good laptop brands (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
Anyway, if you can wait, Sandy Bridge laptops should be coming out in the next few months.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Look at Lenovo, Asus or Toshiba primarily, you generally get more for less with them. Also don't be afraid to shop around locally as well. I picked up my laptop for about $700 less than I could find it straight from Toshiba.

joben

HSC
use the onlinecomputer.com.au website they have great deals and good service. acer, asus, toshiba all decent, been using for yrs. lenovo also good. sony r a ripoff. apple is good too altho a bit expensive.
a netbook is like a small laptop with less power, get a proper laptop u can do more.

curiousgeorge69

HSC
get an apple
they are seriously the best things ever
the macbook (13") is $999 from the US now..

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
netbook would be great if all you wanted to do was word process, use internet, watch some vids. they easily come in your price range and are small and light, but don't expect to be doing any gaming on them.
good brands: asus (eeepc is excellent), and i think there's a dell one but idk how good that is, there's a samsung one, but i'd stick with the eeepc since my sis has one and she gets 6hrs battery minimum, and you can get up to 8 (apparently 10hrs) if you apply all powersaving techniques (brightness down, wifi and bt off, sound off).

laptops would be good for a lil bit of gaming and the rest of the above, but are a bit more pricier and larger and heavier than netbooks.
good brands: asus, toshiba, dell.

if you're not interested in gaming at all, or already have a desktop/console at home, then your best bet would be to go with netbook for its mobility and price.

SmokedDuck

HSC
Alienware or Falcon Northwest? They are the best. But since most of us don't have $5000 to drop on a laptop - and are spending far too much money and need to go get laid if they are - then Asus or Gigabyte are highly regarded brands.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Why would you mention overpriced pieces of crap? Alienware are like the Mac of the PC world.

blackops23

HSC
Look at Lenovo, Asus or Toshiba primarily, you generally get more for less with them. Also don't be afraid to shop around locally as well. I picked up my laptop for about $700 less than I could find it straight from Toshiba.
+1

These 3 are the best brands for Laptops, particularly Toshiba, but the other 2 are very good as well. Never look at Dell, they are a piece of monkey shit, same with Acer IMO.

If your Laptop is just for uni, a $1000 budget is very good, especially if you don't play games. For $999 you can get a Core i5 2.53ghz, 4GB ram, 500gb HD, which is pretty decent for a uni student. Also for shops, never go to good guys, they have pretty crappy products, Harvey Norman and DickSmith are awesome but Harvey Norman is more expensive than Dick Smith, so Dick Smith is IMO the perfect shop for gadgets/computers.

assiduous

HSC
ASUS, Toshiba and Apple. I recently purchased a netbook Toshiba NB300 to bring around to uni. I am getting about 8-9 hours of battery life with Wi-Fi on and light web browsing.
But I'm looking for a more powerful laptop with i7, at least 4GB RAM. 7200RPM HDD of at least 500GB. This would be my main system at home to use. Can anyone recommend anything close? Or should I wait for the Sandy Bridge ones to be released.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)