getting nervous... (1 Viewer)

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
I recently borrowed 4 books and last week i returned all four to the library. Today i checked my borrower and found that one book still hadn't been processed, as if i still had it :(

I rang the library and she said she would check to see if they had it. I'm not too optomisitic about this though and i have a feeling they lost it (and i have no way of proving that i returned it). I really hope i don't need to pay for this bloody book!

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, what did you do about it? Did you have to pay?

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Cyan_phoeniX said:
I recently borrowed 4 books and last week i returned all four to the library. Today i checked my borrower and found that one book still hadn't been processed, as if i still had it :(

I rang the library and she said she would check to see if they had it. I'm not too optomisitic about this though and i have a feeling they lost it (and i have no way of proving that i returned it). I really hope i don't need to pay for this bloody book!

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, what did you do about it? Did you have to pay?
Most likely it didn't get checked in. You shouldn't expect as high a service since they made the big mistake of not rehiring the hardworking student casual staff. *cough* ahem...

From a student who's been on the other side of the counter, if someone told me that story and the book hasn't been found even after a search, I'd be skeptical. 9 times out of 10 the patron has forgot to return it or they've lost it.

Books just don't vanish without a trace, so if you did actually return it like you say, they'll track it down. And since you've told them about it, there should be no block on your card. :)

Last edited:

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
GoodToGo said:
Most likely it didn't get checked in. You shouldn't expect as high a service since they made the big mistake of not rehiring the hardworking student casual staff. *cough* ahem...

From a student who's been on the other side of the counter, if someone told me that story and the book hasn't been found even after a search, I'd be skeptical. 9 times out of 10 the patron has forgot to return it or they've lost it.

Books just don't vanish without a trace, so if you did actually return it like you say, they'll track it down. And since you've told them about it, there should be no block on your card. :)
I'm thinking they may not have scanned it off and put it back on shelf. but if that's the case, its unlikely it would have been the only one :/ (i returned all four at the same time, and i remembeer having them in a group as it went down the groovy chute) I'll wait and see. They may find it, i only told them about it a few hours ago.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Hmm. I went to the library today to see if the book that i supposedly still had was on the shelfs. After about half an hour i could see it wasn't. As i was walking i noticed the red shelves (you know, the shelves that people place books that they have taken out of their proper position) and would you believe, the book was there!

I picked it up and took it down to the office to tell them about this. As they could have seen, the book wasn't overdue yet, so i had nothing to gain in telling them, but i thought i would just in case other books were also misproccessed (or at least to point out that there was an error that need to be fixed in future - i easily could have been blamed for their mistake and have to pay a fine that i should not have). I'm not too happy about their response though, because their really wasn't any, they just scanned it and thats it. I'm not sure what they could have done, but perhaps some acknowledgment, like writing the situation down in order to address what may have gone wrong. Accidents happen, but it should be addressed to minimise similar situations happening in future.

End Rant.

K.

HSC
The library staff are useless, everytime I borrow just one book they go "There are self servicing machines over there *points*. How rude. Everytime I go to the helpdesk for something, they never come over, even if they have nothing to do. Though theres this fat guy with glasses who is/was ultra cool.

X

xeuyrawp

ARGH!

Fucking librarians, library, and so-called 'admin staff'. They all need to get that goddamned pole out of their ass and do some work.

a) Reserve photocopiers have been removed and not moved to anywhere (longer photocopy queues, have to borrow reserve books [wtf is with that?!] if you want to photocopy them upstairs, etc),
b) reference desk has been moved away from level 3 where it actually served a point (access to closed collections, more book shelves, etc),
c) the service desk on level 1 has been removed,
d) the scanner in the photocopying room never works,
e) all the librarians are fat, lazy, ugly wankers, who deserve to be made redudant simply because everything is 'too hard'. eg, the nasty international students who work in the main photocopying room, who sigh and plod around when you line up at their desk, and then complain when you ask then to get you the right sized comb binding. eg, the borrower counter person who, after giving me my book that was on hold, told me to go self-check it in!

Last edited by a moderator:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
PwarYuex said:
ARGH!

Fucking librarians, library, and so-called 'admin staff'. They all need to get that goddamned pole out of their ass and do some work.

a) Reserve photocopiers have been removed and not moved to anywhere (longer photocopy queues, have to borrow reserve books [wtf is with that?!] if you want to photocopy them upstairs, etc),
b) reference desk has been moved away from level 3 where it actually served a point (access to closed collections, more book shelves, etc),
c) the service desk on level 1 has been removed,
d) the scanner in the photocopying room never works,
e) all the librarians are fat, lazy, ugly wankers, who deserve to be made redudant simply because everything is 'too hard'. eg, the nasty international students who work in the main photocopying room, who sigh and plod around when you line up at their desk, and then complain when you ask then to get you the right sized comb binding. eg, the borrower counter person who, after giving me my book that was on hold, told me to go self-check it in!
wtf? all that stuff has been moved? why?! especially reserve photocopiers, they were always packed with people.

i hate self checking out, i used to refuse but then they would take too long to come over so sometimes i gave in, but now they just point you away.

i think once i had a book that wouldn't work in the self check out machines so i didn't self check out any of my books - if they had to do one they could do the others, right? nope, i had to do the others in front of them at that machine that sits on their desk and give them only the one that wouldn't work.

also: OPEN RESERVE BEFORE 9AM - I DON'T CARE IF THE DUE TIME FOR BOOKS IS 9AM, 9/10 TIMES MY BOOK WILL NOT HAVE BEEN BORROWED AND WILL BE THERE BEFORE 9AM SO I WILL BE ABLE TO USE IT. this is going to piss me off no end this year since all my classes start at 9 and i will be at uni before 9 every morning. and i'll finish at 5 and the latest i can stay back is until 6 and firstly, i don't want to stay back when i will be wasting time sitting around in the morning, secondly i can sure do a whole lot of work in 1 hour

Last edited:

marchetta

shut up and do me
HSC
Cyan_phoeniX said:

Yes, this has happened to me before. I borrowed two books from the library last semester, yet according to my library borrower i had only returned one. I then emailed the library about it and they said they would search for the book in the library. I then recieved this email from them a week later:

In regard to your loan query, the book : Man Made Language has now been cleared from your record. The book was found on the main shelf in the library without return stamp date.Please accept our apology for the error made.

K.

HSC
What you mean they took all the photocopiers from that room? and you have to borrow something just to run upstairs to photocopy, ONE PAGE? Thats ridonkulous.

I like reserve, its really surprising, I always find a free desk there to study.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
withaface said:
What for? Thats ridonkulous.
They want people to borrow them (thus for only 3 hours) rather than sit in there all day with the book (the latter I do all the time :)).

X

xeuyrawp

K. said:
What you mean they took all the photocopiers from that room? and you have to borrow something just to run upstairs to photocopy, ONE PAGE? Thats ridonkulous.
Yes. Let me forcast:

1. You're going to be in a long queue at the borrowing machines -- many other people will be borrowing to use reserve books,
2. People will keep the books for the 3 hours, anyway,
3. There will be a huge back-up of the books that have been returned to the desk,
4. Can't place hold on reserve books that have been borrowed.
== Going to have to wait at least half a day for a book in reserve. :)

Kegs

HSC
I forecast a large input of student feet in to staff heads and arses. And pain... lots of pain. Shame on all those who needed these things and didnt fill in the library survey last year.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Cyan_phoeniX said:
I picked it up and took it down to the office to tell them about this. As they could have seen, the book wasn't overdue yet, so i had nothing to gain in telling them, but i thought i would just in case other books were also misproccessed (or at least to point out that there was an error that need to be fixed in future - i easily could have been blamed for their mistake and have to pay a fine that i should not have). I'm not too happy about their response though, because their really wasn't any, they just scanned it and thats it. I'm not sure what they could have done, but perhaps some acknowledgment, like writing the situation down in order to address what may have gone wrong. Accidents happen, but it should be addressed to minimise similar situations happening in future.

End Rant.
Yeah I guess they could have acknowledged that shouldn't have happened, but they couldn't really do much more than that.

There is an IT help desk on level 1, and it's now even closer to the entrance. The reserve photocopiers should be back in time for semester. They're probably removed for maintenance or new models.

A lot of this thread seems to be about posters being whiny little bitches, saying "ooh i want the photocopiers/help desk over here but they're over there", "ooh reserve doesn't cater for me, cos i need a reserve book a few minutes before 9am...and even though no one else does the library should cater to me", "ooh the people in the photcopy room didn't smile at me".

iambored said:
i think once i had a book that wouldn't work in the self check out machines so i didn't self check out any of my books - if they had to do one they could do the others, right? nope, i had to do the others in front of them at that machine that sits on their desk and give them only the one that wouldn't work.
Ok, that one's a fair call for annoyance. They're just obsessed with getting people to self-check these days.

If you have a suggestion to improve the library, fill out a form with constructive feedback. The library even offered a free coffee voucher last year to get your thoughts...

Edit: Fixed quote

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
SITH has moved to the old ERIC room.

I think most of the 'concerns' revolve around the photocopiers from Reserve being moved. The logic follows that these are the key texts, a faster rotation of these key texts would be better served if someone could photocopy what was needed and return them in the one area, thereby negating the need to try and 'find' these texts.

By taking those photocopiers away from the one area that really needs them seems silly. Correct me if I'm wrong. And no, they're not putting them back in, supposedly they're being moved to accomodate the electricity needs of the library. Cos surely getting rid of the entire bottom floor of computers wouldn't have taken away from it. So yeah seems kinda odd.

As for the 9am thing, it seems rather silly to not have reserve open when the rest of the library will have been opened for an hour. Especially since the core and essential texts are usually in Reserve.

I hadn't heard of the getting rid of the desks in reserve thing, but if they are, it seems rather stupid with the obvious lack of desk space in there already to remove the one place where people would like that 1-2 hour stint just to get the quotes and research done.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
^^ yup, it was me.

g2g, i was waiting for your reply because people generally defend their workplace.
if you can give me a GOOD excuse for the reserve not being open before 9am, i might not complain about it. but the only reason i have been given so far is that overnight loans are due at 9am. keeping it closed doesn't seem logical to me, since most of the books won't be borrowed anyway, why not just open it and have a disclaimer of some sort saying that they cannot guarantee the books being there before 9am?

i haven't understood this from first year, because before the days of ilectures i had to copy tapes, i didn't understand why i couldn't go in before 9am to copy them, instead of staying back after my classes and having to wait around in lines because it was busy at that time.

it's not like they need extra staff, they always seem to have someone at that desk so from what i have seen they just open the gate so students can go and sit in there? :confused:

i answer library surveys every year and i give the same comment ever year. i think as an over-enthusiastic first year i even filled out one of those library forms once :p

ok well that's my rant. but the photocopiers being moved out of reserve is an even bigger pain in the arse. i agree with everything that has been said about needing the books back asap, time being wasted by going upstairs to photocopy, waiting in lines, people getting distracted and keeping the books in their bag for 3 hrs when they only needed to copy a few pages.

ALSO, you can only borrow 2 books at a time, i generally use more than 2 books from reserve, so it will mean a lot of lining up (at reserve and the copy machines), climbing stairs repeatedly and so on. This wouldn't be solved by allowing people to borrow more than 2 books because then 1 person could run off with all the resources for one subject.

all i can say is thank goodness for ereserve, electronic journals and ilectures. i always rave about them and will continue to :)

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Well I don't have any particular reason to defend library management, considering all the casuals weren't rehired a year ago.

But the fact of the matter is, the number of students who need Reserve books before 9 would be so few that it probably never occurred to them. Think of it this way: the bulk of the library services start at 9, but they let you do some basic things from 8.

I didn't know that about the photocopiers in Reserve... If they aren't replaced, then it really makes no sense.

X

xeuyrawp

GoodToGo said:
I didn't know that about the photocopiers in Reserve... If they aren't replaced, then it really makes no sense.
[fat, smiling librarian that took mentor training tours] Well the Rodski survey showed us a lot of things that we could improve.:) One of these things was that students don't use the reserve photocopiers, okay? :) Rather than just waddle our overbearing asses over to reserve and look for myself, we decided that some really expensive, pointless, and, in the end, erroneous survery would be the best thing thing to do, okay? :) [/fat, smiling librarian that took mentor training tours]

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
@pwar haha rofl wtf? *in disbelief* that's the conclusion they got from our survey answers? 50% of the time that i am there not only are the photocopiers being used but i have to line up.

g2g, fair enough, when you put it that way (services start at 9, library opens earlier for basics) it makes more sense...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)