Geometric reasoning abbreviations (1 Viewer)

Deliriously

HSC
How lenient is the HSC with abbreviations in reasoning?
eg. The angle between a chord and tangent at the point of contact is equal to the angle in the alternate segment.
Could we use the symbol < for angle? etc ..

Makematics

HSC
I believe there is a list of what you can and cant use, but abbreviating angle is fine :)

Also, while were on the topic, are we allowed to write (angles in same segment are equal)? I dont know the full name haha

Web Addict

HSC
Just wondering, instead of writing 'the angle between a chord and tangent at the point of contact is equal to the angle in the alternate segement,' are we allowed to just write 'alternate segement theorem?'

RayRay

HSC
Just wondering, instead of writing 'the angle between a chord and tangent at the point of contact is equal to the angle in the alternate segement,' are we allowed to just write 'alternate segement theorem?'
they are pre strict on it now.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
That should be fine since you are giving the actual name of the theorem.

AnimeX

HSC
N/A
I believe there is a list of what you can and cant use, but abbreviating angle is fine :)

Also, while were on the topic, are we allowed to write (angles in same segment are equal)? I dont know the full name haha
yeah my teacher said that one is fine

That should be fine since you are giving the actual name of the theorem.
how about like "secant secant rule, secant tangent rule and intersecting chords rule?" are they fine aswell?

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
how about like "secant secant rule, secant tangent rule and intersecting chords rule?" are they fine aswell?
Pretty sure you can. It'd be a bit disappointing seeing a teacher dock marks for that.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
If your abbreviations are communicating the right message then it should be okay. I personally wrote the full wording because my school was very strict about it plus it is the safer option.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yes.

Yes.

Deliriously

HSC
Awesome, thanks for the clarifications. Makes writing these reasonings so much easier since my school was pretty anal on writing out the full thing.

Web Addict

HSC
Awesome, thanks for the clarifications. Makes writing these reasonings so much easier since my school was pretty anal on writing out the full thing.
Agreed.

Just wondering, are there any abbreviations for the theorems about equal intercepts on a transversal?

RayRay

HSC
Will they penalise people for the abbreviations, ie if they want to differentiate people if the exam is relatively easy?

Web Addict

HSC
Will they penalise people for the abbreviations, ie if they want to differentiate people if the exam is relatively easy?
I doubt it. It would be invalid to deduct marks for abbreviations that would be accepted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)