God has no merit (1 Viewer)

Karlmarx

HSC
N/A
Your logic is unsound for a few reasons. Firstly, if you're within Biblical philosophy and theology, and using the Bible and its events as evidence against God you have to take the whole Bible as evidence (otherwise you're taking it out of context and we all know out of context evidence is not the kind of evidence free thinking intellectuals use)... and if you DO use the Bible as evidence you forget the master plan of Salvation. Letting Satan and sin into the world was all part of the plan. It was how he let us choose...

"But Oh we don't have free will because our entire existence is pre-determined".

If you make the claim of an omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent, omnibenevolent (yet just) God... then he would in essence be capable of predetermining every particle of dust in the universe and its course throughout the millenia, while at the same time giving us free will, while at the same time creating a rock so big he couldn't lift it then lifting it anyways, while baking a burrito so big he couldn't eat it then eating it anyways...

Omnipotence means ALL powerful, not really powerful... it means that nothing is outside your power
But the whole idea of omnipotence is contradictory. Even more contradictory is the idea that God is omnibenevolent, and omnipotent, and still does not end evil.
:pain:

ibbi00

HSC
"October 19, 2005"

A recent source... a reliable source? Demographic information, Mosque attendances and donations... That kind of thing is a source. YouTube videos are not a source
And yet, while less than 2 per cent of the population now attends a Church of England service every week, the number of female converts to Islam is on the rise. At the London Central Mosque in Regent’s Park, women account for roughly two thirds of the “New Muslims” who make their official declarations of faith there – and most of them are under the age of 30.
Conversion statistics are frustratingly patchy, but at the time of the 2001 Census, there were at least 30,000 British Muslim converts in the UK. According to Kevin Brice, of the Centre for Migration Policy Research, Swansea University, this number may now be closer to 50,000 – and the majority are women. “Basic analysis shows that increasing numbers of young, university-educated women in their twenties and thirties are converting to Islam,” confirms Brice.

SOURCE

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
YEah so there are a lot of dumbfuck people around, what's your point?

Lipin

HSC
Yeah, a lot of dumbfucks. If Islam had a proper conversion process where people had to actually learn about their religion properly then there's no possible way they would have that many people. I read somewhere converting to Judaism takes years where you have to learn a new language etc. You can google it because I don't give a shit either way and trying to show that Islam is correct or something because there are a lot of Muslims is retarded. Most Muslims are poor and live in shit countries and the majority are probably illiterate, and they proselytize in prisons etc lol

Last edited:

ibbi00

HSC
“But when I walked in, none of them fitted the stereotype of the oppressed Muslim housewife; they were all doctors, teachers and psychiatrists. I was struck by how content and secure they seemed. It was meeting these women, more than any of the books I read, that convinced me that I wanted to become a Muslim.
After four years, in March 2008, I made the declaration of faith at a friend’s house. - Joanne Bailey Solicitor, 30, Bradford
SOURCE (same article)

If Islam had a proper conversion process where people had to actually learn about their religion properly then there's no possible way they would have that many people.
Disproved.

Karlmarx

HSC
N/A
I take it you read a lot of Dawkins/Hitchens...

Explain to me in your own words and philosophy why particularly the idea of omnipotence is contradictory.
The idea of omnipotence is contradictory for these/this reason;

Omnipotence describes something with all power. Total, infinite power.
Even so powerful, that one could contradict himself/his infinite power.

E.g. Could God, create a stone so big that not even he could lift it?

Pure Omnipotence suggests that yes, he sure could, create it, lift it, and eat it too.

But, we know that, that idea is contradictory in itself. Something cannot contradict its own infinite power.

More, though, is this idea.

If, God is omnipotent, and can contradict himself, he could surely allow evil. But, God is omnibenevolent as well. He must do 'Good', and not 'Evil'. But, what actions are defined as 'Good' by God? 53And thou shalt eat the fruit of thine own body, the flesh of thy sons and of thy daughters, which the LORD thy God hath given thee, in the siege, and in the straitness, wherewith thine enemies shall distress thee: "Everyone who is captured will be thrust through; all who are caught will fall by the sword. Their infants will be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their ... wives will be ravished."

With no clear indication of Good and Evil by God's standards, it is clear that the entire concept of omnibenevolence is scrapped.

Omnipotence, is impossible. It contradicts itself. God, or the concept of God, contradicts itself. Wether or not 'God' should be allowed to or not is irrelevant.

Is God Good?

No.

And omnipotence is logically impossible. Now, some say that 'God is not like us and therefore, we cannot understand him'.

I ask you this.

Why if God made us, and are made in his image, are we not able to understand his nature? And, when, understanding the contradictions in his behavior/nature, am i told that it's a Godly matter and that I'm just human and I'm incapable of understanding.

Frankly it seems like a cover-up to a false claim.

1.) Assume there exists a being that is a conscious creator of the universe.
2.) By definition, there is an act of creation by a conscious being if, and only if that being is outside of the thing that he creates.
3.) The conscious creator of the universe muse therefore be outside of the universe.
4.) If a separate universe that said conscious creator inhabits wasn't created, then the creator isn't omnipotent, since he will remain dependent on another uncreated universe in order to thrive.
5.) If a separate universe that said conscious creator inhabits was created, then...
6.) ...the creator of that separate universe cannot be the aforementioned creator of the universe below it, since it would produce an impossibility of his creating every possible universe, but inhabiting none of them.
7.) ...the creator of that separate universe cannot be omnipotent because he, too, will be constrained under the same restrictions as the universe creator below him.
8.) Therefore, there are no such things as omnipotent gods.

'The theists tend to respond to arguments like this by saying that one of God's remarkable properties is his unique causal nature - that He is effectively self-caused (causa sui). If the fact that this has a latin tag isn't enough to make you bow down to its reasonableness, the next step is to say that it is mysterious, so stop asking tricky questions.'

A few muddled ideas, but you get the idea.

Nothing is omnipotent. :apig:

FlipX

HSC
Islam is the fastest growing religion through converts and birth rates.
I'd trumpet the first reason and keep mum on the latter - more developed cultures tend to stop popping out so many kids... Not hatin', just sayin'.

You can't say which religion is correct but you can say which are incorrect. All of them. Religion is an invention of man to entrench their power, this is the case regardless of whether or not god exists.
Yes, but god conveniently forbade you from questioning any potential fallacies in his logic, so sit down and shut up. :D

Kim Il-Sung

HSC
Fuck religion to the max

wooo yeaah worldwide personality cult worship makes heaps of sense

Scorch

HSC
I take it you read a lot of Dawkins/Hitchens...

Explain to me in your own words and philosophy why particularly the idea of omnipotence is contradictory.
Perhaps even Epicurus?

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"

Quite frankly the idea of omnipotence, omnibenevolence and omniscience is one of the most simple logical problems of the major religions.

Let's start with the premises that God is:
A) Omnipotent
B) Omni-benevolent
C) Omniscient
Now forgetting man-made evil, the planet Earth requires, as part of its natural functioning, that regular disasters of catastrophic proportions occur. Earthquakes, tornadoes, tsunamis, eruptions, etc., in the fact of which humanity is powerless.

God is omnipotent, according to (A), which means that he was capable of creating the world in any form, with any requirements and any natural functions; he was not, if he was omnipotent, obligated in any way to create the world as it is, nor was he obligated to create it such that it required regular catastrophes that bring death and destruction to those in their path simply to function properly.

Thus, God either:

1. ... is simply working with what he has, and was forced to create the world such that it required such destruction, although he knows a better way of doing things; he is B and C but not A.
  2. ... knows a better way and could implement it, but does not care; he is A and C but not B.
  3. ... cares, and wishes to implement a better way, but does not know one; he is A and B, but not C.
The common response to this is predicated around demonstrating that God's use of such natural disasters is the best way of bringing about the best possible good for humanity.

The response to this would be that even if God's creation of the world such that it requires natural disasters to function properly, resulting in the slaughter of billions of human beings (to which he is apparently all-loving) over the course of their history was the best way of bringing about the best possible good and making humans act morally (which is an idiotic idea), any sense of emotions we possess such that it requires us to vicariously experience such great suffering of our fellow human beings in order to simply act in a way that God deems moral is entirely a creation of God's, and thus a limit that he placed on himself that he was not required to (being omnipotent) and knew would require such grand suffering and slaughter in the future (being omniscient).

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
That completely contradicts itself. God loves everyone, the good or the bad.
I dunno, he seems to put gays through a tough time. And those suffering from poverty and starvation.

Kim Il-Sung

HSC
I dunno, he seems to put gays through a tough time. And those suffering from poverty and starvation.
and people who work on sundays

o look my neighbours mowing his lawn on a sunday morning, I really should kill him hey

Scorch

HSC
... and anyone that doesn't tell him how pretty he is, or who is mean to his friends, or who he doesn't like when he wakes up this morning.

He also says that women who are raped in a town should be stoned.

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
Well it is their fault for dressing provocatively.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)