Getting into Commerce at UNSW! (1 Viewer)

HSC
I am currently in Year 12 and I am doing my HSC this year. I am planning to do Bachelor of Commerce at UNSW and I may combine it with Bachelor of Economics. I need an ATAR of 95.65 to get in this course. I don't think I will be able to get that so I want to know what alternatives I have. I am determined to go to UNSW and I really want to minimize the time that I may have to spend doing something that is not relevant to the course I want do. I have to give my preferences for the courses I want to do at university now, so could you please suggest something for me?

I heard there are other courses I can do at UNSW and than change to Commerce, Which courses are these? How does it work? And after how many semesters can I change to Commerce?

Also, if I get into commerce at some other university and want to change to UNSW, How can I do it? And after how many semesters can I change to Commerce at UNSW?

In which of these options do I have a higher chance of getting into Commerce at UNSW?

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
Doing well in related subjects such as math and eco gives you up to five bonus uai/atar.

runnable

HSC
Eco is not one of the HSC Plus subjects for Commerce I think.. Only English and Maths qualify.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
I heard there are other courses I can do at UNSW and than change to Commerce, Which courses are these? How does it work? And after how many semesters can I change to Commerce?

Also, if I get into commerce at some other university and want to change to UNSW, How can I do it? And after how many semesters can I change to Commerce at UNSW?

In which of these options do I have a higher chance of getting into Commerce at UNSW?
Try going for economics first as it has a lower ATAR than commerce.

If you want to transfer from another degree, you'll be able to do it at the end of 1st year.

You'll have a higher chance of getting in to commerce depending on your 1st year marks/ATAR or combination thereof.

HSC
Hi guys

Please could you read the following and suggest which one is better:

Scenario 1:
I get into Economics(B Arts) at UNSW in the first year and have a Distinction Average for the first 2 semesters and then I apply to change to B Commerce at UNSW.

Scenario 2:
I get into B Commerce at Macquarie University in the first year and have a Distinction Average for the first 2 semesters and then I apply through the UAC to change to B Commerce at UNSW.

* In which one of these will I have a higher chance of getting into B Commerce at UNSW?
* In which one of these will I have more transfer credits so that my B Commerce course becomes shorter?

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Hi guys

Scenario 1:
I get into Economics(B Arts) at UNSW in the first year and have a Distinction Average for the first 2 semesters and then I apply to change to B Commerce at UNSW.

Scenario 2:
I get into B Commerce at Macquarie University in the first year and have a Distinction Average for the first 2 semesters and then I apply through the UAC to change to B Commerce at UNSW.

* In which one of these will I have a higher chance of getting into B Commerce at UNSW?
* In which one of these will I have more transfer credits so that my B Commerce course becomes shorter?
I'd try for arts at UNSW as it is within the same university. No reason in particular though.

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
Hi guys

Scenario 1:

Scenario 2:

Go for B Eco at UNSW. That way if you successfully get your transfer, then all of your units of study in 1st year should technically be transferred as well. It also means that you won't have to stay behind for an extra semester/year to complete your tertiary education. Just a thought :)

HSC
If your ATAR is high enough then go for Eco@UNSW, if not Arts@UNSW

LordPc

HSC
shouldnt you put down the highest ATAR course 1st?

so B Comm @ unsw is 95, so just put it down as your 1st preference, then B Eco, then B arts(eco)

if you get lucky, you might just get into B Comm or B Eco. If not, you will get offered B arts(eco) (or whatever course your ATAR gets you into further down the list). there is no point in reversing the order, ie, having B arts or B eco above B Comm if you really want to do B Comm, cause you will always be offered B arts ahead of B Comm.

zazzy1234

Banned
HSC
I am currently in Year 12 and I am doing my HSC this year. I am planning to do Bachelor of Commerce at UNSW and I may combine it with Bachelor of Economics. I need an ATAR of 95.65 to get in this course. I don't think I will be able to get that so I want to know what alternatives I have. I am determined to go to UNSW and I really want to minimize the time that I may have to spend doing something that is not relevant to the course I want do. I have to give my preferences for the courses I want to do at university now, so could you please suggest something for me?

don't worry when u said about really wanting to go to UNSW and feel the same except with UWS.

HSC
do not go to unsw if u want finance (serious)

in saying that, now that im completing my degree... if u do decide to pick finance and meet our awesome lineup of lecturers like henry yip, know that a good maths background will help you greatly

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
Hi guys

Scenario 1:

Scenario 2:

Scenario 1, that was my plan if i didnt get into commerce and the first year core subjects are exactly the same.
EDIT: i misread. eco through b arts? what. why not do b eco isnt it like 91ish.

Last edited:

cs01001

HSC
Scenario 1, that was my plan if i didnt get into commerce and the first year core subjects are exactly the same.
EDIT: i misread. eco through b arts? what. why not do b eco isnt it like 91ish.
I think it is possible to do all first year Commerce cores through Arts degree, and then get a transfer over and not waste any credit points.

Plus good thing is, with the new internal transfer system, UNSW does not look at your UAI, only your first year WAM. But getting a transfer over is not exactly easy, as they now want a 75 WAM ie Distinction average.

Its best to do your best and hope HSC Plus bonus do the rest lol

Freaking out for Macro final tomorrow :bomb:

HSC
Plus good thing is, with the new internal transfer system, UNSW does not look at your UAI, only your first year WAM. But getting a transfer over is not exactly easy, as they now want a 75 WAM ie Distinction average.
The new system has really crapped things up for me, not only are my marks shit enough to rule out any transfers into the programs i wanted but the 70 WAM i have seems to be not enough to "meet the minimum requirements" for any courses over 70 UAI/ATAR. The best a 70 WAM seems to get me are from ADFA

:mad1:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
yeah its fuckin stupid they expect a 75WAM from engineering if you want tot ransfer into commerce.

so stupid

alexvincent

HSC
Hi guys

Scenario 1:

Scenario 2:

Don't go MQ. If you didn't get 95 ATAR/UAI, you're most likely NOT going to get a D average at MQ.

Monsterman

HSC
do not go to unsw if u want finance (serious)

in saying that, now that im completing my degree... if u do decide to pick finance and meet our awesome lineup of lecturers like henry yip, know that a good maths background will help you greatly
What's wrong with finance?:confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)