Getting your Ps - Driver Ability Road Test (DART) (1 Viewer)

screwed4hsc

Premium Member
HSC
um well it has
Donor:A
Conditions:Y
what does this mean'/.? lol

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
NSW legislation website
Condition code
Licence condition
A
The holder must drive only a motor vehicle fitted with an automatic transmission.
B
If the holder drives a heavy vehicle, the vehicle must be fitted with a synchromesh transmission or automatic transmission.
E
If the holder is the rider of a motor bike or motor trike, the motor bike or motor trike must be of restricted engine capacity as notified in writing by the Authority to the holder on issue or variation of the licence.
I
The holder must drive only a motor vehicle fitted with an approved interlock device within the meaning of Part 2A of the Act.
S
The holder must wear corrective lenses at all times while driving.
V
The holder must drive only a motor vehicle fitted with specified driver aids, or modified as directed in writing by the Authority or printed on the licence.
X
The holder must comply with any condition of which the holder has been notified in writing by the Authority on issue or variation of the licence or that is printed on the licence.
Z
The holder must not drive with a breath or blood alcohol concentration of 0.02 grams or more of alcohol in 210 litres of breath or 100 mls of blood.

EDIT: funny, I never had the E restriction on my licence

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
BUS LANES

learn the difference between a bus lane and a bus only lane. If you're asked to turn left and the leftmost lane is a bus lane, you are expected to move into it and turn from there. Don't move in earlier than 100m, do a headcheck beecause the last thing you want to do is get cleaned up by a bus. If you're asked to turn left and the leftmost lane is a bus only lane, you are not allowed to enter it at any time. You must make your turn from the leftmost lane designated for all traffic (ie not painted red) - check for buses before proceeding.

The two types of lanes will be distinguished in two ways - a bus lane will have "BUS LANE" painted onto the road surface, a bus only lane will have "BUS ONLY" painted. Broken lines near most intersections for the bus lanes, completely unbroken for bus only lanes. Also the signs up by the side of the road.

DO NOT expect that if a motorcyclist/taxi is in it it is a bus lane, the testers know the route and it is an easy fail.

bregitta

Red is for Rad
HSC
Yay got my P's today :D
The guy told me that I wasn't doing headchecks and mirror checks enough, so make sure you do them more often than you normally would!

0bs3n3

HSC
Yay got my P's today :D
The guy told me that I wasn't doing headchecks and mirror checks enough, so make sure you do them more often than you normally would!
Just do them whenever you are turning left or merging. Mirror checks whenever you check your speedo obviously, like Riet said.

johnyG

HSC
Is it true that if you don't have professional instruction and use your own car for the test, you are more likely to fail??

I haven't had any lessons and dont plan to either.

0bs3n3

HSC
Is it true that if you don't have professional instruction and use your own car for the test, you are more likely to fail??

Dude, no, you don't need lessons. Only people with retarded parents that don't teach them the friction point on the clutch or women need lessons, and they generally still fail like 3 times anyway. But seriously, if you need a professional driving lesson to learn to look over your shoulder and mirror before you are turning left, you probably deserve to fail. I was only ever taught to look in the mirror when turning left, but just did head checks for the test. It isn't hard, just use your initiative.

johnyG

HSC
yeah im just gonna do it without lessons. too expensive and I already feel competent enough. only thing is im worried ill stuff up the reverse park.

can anyone give an outline of the test?? does it really take 45 mins or less?? my mate said his was only 20! and do they check that you know every single control in the car? do you have to adjust mirrors/seat position if they were already adjusted before the testing officer gets in the car??

twistedrebel

HSC
never had driving instructor, passed with flying colours, easy shit.
Test dont last for 45mins, about 30mins or so. You dont have to adjust mirrors, but do anyways, to show you are.

twistedrebel

HSC

lol no, i took a 4wd (those proper ones, 7 seater) and passed the test, with NO lessons.

onur91

HSC
N/A
yeah im just gonna do it without lessons. too expensive and I already feel competent enough. only thing is im worried ill stuff up the reverse park.

can anyone give an outline of the test?? does it really take 45 mins or less?? my mate said his was only 20! and do they check that you know every single control in the car? do you have to adjust mirrors/seat position if they were already adjusted before the testing officer gets in the car??
There's nothing to be worried about. I did mine without any lessons, if you feel confident in your driving you'll pass. My test was only 20 minutes as well, plus i didn't even have to do reverse parking. All I did was show the tester my indicator and brake light were working. Then on the road its just the basics, stop sign, giving way, overtaking, etc. The only marks I lost was because my seat was too far back according to the examiner.

Last edited:

0bs3n3

HSC

I did literally 3 reverse parallel parks the day before the test, and I did it fine during the test. Imo it's easier than normal parking. I'm no pro at driving either.

Yeah, it does take about 40 mins, but it goes really quickly which is maybe why he said it was only 20. They don't check any controls in the car other than gear changes, handbrake, steering, indication, lights/wipers if applicable, etc. Things like mirrors they don't generally check I don't think. Obviously best to have it set correctly beforehand, if you can't see out your mirror they would probably work it out very quickly. You should know how to use all the controls by now anyway.

They take you through a series of 'zones' and mark you on stuff like decision making (merging, turning), hazard perception, and speed. They do the manouveres on quiet backroads. It's generally pretty obvious when you're coming to a 'harder' intersection, just make sure you know these before hand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)