the highest point in an area is 853m but the lowest contour is 650, the relative relief of the local area would only be around 200m [this is from a skills book..]
but I thought that local relief was the dif between the highest and lowest points…now I’m really confused

tonyharrison

HSC
Analyse the linkages of people, goods, services and ideas in an economic enterprise operating on a local scale.
for this question would we talk about linkages on local, natiional and global scale?????

..The question says local. You can refer to examples of global but main focus is definitely local.

simplyyme

HSC
ned help with this questions
"Describe the operation of ONE economic enterprise and its impacts on the human and biophysical environment ...in the impacts part is it environmental, social and eocnomic impacts or just environmental

if i was to answer this question i would talk about the actaully running of the enterprise as well as what it does and stuff- you know a basic outline of what the enterprise does, and then its impacts on the biophysical and human environment- and as i believe that the impacts arent just environmental i' d talk about how it affects the others and just not environmental, which practically ties in with the impacts presented.

this question is fairly basic, it just asking how the enterprise is run and its impact on the biophysical and human environment.

Riveting

HSC
Right, bit of a late post considering the HSC is pretty much over but can someone explain to me 2 things:

- Vertical exaggeration. Kind of having a mind blank on that
- The scale sizes: i.e. if it says which source has the smallest scale, is it the big map? or the closest in photo?

TY in advance people, its been good reading thus far.

simplyyme

HSC
vertical exaggeration is used i think during cross sections/transects
to work it out
vertical exaggeration = vertical scale/horizontal scale

for the scale sizes, i think it is the big map, cause 1cm would represnet a smaller distance on a more close up map.

Riveting

HSC
Okies, thank you very much. I figure might as well continue on with the cram.

Case studies megacities: Mexico city + Dhaka
world city: london

People/places/economic activity: tourism + local resort

Ecosystems: dunes, mangroves.

So stoked when this is all over. My livers been feeling somewhat cocky of late.

sweetphilly92

HSC
Local and relative relief are the same thing. Local relief = Highest pt minus the lowest measurable point.

Think of a scale like one does with a model car. If something has a scale of 1:1, then it is at normal size. That is the largest scale. The smallest scale is smaller, if it is a 1:200, then it is 200 times smaller. So, the picture that looks closest to real size is the largest scale, the one that looks like it belongs in a miniature museum (really far away) is the smaller scale.

Vertical Exaggeration is the Vertical Scale over the Horizontal scale, shows the exaggeration of the height of objects in order to make it visible (take a cross section of australia for instance, if you were to have a vertical exaggeration of 1, then the cross section line would appear flat (2.228km high across about 3000km wide).

I use The GBR as a case study and Stuart's Point as a backup (coastal dunes) for ecosystems,
I use mexico city, cairo and mumbai as case studies for mega cities, they have different challenges and solutions, and therefore are all v useful.
And I do Viticulture/Winemaking, and use Banrock Station (in S.A) as my local.

Finally, i'm off to bed, good luck everyone tomorrow - I bet everyone has worked hard for this, and the knowledge will come to you tomorrow in the exam. DON'T PANIC.

And lets all pray for a nice, broad, simple set of extended responses. :D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)