Good Headphone brands (1 Viewer)

ipab

HSC
To be honest i've tried beats, audio technica and Sennheisers around the same price range and I ended up choosing beats. But this is mainly because I tend to listen to hip hop music and some rock. Beats shine in these departments and while the beats i've got (beats mixer's) are pretty good even in highs, other beats don't match the clarity of other headphones.
Then theres the style and durability which beats also dominate in, I find that other headphones look like scrap pieces of plastic screwed together. Although headphones are for sound, I would like to be able to walk outside without it looking like I had a piece of junk on my head.

Look at the beats mixr's, they're only $250 US and can compare to the pros and other headphones within that price range.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
bose all the way
They have a pleasant EQ which suits the majority of tastes, and the quality is decent. But yeah it's exxy.

On another note I find that Bose has started to lose some of it's sheen in the quality of products they stick their name on particularly in the automotive space. Bit disappointing but I suppose it was bound to happen for premium audio brands which want to get into automotive but can't put their best stuff in mainstream models.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
To be honest i've tried beats, audio technica and Sennheisers around the same price range and I ended up choosing beats. But this is mainly because I tend to listen to hip hop music and some rock. Beats shine in these departments and while the beats i've got (beats mixer's) are pretty good even in highs, other beats don't match the clarity of other headphones.
Then theres the style and durability which beats also dominate in, I find that other headphones look like scrap pieces of plastic screwed together. Although headphones are for sound, I would like to be able to walk outside without it looking like I had a piece of junk on my head.

Look at the beats mixr's, they're only $250 US and can compare to the pros and other headphones within that price range.
Yeah, I can't do hip-hop. Lol.

Well, a good definition of Beats' sound is that they have a very closed soundspace with ducked highs and boosted lows.

I prefer a wide or open soundspace with a flat frequency response - Sennheisers.

I still maintain that Beats are overly priced and very - very pretentious.

cheezcake

Callipygian Member
HSC
Yeah seriously flat frequency response ftw, I mean when you're buying a set of headphones at a mid-high price range the bass should be good enough quality, putting a greater emphasis on it seriously just makes some music sound muddled imo
(my main gripe with beats)

Also make sure your audio files are actually good quality, I mean I have known people to buy a seat of $300 beats and then listen to 128kbps AAC files

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah seriously flat frequency response ftw, I mean when you're buying a set of headphones at a mid-high price range the bass should be good enough quality, putting a greater emphasis on it seriously just makes some music sound muddled imo
(my main gripe with beats)

Also make sure you're audio files are actually good quality, I mean I have known people to buy a seat of $300 beats and then listen to 128kbps AAC files
Agreed. I don't have the storage space to go lossless but I'm enjoying a mixture of iTunes Plus (thank you iTunes Match!) and 320kbps mp3. I know there ar ebetter but it's more than sufficient.

On another note I found that decoding music files using my Benz's audio system as opposed to the iPod interface resulted in considerably clearer music. I always thought Apple products were meant to have decent audio chips but that blew me away. My H/K system sounds much better now!

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Apple are pretty decent, but my mate's iPod Touch vs. my Samsung Galaxy Ace?

No match, Ace on top and it's a phone. Not a dedicated media player.

But then, the digital audio outputs in the MacBook's are awesome.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Just depends what EQ you like. The Beats signature sound is what I like so meh. But then I did come from a (not very classy) Rockford background.

Audio equipment is just like cars. There's as much variety and choice in products (and prices) as there are personal preferences.

Examine

same
HSC
Where do you get 320kbps music other than buying the cd? (srs question don't lynch me)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)