getting 99.95.... (1 Viewer)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
what do you mean by natural ability??
Typical measure could be IQ.

Hypothetical situation:

A and B have the same level of work ethic. They study for the same quantity of time.

Yet A consistently outperforms B by a large margin.

Theoretically, A either has:

1) More luck

or

2) More natural ability

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Typical measure could be IQ.

Hypothetical situation:

A and B have the same level of work ethic. They study for the same quantity of time.

Yet A consistently outperforms B by a large margin.

Theoretically, A either has:

1) More luck

or

2) More natural ability
Hey can you please expand more on Natural Ability?

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
...natural ability is a really good topic to discuss about, I likeeee it!

Fade1233

HSC
N/A
I aimed but missed, yet got no chance to aim again but I keep walking to see if I can get a closer shot but none to be seen so far.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
I aimed but missed, yet got no chance to aim again but I keep walking to see if I can get a closer shot but none to be seen so far.
What degree did you want to study at uni and at which Uni?

Mrmellow

HSC
I turn 17 in year 12. Lolz, probably don't have the emotional maturity of the other guys ;)

siggy

HSC
I believe more quality over quantity of study is important. Just because one over performs someone who is studying more does not mean due to 'talent', It means that the student who knows what he/she is doing - what to be studying - is beating the other due to superior method.

I think talent comes more into play with time management, writing / mathematical speed. Etc. But these are also improved with practice.

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
I turn 17 in year 12. Lolz, probably don't have the emotional maturity of the other guys ;)
wow you're only 15 and ur in year 11! ur smart and I bet you turned 15 like this year!!
99.95 is a walk in the park for you.

HSC
Straight to uni

I'm going to take advantage of the fact that I'll be a year younger than everyone else, you know graduate earlier etc :) Perks of skipping grades

what about you?
Woahh how did you skip grades? Never knew that could happen

HSC
The teacher and my parents decided that I found year 5 too easy and the principal was like "cool do a test and if you pass you can go to year 6" so yeah haha
But I'm not that far from the cut-off, which is July end whilst I'm mid-September haha
so all good :)
Wow haha ! Nice

emilios

HSC
Hmm well let's put it this way, 1920 people in the state receive an ATAR above 98, while 960 people in the state receive 99+ and a mere 48 people receive 99.95.

Aiming that high has more to do with self-satisfaction, pride and I daresay ego than anything else. I know the saying, shoot for the moon, and if you miss you'll land amongst the stars, but yeah just don't be too disappointed if things don't go your way. As others have said, it's pretty tough to discern between the ability of students past a certain level, say 99.6+, so luck does play a pretty big role. What if the Mod B essay I memorized for English fit the essay question perfectly, or if my creative piece was perfectly adaptable this year? What if I had all my weetbix on the morning of the 4U paper and in the last 15 minutes, something clicked and I was able to figure out the last question lol?

The only practical reason for wanting .95 would be to enter USYD Combined Med, which is fair point I guess though. Still, that's only for the students who didn't do well enough in the UMAT. I'm sure the intelligence is correlated somewhere there.

iStudent

HSC
High ATAR also helps for other med courses... like UNSW where a high ATAR would let you have a lower UMAT/interview score.

Triage

HSC
N/A
Lets say I were to set an alarm for myself for 6.00am and make myself the promise that tomorrow I will get up early. It requires effort, but when you do it, you feel satisfied. Now if something as trivial as waking up can give you even the tiniest level of satisfaction, then surely something that requires a year of dedication and sacrifice will feel incredible. Of course, as previous posters have said, it requires an element of luck. Similarly, if I only wake up after the alarm has rung for 1 minute, I wake up at 6:01. I doubt any reasonable person would suggest that this tiny difference is enough to right it off and say you have failed to keep the promise to yourself.

As such, my to be reasonable aim was put in place at the beginning of the year as a symbol for my 6:01. I have deemed it reasonable that if I exceed 99.00 then I have not failed myself and I thus completely deserve the feeling of satisfaction following the year.

Edit:
I am definitely not saying you should be dissatisfied if you get below 99. It's all about the goal you set and the extent to which the goal was challenging without being ridiculous.

Similarly, I am not saying that if you didn't set a goal then you should be dissatisfied. Admittedly, you will miss out on feeling of keeping a promise to yourself, but it is not a negative feeling, just a neutral one.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)