Good/best car between 40 - 60k (1 Viewer)

benv

HSC
Yo people, Wanted to know what decent brand new family cars you can get in that price range...Medium to large family sedan :p

1. Performance
2. Luxuries
3. Reliable

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
You can get base model German badges in that price bracket (i.e. below the LCT threshold). I personally would go for new C Class despite my natural inclination towards the e90 or A4).

Although on the other hand you could perhaps go for a Japanese luxury car such as the new Liberty (bit ugly IMO). Or even an IS250?

astroe

HSC
Yeah, seremify sums it up well. :p

You can't go wrong with either the C class or 3 Series, or the IS250, however these are at the upper reaches of your budget. That's the way to go if you're focusing on prestige and luxury.
Then again, you can get a bit more kick from lower priced competitors, such as the Subaru Liberty, or even the new Nissan Maxima (I think it won the Large Car of the Year award or something), as well as the Honda Accord Euro/Regular.

The 3 series and IS250 are somewhat outdated and a new model is expected soon. The Liberty and Maxima practically came out this year while the Accord isn't that old either.
Reliability conjures up the word 'Toyota', but you're probably looking at an Aurion. You will lose out on prestige and luxury, but you'll have 200kw and an unbreakable engine. :p I personally wouldn't go for this either. V6 Camry for over $40k? Right.

Another consideration is that the base model BMW/Merc/Lexus won't have all the top notch features. The Maxima/Accord/Liberty/Aurion will all have sat-nav and leather and stuff considering the most expensive models are in the same price bracket as the base German/Lexus models.

astroe

HSC
you might as well consider the IS250 to be a toyota if you want to talk reliability :D
True, true. :p

However, look at this comparison:

Aurion engine:

IS250 engine:

The moral of the story? Lexus has become swallowed with the luxury vehicle 'law' which states that you should never touch the engine and must send it to the dealership whenever the onboard computer tells you to. :p

I can't even see a dipstick! All you can do with your Lexus is put in more engine oil. -_-

So, reliability yes.
Self servicing/Maintainance? Forget it.

Then again if you were going to pay for a $60k car, I doubt you'd be the type of person to get their hands dirty.

philphie

Banned
HSC
lol you wouldn't expect middle aged middle class men who own lexus' to know how to service their own car

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
3 series, especially base models aren't that great, extras are killer and my mates mum had a lot of issues with her one. Electronics and stuff mostly.

debts

HSC
N/A
didn't they fix up idrive ages ago? get an audi if you want a good satnav system

benv

HSC
didn't they fix up idrive ages ago? get an audi if you want a good satnav system
I hear from some people and my cousin tells me that Audi's depriciate in value quickly and they are expensive maintenance so im not sure but imo I Love Audi!!!

philphie

Banned
HSC
some people will think you're a cockhead. it use to be bmw that suffered this but they have migrated

jasonml

jay son em el
HSC
sooo inclined towards an a4,

but if you are after power (i'm guessing youre not) look into the liberty and maybe a 3series.

benv

HSC
sooo inclined towards an a4,

but if you are after power (i'm guessing youre not) look into the liberty and maybe a 3series.
Sorry to ruin your guess but i definately want some good juice! thats why the Aurion was tempting me and still is, but then again I still want a little more class.

Camski

HSC
Sorry to ruin your guess but i definately want some good juice! thats why the Aurion was tempting me and still is, but then again I still want a little more class.
Some Aurion facts -

• Shares the same engine as the Lexus XX350 models :D
  • Has crap steering (very numb, no communication, too light)
  • Assuming you're looking at the Presara, comes loaded with goodies that you'd find in the Lexus IS250 (in fact more, unless you get an option pack with navigation and sunroof for the IS)
  • Has front wheel drive, big negative for me with regards to handling. Apparently it doesn't torque steer though at least....
  • Leather seats are a little firm for my liking, but far from uncomfortable
  • Makes a good noise north of 3K RPM :D
  • Excellent drive train/transmission/engine combination - Only reason why you'd by a Lexus from a performance standpoint is the rear wheel drive.
  • Finally - has a neat optitron speedo display :p
In summary, excellent value car, seen as a "white good" though as it's not very engaging to drive - so not a drivers car but has plenty of straight line puff which is beneficial to anyone behind the wheel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)