Getting into history ext! (1 Viewer)

M'broughRockz

HSC
has anyone ever got into the history extension course and just got under 80% in ancient history. Coz at my skool they require to get over 80% in ancient to enter extension history. Has their been any exceptions??

piecheck

HSC
N/A
where im at you need 70% plus and if you didn't get that but you still realy want in on ext. you have to talk with the principal n tell him why you want them to let u in the class - aka beg! - i think that may involve a letter aswell. Anywho ive heard that if your close to 70% they'll let you in.

M'broughRockz

HSC
i was just wondering if their were any cases like dis. But i know if i really wanted to get in i could, I always get good marks across my subjects. Only reason i got under 80 was because i wasn't bothered studying for ancient history prelim's.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
M'broughRockz said:
has anyone ever got into the history extension course and just got under 80% in ancient history. Coz at my skool they require to get over 80% in ancient to enter extension history. Has their been any exceptions??

i didnt get 80% in modern history (one of my assignments, i did pretty bad in =(, and scaled my mark down heaps) , but i got accepted into the course. However the onli reason y i got accepted was because of the massive improvements i have shown throughout the process of the year, and how my teachers sed ill be fine, as long as i put in the extra effort, , jus talk to ur KLA wid it, im sure u kan work something out. btw wat skool do u go to ?

Last edited:

Plebeian

There are no official mandated requirements from the Board of Studies, so precedents from other schools won't help too much. But by all means argue to be let in, you have a right to do it - but you'd best be willing to stick with it all the way through.

Master Gopher

HSC
I'm doing ancient accellerated, so they don't know my mark yet :D, but at our school they don't really care, they just tell you if they don't think you can do ext, and if you do anyway, well, your loss. So I just started ext and am so incredibly excited... want to do something on Hannibal or Shakespeare, I think.

niteshade1312

HSC
My Head of Department will tell you if she thinks you arn't capable of doing the subject... But there doesn't seem to be anyone in Ext who can't handle, if they couldn't they already dropped it

sweetnsourpork

HSC
That's how it seems to work with my school. There is no set requirement to make it in but I think if you haven't performed well in Yr 11 you are advised not to. I don't think any school can stop you really regardless of marks.

piecheck

HSC
N/A
Master_Gopher said:
I'm doing ancient accellerated, so they don't know my mark yet :D, but at our school they don't really care, they just tell you if they don't think you can do ext, and if you do anyway, well, your loss. So I just started ext and am so incredibly excited... want to do something on Hannibal or Shakespeare, I think.

Is hannibal lecter (however thats spelt) real?? everyone ive talked to said he's not

lilkiwifruit

HSC
N/A
someone in my class got 57% and is doing History Ext...my teacher believes that those who don't do well...will automatically drop out themselves...which she says, happens almost every year :)

nwatts

HSC
piecheck said:
Is hannibal lecter (however thats spelt) real?? everyone ive talked to said he's not
Hannibal was a real person. Hannibal Lector was a fictional character created by Thomas Harris (I think?).

sweetnsourpork

HSC

piecheck said:
Dude, I'm pretty sure he's talking about Hannibal Barca. As in the Carthaginian General who crossed the alps with the elephants and invaded Rome.

He'd be interesting, but you'd have to deal with Livy. He annoys me so much.

piecheck

HSC
N/A
sweetnsourpork said:
Dude, I'm pretty sure he's talking about Hannibal Barca. As in the Carthaginian General who crossed the alps with the elephants and invaded Rome.

He'd be interesting, but you'd have to deal with Livy. He annoys me so much.

ohhh hahaha lol!! --> oopsie, my bad, i haven't heard of him, sounds interesting though

livebait

Smirnoff Crew Member
HSC
at my school (gosford high) there's always a huge demand for hist ext, we've got 49 people doing modern and about the same doing ancient, and almost everybody wants to do it.... my teacher, along with the rest of the history/ social science department, actively discourages different people from doing it, but there isn't any set requirement/ mark to get in. (well, none that I know of anyway)

I'm sooooo psyched about hist ext next year.....but i'll have 13 units.... *gulp*

k8kate

Class of 06
HSC
At my school theres no precedents probably cos only like 3 people take it through to HSC every year. This year theres 4.
Ive been averaging around 80 all year in ancient, though that said its very different to ancient or modern. My teacher keeps saying its a uni course that would take 3 years to cover properly. hahaha. So yeah, 07ers be prepared its alot of work but I love it.​

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
yeah there's no requirements for it at my school....but there's only 3 people doing it from an original 4 anyway.....

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
At my school theirs about 50 people doing modern and 27 doing ancient. To get into extension history you have to be in the head teachers good books and on his so called 'list' of desirables.

ane_st

HSC
last year he expected around 75% from those who want to do ext... i think mine was around that.. but it modern this yr my marks for modern are around 60/70% and my ext marks are around 80/90%....

my teacher said that next yr the cut off is 75-80%

katyn

HSC
There's no set requirement at our school to get in but it's definitely advised that you should at least be proficient in the subject.

I find that those who aren't that good at extension history tend to drop out after a while on their own accord.

enzyme

HSC
livebait said:
at my school (gosford high) there's always a huge demand for hist ext, we've got 49 people doing modern and about the same doing ancient, and almost everybody wants to do it.... my teacher, along with the rest of the history/ social science department, actively discourages different people from doing it, but there isn't any set requirement/ mark to get in. (well, none that I know of anyway)

I'm sooooo psyched about hist ext next year.....but i'll have 13 units.... *gulp*
bec! i know 'tis you... emma here. gosh i love our history extension class... mr wright is so good.
the only requirement, which wasnt reeeally enforced so it was more a guide, was to be in the top 5 for either ancient or modern... which i guess is pretty intense considering we go to gosford anyway. but like i said, it wasnt enforced.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)