Getting 80% compared to 70% in 2U maths (1 Viewer)

leoyh

mic`
HSC
no because general is perceived to be easy whereas 2u is harder so would scale better if u got 70 in it as opposed to 80 in general

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
I used the SAM calculator and looked at the contribution to your HSC via the aggregate score.

undalay

HSC
above information does not reflect raw marks (which i assume is what the OP is talking about)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
if so, you can't really judge, a 70% could be shit in one year but good in another.

Bainesy

HSC
if you can do 2u to a 70-80% level, then you should be able to do general to a 90+ level

so take general and put in the extra work and you should be able to get 90+

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
i agree with tommykins.

A mark of 80 in GM is better then 70 in 2u.

Assuming 2 people are ranked first internally.

but overall getting a band 5 is better then a band 4.

the difference becomes evident when a 2u and Gm have the same mark.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
risole91 said:
i agree with tommykins.

A mark of 80 in GM is better then 70 in 2u.

Assuming 2 people are ranked first internally.

but overall getting a band 5 is better then a band 4.

the difference becomes evident when a 2u and Gm have the same mark.
I am not trying to cause offence: 2 Unit Mathematics is much harder than General Mathematics. Trust me: difference between these two mathematics is like difference between year 7 mathematics and year 10 mathematics. According to common sense, a mark of 80 in GM should not be higher than 70 in 2U. I am guessing 85 in GM would be close to 70 in 2U

ticky2002

HSC
N/A
I think I should have listened more to my brother then my teacher and done General Mathematics rather then Mathematics (2U).

He said: your better to do an easier subject that you can go well at then go not that great in a harder one. [not applicable in all circumstances]

Also my a teacher last year told us that General and 2U scale almost the same lately,.

I advise you to do General.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
Based on what, HSC 2004 data?

Or is it 2005 now.
It's the best source I had at bay, so if you can provide a better one, that'd be awesome - rather than be a smartass about it.

lyounamu said:
I am not trying to cause offence: 2 Unit Mathematics is much harder than General Mathematics. Trust me: difference between these two mathematics is like difference between year 7 mathematics and year 10 mathematics. According to common sense, a mark of 80 in GM should not be higher than 70 in 2U. I am guessing 85 in GM would be close to 70 in 2U
Please don't mistake me for taking General maths to be up to par with 2unit, I know the vast difference in difficulty, but from the graph I have just posted, it seems General 80 scales more than 2unit 70, that is all I'm basing this on.

Seems like noone else has been able to provide a source of their statement.

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Many people just automatically assume that because 2U maths is harder, it should have a higher scaling than General Maths. This is true, but the "good scaling" only applies when you do well; If you do well in 2U, you'll get scaled up. An approximate mark of 73 is the safe spot, where you won't be scaled down.

But if you were to compare 2U and General:
A mark of 70 in 2U is UAI equivalent of 67.2. That is in the BOTTOM 31%
A mark of 80 in general is UAI equivalent to 74.1. That is the TOP 23%

People might argue that 2U is better, since General Maths has "low scaling", but that is only true in certain scenarios. If you're in the top 20%, as compared to your bottom 20% in 2U, your final scaling will hit you quite hard if you stayed in 2U and got an unsatisfactory mark.

K@LLo

HSC
minijumbuk said:
Many people just automatically assume that because 2U maths is harder, it should have a higher scaling than General Maths. This is true, but the "good scaling" only applies when you do well; If you do well in 2U, you'll get scaled up. An approximate mark of 73 is the safe spot, where you won't be scaled down.

But if you were to compare 2U and General:
A mark of 70 in 2U is UAI equivalent of 67.2. That is in the BOTTOM 31%
A mark of 80 in general is UAI equivalent to 74.1. That is the TOP 23%

People might argue that 2U is better, since General Maths has "low scaling", but that is only true in certain scenarios. If you're in the top 20%, as compared to your bottom 20% in 2U, your final scaling will hit you quite hard if you stayed in 2U and got an unsatisfactory mark.
May I as what is a safe mark for 3 unit maths so scaling can be in your favour?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)