Geometry (1 Viewer)

Shazer2

HSC
I'm just curious.. at first does everyone find congruency/similar triangles a difficult thing to do? I struggle immensely with both, and wondering how I can improve or will I eventually pick it up as second nature?

enak101

HSC
Heh, I struggle with geometry in general but similarity/congruency isn't too bad for me.

Try and remember this

Similarity concerns angles- AAS, AAA,
Congruency concerns sides- SSS, SSA, RHS

I might be leaving some out but its a way I remember roughly what they are about. Someone else will post with a comprehensive guide after me lulz.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Geometry is something that I believe you will only learn by doing questions. I personally found the topic difficult for me as I'm not someone to pick up on things straightaway, however through a lot of practice, I got the hang of recognising sides/angles instantly.

As for the tests, I've listed them below:

Congruency
SSS
SAS
AAS
RHS

Similarity
AA (equiangular)
SSS (sides in proportion, not equal)
SAS (sides in proportion)

Remember for congruency tests, you're allowed to write down the abbreviation to complete your proof. For similarity proofs, you have to write the whole thing out (e.g. two pairs of sides in proportion and included angle equal)

Shazer2

HSC
Yeah, I've basically just been copying the answers from the back since I get nowhere with them. :/

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
sly

For Similarity: SSS all equal is OK - the triangles are then congruent - and all congruent triangles are similar but not vice versa (i.e. not all similar triangles are congruent).

Also: Shazer - get someone (yr teacher, friend, . . . ) to help you.

Last edited:

Shazer2

HSC
sly

For Similarity: SSS all equal is OK - the triangles are then congruent - and all congruent triangles are similar but not vice versa (i.e. not all similar triangles are congruent).

Bit late for helping now since all these topics are due tomorrow but I'm sure we'll encounter them sometime throughout year 12, so I'll more than likely get extra assistance then.

HSC
Bit late for helping now since all these topics are due tomorrow but I'm sure we'll encounter them sometime throughout year 12, so I'll more than likely get extra assistance then.
PM me, I will help you when I'm not busy. I promise to you that I will reply to all your messages. :)

Shazer2

HSC
Thanks dude! I need to work hard this coming year. :)

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
sly

Yes, for congruency the sides are equal, whereas for similarity it's simply in proportion.

If they're equal, they're in proportion anyway :p

such_such

HSC
I think you just need practise, practise and practise! At first, it's difficult, but then after doing a lot of the same type of questions, you'll immediately know what to do at first glance.

nifkeh

HSC
I'm just curious.. at first does everyone find congruency/similar triangles a difficult thing to do? I struggle immensely with both, and wondering how I can improve or will I eventually pick it up as second nature?
yeah I find the non-obvious ones hard/somewhat hard

Shazer2

HSC
That's good. I hopefully can improve with more consistent practice :D I thought I was just dumb.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)