Going to lectures not on your timetable? (1 Viewer)

Chronicole

HSC
Well I have a math lecture in like Wallace theatre which is a hassle because I will be in the PNR building just before that. I realised that there is a lecture in Eastern Avenue auditorium for the same course, at the same time, can I just go to that one? Just because it's closer.

Also, I'm getting mixed opinions regarding lectures. Some people tell me some I don't have to go (which I'd love to do for the math lectures at 8am in the morning) whilst others tell me to attend every single one. Advice anyone?

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes you can go. They won't take a roll. It will be too crowded.

And like, you can miss lectures but I wouldn't recommend doing it a lot.

pokka

d'ohnuts
HSC
if you're going to miss lectures, miss the ones which have notes and recordings on blackboard or else you'll have no idea what's going on and you have to REMEMBER to catch up eventually which some people forget to do...

Chronicole

HSC
Yes you can go. They won't take a roll. It will be too crowded.

And like, you can miss lectures but I wouldn't recommend doing it a lot.
Oh okay. How bout going to completely unrelated lectures? Like just random ones?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
if you're going to miss lectures, miss the ones which have notes and recordings on blackboard or else you'll have no idea what's going on and you have to REMEMBER to catch up eventually which some people forget to do...
Yeah… I forgot A LOT

Oh okay. How bout going to completely unrelated lectures? Like just random ones?
Yeah, do it, #yolo

MetalTheory

HSC
Uni Grad
I think it's encouraged. I remember one of my lecturers urging us to go to as many lectures as possible in the name of academic stimulation.

MaggieMac

HSC
Whether you decide to go to your lectures really depends on whether you will catch up on the work at home. I barely ever went to maths lectures because they were at 8 am (stopped going completely around week 3) but I went to all tutorials and just studied at home. I got distinctions for my maths subjects. So yeah, it really depends on whether you are willing to put extra time into your studies at home. If you can't be bothered to do extra math study at home, then I do suggest you go to as many lectures as possible. I prefer studying at home, studying at my own pace... I barely remember anything from lectures, but yeah, depends on how you learn best.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Whether you decide to go to your lectures really depends on whether you will catch up on the work at home. I barely ever went to maths lectures because they were at 8 am (stopped going completely around week 3) but I went to all tutorials and just studied at home. I got distinctions for my maths subjects. So yeah, it really depends on whether you are willing to put extra time into your studies at home. If you can't be bothered to do extra math study at home, then I do suggest you go to as many lectures as possible. I prefer studying at home, studying at my own pace... I barely remember anything from lectures, but yeah, depends on how you learn best.
Please read the thread.

funstudy

HSC
Some courses may be overcrowded and they may cite 'safety reasons' for encouraging people to just stay in the lectures in the timetable. However, most lectures will have spare seats so you can probably sneak in.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Some courses may be overcrowded and they may cite 'safety reasons' for encouraging people to just stay in the lectures in the timetable. However, most lectures will have spare seats so you can probably sneak in.
There is a maximum amount of people which can be permitted within a certain room and this can be enforced so they're well in their right to state that safety is a significant concern to not allow people to go to other lectures.

That being said, attendance generally drops from Week 3 onwards for most lectures so that doesn't become a concern anymore.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Attendance in lectures for most subjects usually drops off within a few weeks anyway so you'd have no problems getting a seat later on in the semester.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
especially if the lecture is recorded

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)