Goals??? (3 Viewers)

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
I reckon 4u math is pretty straight forward once you've got it worked out. And yes, complex numbers arn't the hard part of 4u math.

Infact, i would say that 3u math is actually more difficult that 4u math. Especially since all the past papers for 4u math are pretty similar, whereas there is greater diversity in the 3u papers.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
foram said:
I reckon 4u math is pretty straight forward once you've got it worked out. And yes, complex numbers arn't the hard part of 4u math.

Infact, i would say that 3u math is actually more difficult that 4u math. Especially since all the past papers for 4u math are pretty similar, whereas there is greater diversity in the 3u papers.
What?!!!! You reckon 4 Unit Mathematics is easier? Mate, you did not even get to experience it yet, how do you know that? Don't tell me you are accelerated or something.

I have got a kid in my year who got 100 in SC in year 8 and he is accelerated like me. Even that guy is struggling in some questions. That is ridiculous. 4 Unit Mathematics is in another world with 3 Unit Mathematics in terms of difficulty, workload and content. That's why it scales you so highly.

However, it is absolutely true that there is a greater diversity in 3 Unit.

It is not very healthy to accelerate yourself too quickly (doing 4 Unit Mathematics, are you?) without decent teacher and class. If you want to beat that Chinese girl who beat you by one mark, you better make your basis more adamant and then, come back to further accleration. I would highly recommend that.

And if she does 3-6 hours of Mathematics everyday, you will not stand a chance even if you are Einstein. Nothing can get you up there except hard-working and studying.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
For 4u math the questions only have about half a page of working. At most, it's a page. It's really not that much harder than 3u math. I'm only speaking out of experience of having done complex numbers and a bit of graphs, but i really find it to be simple. One page of working isn't a lot when drawing graphs. And the longest trigonometry question i've run into while doing complex numbers was only a little over half a page of working. Maybe i'm just looking at the easier questions, but i'm pretty sure i've seen a good mix of difficulties.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
foram said:
For 4u math the questions only have about half a page of working. At most, it's a page. It's really not that much harder than 3u math. I'm only speaking out of experience of having done complex numbers and a bit of graphs, but i really find it to be simple. One page of working isn't a lot when drawing graphs. And the longest trigonometry question i've run into while doing complex numbers was only a little over half a page of working. Maybe i'm just looking at the easier questions, but i'm pretty sure i've seen a good mix of difficulties.
Well, everyone is different. We have to accept that fact. You might be good at areas where I might be bad at and I might be good at where you might be bad at, right?

But isn't it a bit hasty to start 4 Unit Mathematics while everyone in your class is doing Preliminary contents?

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
I'll be fine. I'm ahead of my class in everything math related anyways. I know all of the 2u course and 3u course anyways, so i thought i may as well get started on 4u.

The Kaiser

HSC
Well obviously I'm attempting to come first in all my subjects but realistically it is almost impossible. (Way too much competition)

English Advanced and Extension 1: I am aiming to come in the top 10 (I came 7th last year) and hopefully be able to improve or maintain it in the yearlies.

Mathematics: Top 5 for 2 unit Prelim and HSC and Top 10 for 3 unit Prelim

Biology: Top 1 (Though I'll probably tie with at least seven other people due to my teachers marking scheme)

Chemistry: Top 1 (though I probably won't *coughAerathcough*)

Physics: Top 20 (Clearly I don't particularly care that much about Physics)

Oh and to finally get a School Prize for DUX or coming 2nd or 3rd (I was off by two places last year :burn: )

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
LOL Eric. You can. I've seen your marks so far this year - they're quite stellar.

The Kaiser

HSC
Aerath said:
LOL Eric. You can. I've seen your marks so far this year - they're quite stellar.
It's a shame that they only count for effort, I always seem to do well in class tasks but not so well in assessment tests. I'll just have to wait and see with my upcoming English speech.

Off Topic: Thomas do you know when our practical for magnesium oxide is due?

bored of sc

HSC
Isn't 'i' an 'imaginary' number - which is the square root of -1 (which doesn't exist in the our real number system). You learn a topic in 4U maths known as the complex number system where 'i' is used alot. Apparently its not too hard at all - my teacher said its the easiest topic in 4U maths. ;)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Our prac is due Thursday. I won't be here from Wednesday to Friday, so mine will be due Monday. :D

But seriously, if you understand 4 Unit Maths, but you still have mistakes in 2U and 3U Maths, that isn't too good, is it?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
bored of sc said:
Isn't 'i' an 'imaginary' number - which is the square root of -1 (which doesn't exist in the our real number system). You learn a topic in 4U maths known as the complex number system where 'i' is used alot. Apparently its not too hard at all - my teacher said its the easiest topic in 4U maths. ;)
You are right and it is regarded as the "easiest topic". However, no one should underestimate the difficulty involved in 4 Unit Mathematics.

eliseliselise

HSC
the goal is.............................

90% + in all subjects [except mx2 and chemistry............ {but i will try}]

but i reckon that the real test will be not only just getting good marks, but maintaing a healthy social/sex life, staying connected with the spirit world, not becoming morbidly obese, staying active and being HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh and my 4u teacher said the other that that you have to show the LEAST amount of working in 4u than in any other level [i hope she was emitting general, coz that would just unnerve me].

sayoonara!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eliseliselise

HSC
lyounamu said:
You are right and it is regarded as the "easiest topic". However, no one should underestimate the difficulty involved in 4 Unit Mathematics.
it depends on who you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i think graphs [said in english accent] is the easiest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and like that ad for some car "the only thing that we have in common--- is that we are all different!"

F-O-B

HSC
I'll be happy with 90+ in all my subjects.

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
While 4U maths is challenging and all, I find it pretty shitty that most people don't even aim to finish the whole paper.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Yea, what do people expect to get in 4u math? 70?!

Thats really bad, i wouldn't want less than 110/120

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
foram said:
Yea, what do people expect to get in 4u math? 70?!

Thats really bad, i wouldn't want less than 110/120
If you get over 110/120, that's basically guaranteed state top 5. (Quite likely top mark).

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
top 5 in phy, chem and math
top 10 in eco, SOR
top 20 in eng ( i really suck at english)

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
English (Std) - 75%, 5th
Physics - 90%, 1st
Mathematics - 90%, 1st
Mathematics Extension 1 - 80%, 1st
Legal Studies - 95%, 1st

(Yeah, I've got a small cohort.)

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
eng ext >85%
eng adv >90%
maths 2U >95%
economics >90%
legal >95% [really want to top this]
SOR 2 CBF
modern >85% [distance ed is a bitch]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)