Getting Ahead in the Holidays (1 Viewer)

55746187max

HSC
Hey,

this summer holidays, i am really committed into working/studying hard to get as far ahead as possible.

i was wondering, wat are the most effective ways to do this? should i just go and make notes on every point in the syllabus? or read and do questions from my text books?

those holiday hsc workshops are looking appealling too

help us out, cheers

Foxodi

HSC
I also plan to sacrifice half of my summer holidays to get ahead, though I think the studying techniques will differ for each subject.
English I'll prob just write some essays on cloudstreet and read the text's we will need later in the year (and making summaries on them?)
Modern I'll just make a compact summary on WW1 (and w/e our next topic is)
SDD I'll prob aim to make summaries of the entire textbook (since my teacher is hopless, its best if I teach myself the entire course asap and just drill it in my head)
Maths I'd just make summaries for the concepts and some questions on each concepts
BS I make tanky summaries for each topic, from the textbook.

You only remember lik 10% of what you read?
But 40% or something of what you write... so yea, thats why I favour the summaries.
Then next term I can just do half yearly practice papers each week, to get in plenty of question practice and make sure I'm remembering when I read my study notes.

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
i really don't think you should make notes on all the dot points because you'll probably be doing them superficially and with little understanding. i mean cmon, a years work x however many subjects you do in 5 weeks?

but definitely work hard throughout, i'm personally going to try get a draft of both of my majors done and get a lot of reading done. i'm also going to revise everything i've done so far and briefly look into what's comming up.

Foxodi

HSC
Rhanoct said:
i really don't think you should make notes on all the dot points because you'll probably be doing them superficially and with little understanding. i mean cmon, a years work x however many subjects you do in 5 weeks?
But I find that working from home you can move through the course way faster then what you'd do at school, and my major subjects I'd summarise is software and business - both are jam-full of extremely easy to understand concepts :)

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
I'm going to learn Year 11 Maths (which I am lacking in), Motors and generators toic for Physics and next topic for geography (urban development I believe it is).

Zephyrio

HSC
Mate, with all these assessment tasks, I'm more concerned with catching up!

And possibly going ahead in a few subjects. We'll see. Got heaps of stuff to do for extension history and English during holidays.

zaqwerty

HSC
I think, if you need it, you should put more focus on catching up and actually studying what you've already learnt at school, rather than summarising a whole years worth of work. To get ahead is a good idea, but perhaps only a topic or part of a topic, rather than the whole course.

Personally, I think reading all your English texts is a good idea, and any texts you may have in other subjects (for example, history extn.). It is also a good time to practice maths (if you do it), but I highly recommend you only practice what you've learnt at school because it is highly likely that you will only waste time trying to learn from a textbook that which must be taught by a teacher.

I say give yourself till Christmas/New Year to begin your school work. Have a break, you deserve it.

For content based subjects, I know I said not to learn the whole course, but perhaps just read through the textbook of the topics you are doing. This is only if you want an general idea of what you'll be learning. Besides, history students, if you actually enjoy history, you will probably take pleasure in reading through the topics!

Obviously the break will be a great time to work on major works. I suggest if you have any you really utilise this time! Don't waste your time "getting ahead" in other subjects if you can use this time to actually make progress on your work. You will never have as much time again to concentrate purely on your work.

Draw up a set of goals or a timetable for when you can fit in your school work. This way you know you are getting everything done that you need to get done. Make sure you put the most "urgent" things at the beginning of the timetable so that you get the most important things done first and so you dont waste time getting ahead in one subject when you need to catch up in another.

I know that I had massive plans for the summer break that I hardly lived up to. This only left me with a sense of deflation and I felt like I had achieved nothing. Don't set your goals too high, but do have them. And don't forget to enjoy yourself, the next 10 months of your schooling life will be quite hectic!

HSC
hmm these holidays i also plan to study
hmm i was thinkin bout sumerising all the dot point ive done so far for chem and bio
and well just doin pratice hsc papers
and yer having fun aswell cause like were all still young cant waste all our free time devoted to the hsc cause thier is a life beyond it haha

a.Limjoco

HSC
These holidays... hmm, I ain't so concerned on the overall senior topics. I'm going to bury myself in HSC Half Yearly Topics (no, i mean im going to dig deep) and we'll see where we go after that. Have fun all.

Merry Christmas :)

IMTB

HSC
Whatever it is, as long as it is HSC related work, its going to help. like making notes for syllabus, if u r going to do that throughout the year anyway, why not get started now? and same with the questions from textbooks and those hsc guides, the more questions u do the better u get at the subject so may as well cram as much as u can now! doing the work now in holiday time (more relaxed) will help u during those later stressful exam times, cos believe me, once holiday is over, u will be buried in assessments and exams !!!! and before u know it, hsc is here and over! so have fun!
AND GOOD LUCK! :D

jessica.ann

HSC
I want to get a good proportion of my major works done..
ext 2 and va.. thats 3 units
and then read all my texts for english adv and ext 1 and find all my related texts..
maths... just go over what we hav previously done and skim read the next few chapters
geo... get up to date from the syllabus on what im missing, and read the text book on the next chapter

that is about all i can do
and i hav enrolled in a summer school for advanced eng and 2 unit maths

does any1 hav any suggestions of what i shud b doing.. im doin 4 unit english (film), art, maths, geo and entertainment....
im loving wat im doin atm which is great...

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC
I would basically be catching up on my work, like many of you.
And I will read ahead for the English texts. And do all the homework which will be set.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
i have a book to read.
ill do the syll. points.
but no actual getting ahead, unless summer has no alternative fun..

Zephyrio

HSC
Actually, I think I might get ahead.

- Essays for Journeys, Emma/Clueless and Wild Swans
- History extension research and notemaking on the historians.
- EE2 Research
- Consolidaying The Castle notes, maybe starting on Heaney and Proulx. (Better read TSN)
- Chemistry - aim to finish Acidic Environment by the term's start.

This is just so I don't cram for the half-yearlies. LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)