Good laptops for Uni?? (1 Viewer)

aandablitzer

HSC
I won't be getting the surface with all the issues you guys are saying, also my brother has had one for a year and already has some problems. I'm thinking of either M1air, refurbished mbp, acer zenbook, acer aspire 5, but am unsure as to which one (leaning towards apple). PS i may choose to do business with a major in finance/marketing or i may do project/construction management. So would these laptops be fine for either course?

@aandablitzer where did you get your zenbook from and which model was it because all the zenbooks i see are like $1.7k
I got mine off ebay, can't remember the seller tho sorry

mmmm.

HSC
Apple sucks UNLESS you have the Quintet as seen here. I know I did vouch for the surface, but I got one for an extremely low price from an airport auction so you really can't complain about a huge bargain.

I've read the thread and can't figure out what quintet is, is it for notetaking? cause when i search it up it comes up as a game

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Have a look to see if they have student discounts, you may be able to get 10-15% of the original price.

Otherwise, maybe stalk JB Hi-Fi sales.

quickoats

HSC
get a MacBook air, it's only $100 above your budget but trust me it will help you a lot
If you want one, wait until the new year for the Apple back to school sale. Usually you can get a free pair of beats but this year in the US you could also get free AirPods.

mmmm.

HSC
If you want one, wait until the new year for the Apple back to school sale. Usually you can get a free pair of beats but this year in the US you could also get free AirPods.
Do you remember what time/dates they had the deal on for (do they do the back to school sale every year?), because uni starts towards end of feb

mmmm.

HSC
Ty, and do U think the M1 air would be an eligible product since it's new?

Also it says that for students to be eligible:
"A full time or part time student aged 18 or over with a current student union card or student
identification card and studying at an accredited Australian university or other Apple
approved institution" but I don't have a student card and don't know when I'll get it

quickoats

HSC

"A full time or part time student aged 18 or over with a current student union card or student
identification card and studying at an accredited Australian university or other Apple
approved institution" but I don't have a student card and don't know when I'll get it
Once you enrol you’ll get a student email and that should be enough pretty sure

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad

Which University mate?

mmmm.

HSC
Hi guys, it's been some time and now I'm down to these laptops. Which would you guys say is better/prefer?

laterz laterz

HSC
Hi guys, it's been some time and now I'm down to these laptops. Which would you guys say is better/prefer?

one of the Lenovo ones

Time&moretime

HSC
After some experiences, is a gaming laptop suitable for uni study purposes? Would appreciate if someone can highlight the pros and cons of having one. Not after the very expensive one but a budget gaming laptop to be used for study. Would be appreciative to hear your inputs.

HSC
N/A
After some experiences, is a gaming laptop suitable for uni study purposes? Would appreciate if someone can highlight the pros and cons of having one. Not after the very expensive one but a budget gaming laptop to be used for study. Would be appreciative to hear your inputs.
In terms of specs, the gaming laptop would have gaming specs, which are above what one needs for uni generally (except for maybe high-demanding courses). If you're studying a not-so-demanding course (mainly using Office), then the gaming laptop would be more than enough.

Some pros:

- Less need to worry about whether or not a particular software can run
- More power allowing for smooth running of tasks (CPU, RAM)
- Will most likely have a better display (not really a great advantage but still good to have)
- Will most likely have a long lasting battery

Some cons:

- May be more expensive than a non-gaming laptop
- If your course is mainly about writing essays/reports and making presentations, then the gaming specs would be too high and not really useful (as a lot of non-gaming laptops can get you the specs you need for those basic tasks)

Directrix

Forklift Certified
HSC
Msi GS66

Amazing Machine

Need I say more

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)