Good luck tomorrow guys! (including some last tips) (1 Viewer)

danz90

HSC
charlesdinio said:
Hey guys, I have a few questions if anyone can help..

first of all, I always get my answers in terms of decimal, when the answer is usually in a fraction involving a log or pi or something, will I be penalised?

and second, do I have to use a pencil when drawing graphs etc?

Thanks a lot..

good luck 2moro!
From what my teachers have told me, no u won't be penalised.

But usually it's acceptable as an exact value (eg ln5 or something like e^5)
If ur not sure, evaluate it as a decimal as well. ;)

I highly recommend using pencils for the drawings, coz u can erase and correct any errors really easily and quickly. I never do them in pen, coz by the time i liquid paper it out etc.

By the way, DO NOT take liquid paper into the exam (so ur not tempted to liquid paper something out). And never scribble soemthing out, just put one or two lines over the wrong part, so its still visible to the marker. Maybe if ur answer is wrong, and what u crossed out was right, they will still be able to award u some marks.

timmiejay

HSC
charlesdinio said:
Hey guys, I have a few questions if anyone can help..

first of all, I always get my answers in terms of decimal, when the answer is usually in a fraction involving a log or pi or something, will I be penalised?

and second, do I have to use a pencil when drawing graphs etc?

Thanks a lot..

good luck 2moro!
If they ask for exact value then you'll have to give it in terms of a fraction or log or pi or whatever, so you'll get penalisd there. If they dont ask that then your decimal should be fine.

I think they say 'you may use pencil for graphs', but its not a rule.

charlesdinio

HSC
Im so used to using pen, so I dont think i will change.

And yeah, I meant if they didn't specify exact values, so it should be fine then!

Thanks a lot guys,

best of luck!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
timmiejay said:
hahaha NAMU mate, your treated like king here.
Even though your doing hsc in 2009 bahaha,
well I shall try and invest my reading time into Q9 and 10. ^^; ill give that a shottt
and
PS. I've averaged about 107ish/120 for the past papers between 1994-2007. A few I've had over 110, a few in the low 100s. But I would really like to get about 95 for my HSC mark. What do you reckon you need raw?
Depends on the paper. I reckon for 95, you would probably need around 106 may be?

Shan4curry

HSC
Thanks a lot, Namu. Those tips help greatly. ^^

Good luck everyone! Let's do our best!

laurennn91

HSC
hey guys, does anyone know if you are allowed to take 2 calculators in?

the reason is that i have mine which i've used forever, and i'm really used to, but it sometimes has a habit of dying.
so i borrowed my friend's one, which is exactly the same but new and has full battery, so there's no chance it'll die.
but i still feel more comfortable using mine since it's been with me throughout my whole maths journey :) haha.
am i just being an idiot? or can i take 2?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
laurennn91 said:
hey guys, does anyone know if you are allowed to take 2 calculators in?

the reason is that i have mine which i've used forever, and i'm really used to, but it sometimes has a habit of dying.
so i borrowed my friend's one, which is exactly the same but new and has full battery, so there's no chance it'll die.
but i still feel more comfortable using mine since it's been with me throughout my whole maths journey :) haha.
am i just being an idiot? or can i take 2?
Yeah, of course you can take two. As a matter of fact, you can take unlimited number of calculators even though it is not recommended. I took 4 calculators once in my exam and no one cared - even my HSC marker teacher!

miss lozzy

HSC
You can take in a spare calculator?? Fantastic, but i'd vouch for a spare brain...

May Einstein and Pythagoras and all those freakish maths dudes smile upon you!!

dolbinau

HSC
lyounamu said:
Yeah, of course you can take two. As a matter of fact, you can take unlimited number of calculators even though it is not recommended. I took 4 calculators once in my exam and no one cared - even my HSC marker teacher!
Why would it 'not be recommended?' Does it make a difference whether you have 1 or 10 calcs.? lol.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dolbinau said:
Why would it 'not be recommended?' Does it make a difference whether you have 1 or 10 calcs.? lol.
Wouldn't it bother you if you have 10 calculators lying on your small desk?

I mean, I was busy organsing stuff on my desk...

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
dolbinau said:
yeah, so u dont have to worry if it runs outa batteries

HSC
remember that even if you think you cant do a question, just find a way to start it and you might figure it out.
or you might get some marks for working. yay for working marks :) so try everything if you have time, even if you dont get the full answer you're likely to get a few marks if you're on the right track

dolbinau

HSC
lyounamu said:
Wouldn't it bother you if you have 10 calculators lying on your small desk?

I mean, I was busy organsing stuff on my desk...
Oh. I thought there's the floor for that.

emmmy

HSC
if i get anything above 50% i will be happy
:(
god i wished i dropped to general after prelim

tips for what i should look over tonight and tomorrow morning other than formulas?

laurennn91

HSC
ok thanks for that guys, i'll take both of them

and yep i'll be lucky to pull a 60. oh well only 1 unit of it will count! yeww

laurennn91

HSC
oh and do we need a protractor? i know it says you can take one but i've never come across an exam question that needed one.. or am i just missing something?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
emmmy said:
if i get anything above 50% i will be happy
:(
god i wished i dropped to general after prelim

tips for what i should look over tonight and tomorrow morning other than formulas?
I don't know - probably the questions that you got wrong?

I always do past papers and tick questions that I had problem with and go back to them if I have time. I went back to all of them today which was pretty good.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
laurennn91 said:
oh and do we need a protractor? i know it says you can take one but i've never come across an exam question that needed one.. or am i just missing something?
You might. You might find protractor useful when you draw a diagram for bearing question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)