Getting into Cambridge from the humble HSC (1 Viewer)

furansugo

HSC
I go to Yale.

I think I read somewhere that Oxbridge prized themselves on not taking into account extracurriculars, and only taking the brightest academics. I think if you went to IMO and you were applying for a mathematics degree, or if you'd interned in some banks and you were applying for economics, that might give you an edge, but I can't see how playing basketball at a high level or something would help you out in admissions.

X

xeuyrawp

I go to Yale.

I think I read somewhere that Oxbridge prized themselves on not taking into account extracurriculars, and only taking the brightest academics. I think if you went to IMO and you were applying for a mathematics degree, or if you'd interned in some banks and you were applying for economics, that might give you an edge, but I can't see how playing basketball at a high level or something would help you out in admissions.
Don't get me wrong; it's certainly not as much as in the US, but they are often brought up in the interviews at colleges.

HSC
Woah okay, before you even think about Oxbridge you need to think about your finances. Unlike US universities, the UK doesn't offer that much financial aid at the undergraduate level for international students. It costs a fucking ton and you're on your own basically. I'm postponing my plans for the UK till postgraduate because it's a ridiculous amount of money which I don't have.

Secondly, yes they do care about ECs but in the way that shows your interest in the degree program you want to take. What they are looking for in your personal statement is a genuine passion/interest in what you want to do - nothing mercenary or fake. So, if you don't do any ECs now, please do - not only for the UK, but also domestic university scholarships.

Secondly, the interview/application is important. Don't disregard these and just focus on marks. The interview process is also fucking hard (keep in mind, I was looking at doing an LLB).

dionb2014

HSC
I'm not really too worried about cost because my parents will pay. So are you saying that the mainly want EC's that are related to the subject that you want to study?

furansugo

HSC
I think so. The cases I've heard where it's helped a lot have been olympiad medals or honourable mentions.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
dionb2014, you sound like an ambitious person so I think you should go for it and see what happens!

zhiying

HSC
What a beast...very jelly

@OP, give it a shot but you might need better marks than those you posted, if that is the final HSC mark you're talking about. Just don't TOO much hope and prepare back ups. Plus you're in year 9 so if I were you, I'd be relaxing for another 2 years haha

dionb2014

HSC
Yeah I probably should be relaxing and not feel guilty. After all the more I relax know the more revitalised I will feel in yer 11 and 12. haha. I just put those marks in an atar calculator and came out with 99 so I was only really going for an estimate.

Kittikhun

HSC
Just out of curiosity, where are you going to stay in the UK? Do you know how much it would cost for the whole thing (even if your parents are going to pay for all of it, take this into consideration)? How well familiarised are you in English culture? Are you prepared to be tangibly separated for some time from your close family? Think about these questions very carefully before getting the ball rolling on this thing and remember that the amount of money, fame, and prestige you have doesn't always correspond to your happiness and the lessening of pain and suffering in life. I'm not trying to suggest you forget this thing, I'm just worried that you have not figured this out thoroughly enough and that, frankly, your motives for doing this are pretty naive (sorry, but I am going to be forthright with you as I had pretty much the same mental outlook as you when I was your age). Also, mentally prepare yourself for the moment when you hear the news that you don't get a spot whilst also being optimistic--prepare for the worst, yet hope for the best. Finally, don't make this plan concrete. Be flexible as your plans will change with the more life experience you get and the more new information you absorb. Trust me, they will.

dionb2014

HSC
Just out of curiosity, where are you going to stay in the UK? Do you know how much it would cost for the whole thing (even if your parents are going to pay for all of it, take this into consideration)? How well familiarised are you in English culture? Are you prepared to be tangibly separated for some time from your close family? Think about these questions very carefully before getting the ball rolling on this thing and remember that the amount of money, fame, and prestige you have doesn't always correspond to your happiness and the lessening of pain and suffering in life. I'm not trying to suggest you forget this thing, I'm just worried that you have not figured this out thoroughly enough and that, frankly, your motives for doing this are pretty naive (sorry, but I am going to be forthright with you as I had pretty much the same mental outlook as you when I was your age). Also, mentally prepare yourself for the moment when you hear the news that you don't get a spot whilst also being optimistic--prepare for the worst, yet hope for the best. Finally, don't make this plan concrete. Be flexible as your plans will change with the more life experience you get and the more new information you absorb. Trust me, they will.
Yeah I know what you mean but I completely disagree that my motives are naive. I have a clear idea of what I would like to do after school and want to give myself the best opportunity to succeed at this. The thing is my parents themselves actually want to move to the UK themselves within the next 5 years or so, so I would only be there for two years while my sister (2 years younger than me) graduates from high school. No I am not familiar with English culture and I'm sure american universities are full of students that are not familiar with their culture (which appears to be more outgoing). You have a valid point although at this stage of my life I am confident this could be a good decision and opportunity and after all you are much more likely to succeed if you have something physical that you can work towards.

noworriez1

HSC
N/A
theres a mix of genuine advice (mainly mod) and jealous intentions

i dont understand why ppl wud be jealous, the opportunity is available for every1

if you dont work hard for it, then please going cry somewhere else

i wish i could go but i know i definitely havent worked anywhere near those who are busting their ass

just gotta take each mistake and learn from it

--
keep it as ur goal and work ur ass off to meet it

but i think u will be homesick.. cant u get ur rents to come with u? (but im naive on the topic, how long r u there 4?)

Kittikhun

HSC
Yeah I know what you mean but I completely disagree that my motives are naive. I have a clear idea of what I would like to do after school and want to give myself the best opportunity to succeed at this. The thing is my parents themselves actually want to move to the UK themselves within the next 5 years or so, so I would only be there for two years while my sister (2 years younger than me) graduates from high school. No I am not familiar with English culture and I'm sure american universities are full of students that are not familiar with their culture (which appears to be more outgoing). You have a valid point although at this stage of my life I am confident this could be a good decision and opportunity and after all you are much more likely to succeed if you have something physical that you can work towards.
OK, that's cool. I just want to make it clear to you that I am not recommending you to drop this whole thing. I want you to mature a little first before making this plan concrete. You're only in year 9, mate. You are still probably looking at life through rose-coloured glasses, thinking that hard work, perseverance, and being good and honest will reward you in life. This is why I think you are being naive. When I was around your age, I used to think like that, but, mate, let me tell you this, life is cruel and hard work sometimes doesn't always pay off. Good doesn't always triumph as we are led to believe when we are little. There are people out there who are not of good moral character who will bitch and back stab you at any opportunity while putting on a disingenuous nice and gentle demeanour in your presence. Good and honest people are very hard to find. University life is not a utopia. You will study your ass off and have little free time, especially if you do not live on/near campus/college. You would probably at least for once whilst you're studying contemplate about why the hell you are doing this and you would probably also consider the option of dropping it all when the stress and pressure hit you. Everyone has a breaking point. Also, why on earth would your parents want to move to the UK? The standard of living there is lower, everything there is much more expensive, the place piss pours with rain more than here, there's this class system that makes its society less egalitarian than Australia's, the unemployment rate is high, the poverty rate is pretty high for a western nation, the government is enforcing economic cuts nearly everywhere in order just for the nation to survive, and there is higher racial tension there than over here. Mate, Australia has one of the highest standards of living in the world. Hell, there are more Brits coming over to live here than Aussies going over to live there. Why on earth would you want to leave Australia and pay for all that transport of your belongings to the UK (which is expensive) and also to buy a house there when nearly everyone in the world wants to live here? There are even Yanks and Canucks who want to live, mate. Also, are you going to live near or in Cambridge? Because if you don't it sure as hell is going to be expensive and it will be pretty tough finding a job, mate, over there with such a high employment rate. Finally, wouldn't the London School of Economics be a better and more prudent choice than Cambridge for investment banking? Once again, I'm not attacking you, mate, if you're thinking that by the tone of this post (I'm not very tactful). I just want you to think really hard about this, that's all. It's OK to be ambitious, hey, this might all work out for you, but it would be good and wise on your part to really know what you are getting yourself into and to mentally prepare yourself for any unwanted contingencies before committing yourself to something that will probably define the rest of your life. It is a very important life decision. Remember, nothing ever goes according to plan. You need to be flexible. I wish you all the best though. Oh, and just out of curiosity, what is success to you? Sorry for the long post.

dionb2014

HSC
Don't say this rosy glasses shit to me mate. You sound bitter and that is just my observation. I have a choice between new York and London for investment banking because Australia is an economic dead end especially with this fucking government. Really who are you to judge my parents decision to move to the uk and why do you say all this. I live my life and do what I want to do, you haven't attempted to answer my question and just listed a bunch of reasons why it is a bad idea. I will say again that money is not a problem and that I WANT to live in England. As politely as possible I'm asking you why you would even make that lengthy post that you did?

Mr L

HSC
N/A
Before deciding to live in the UK I believe that you should take a short holiday there to gain a further understanding of its actual atmosphere and the mannerisms of its population. When I went to England with my family I found that it was far different to my preconceived image, though not in a negative fashion. England is a great place and if it is your wish to study there I encourage you to do so (though I advise you to embark on a holiday before moving there)

The only major cultural difference that stood out was the rather reserved nature of the English population, asides from that they are quite similar to us Australians.

Good luck in your endeavours!

X

xeuyrawp

Honestly, what're you going on about? Stop being so patronising.

Mr L said:
Before deciding to live in the UK I believe that you should take a short holiday there to gain a further understanding of its actual atmosphere and the mannerisms of its population. When I went to England with my family I found that it was far different to my preconceived image, though not in a negative fashion. England is a great place and if it is your wish to study there I encourage you to do so (though I advise you to embark on a holiday before moving there)

The only major cultural difference that stood out was the rather reserved nature of the English population, asides from that they are quite similar to us Australians.
You start by saying that he should go on holiday there to see the differences, but that English people are quite similar?

What is everyone going on about in this thread...? :S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)