Good place to live at that is close to Usyd (1 Viewer)

rx34

HSC
IH is ridiculously overpriced
It's not just IH, but all the colleges in USyd are bloody expensive. A single room in drews, womens, sanctas and IH cost at least $410 per week. Compared to UNSW, where International House there costs $260+, Shalom $350...

I have no idea why USyd costs so much much to UNSW. Maybe inner city living is more expensive than living in the eastern suburbs.

philphie

Banned
HSC
It's not just IH, but all the colleges in USyd are bloody expensive. A single room in drews, womens, sanctas and IH cost at least $410 per week. Compared to UNSW, where International House there costs $260+, Shalom $350...

I have no idea why USyd costs so much much to UNSW. Maybe inner city living is more expensive than living in the eastern suburbs.
LOLOLOL

no sydney is just like melbourne the eastern suburbs is the most expensive. property values are way more inflated than melbourne. usyd is usyd that's what you expect

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
are you all serious about moving house for uni when you live in hurstville and parramatta?

Wow. And making your whole family move? Seriously? That just blows my mind.

I had friends who lived near hurstville and they were considered close to uni.

Most of the colleges are empty on the weekends because all those people whos homes are like 20mins away go home for the weekend.

No offence, but if you can't hack a 20-30min commute when you're studying for 20-30 hours a week at uni, how on earth are you going to cope in the real world with 1hr + commute and 40-60 hour weeks?

lala2

Banned
HSC
are you all serious about moving house for uni when you live in hurstville and parramatta?

Most of the colleges are empty on the weekends because all those people whos homes are like 20mins away go home for the weekend.

No offence, but if you can't hack a 20-30min commute when you're studying for 20-30 hours a week at uni, how on earth are you going to cope in the real world with 1hr + commute and 40-60 hour weeks?
I put it down to first year paranoia. I live near Chatswood which again is considered a short to middle-length commute (30 minutes by train) but when I first started it was so draining (school was max 10 minutes train ride). After several weeks--got used to it. And at least you can do something on the train/bus/whatever.

Spot on with the point about a lot of college residents having family homes within easily commutable distances. I've heard of people whose families live as near as Cremorne and Kensington live at college.

+1 on the last point. Work is 40 minutes' drive away which means my day is basically extended by an hour both ends.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC

Please stop assuming things that are not stated.
This is not HSC English where your subjective interpretations are encouraged.

How do you know if one is trying to make his/her family move?
What if the family wants to move and it is just better to go to a place close to uni(s) because they are going to move anyway?

rx34

HSC

I disagree with you. Most colleges are not empty during weekends. I used to live in a college in UNSW and only one girl went back to her bondi house on the weekends. It's not a matter of surviving in the real world rather it is a matter of convenience. Saving time travelling can be used for other leisure activities or perhaps more studying. If you have the financial resources to and your parents are willing to pay for you, why not?

And I'm not making my family move. They live interstate and elsewhere in Sydney. I'm just moving out.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
One of my good friends lives at Womens college and on weekends there'd be very few people around. Maybe UNSW is different, and likewise for colleges that have more students from outside of sydney.

And moving out is different, if you're off to stand on your own two feet then sure, live as close as you can get. But spending $400+ a week to live in college or a share house (which would hopefully be a lot cheaper) when you live within 30km or so of uni is, in my opinion, a phenomonal waste of money.

And +1 to lala2 - once you get used to the travel, it just becomes part of the routine, but the first few weeks are hard until you get the timing and connections down pat. Plus the walk to redfern is good exercise, especially coming from Ross st!

rx34

HSC
One of my good friends lives at Womens college and on weekends there'd be very few people around. Maybe UNSW is different, and likewise for colleges that have more students from outside of sydney.

And moving out is different, if you're off to stand on your own two feet then sure, live as close as you can get. But spending $400+ a week to live in college or a share house (which would hopefully be a lot cheaper) when you live within 30km or so of uni is, in my opinion, a phenomonal waste of money.
Arhh ok, I see your point. Last year in 2009, I lived in sharehousing. It was a good experience for me but I was so sick of cooking. Hence college is definitely the best option for me. But yeah if you do live close to USyd, moving out would be expensive. But to each his own. I do have a sister who lives in a 1BR flat in Mosman but there is simply not enough room for another person to live there permanently. I could sleep in the living room but I don't want live in such circumstances.

midnightmint

HSC
N/A
You're mad for paying $350+.. is that a room / share accom; or do you get your own (decent to nice) flat?

I would suggest renting a room or a bedsit (i.e. tiny studio) at Glebe or Erskineville/Newtown (Erskineville is a bit more 'villagey' feeling, I quite liked it there). Those places are cheap but quite enjoyable to live there.. you'd be able to find share accom there as well, if you are looking for that. Depending on what faculty at usyd you'll be going to, it's probably only a 10 min walk to the gates of the uni.

Some studio apartments in newtown only cost $200p/wk to live by yourself.. share accom from about $100 p/wk for a room, I guess..

I wouldnt live in Redfern or Surry Hills (in terms of night time safety, and just general feralness); though lots of people do.

sandersen

si seulement...
HSC
share accom from about $100 p/wk for a room, I guess..
I doubt you will be able to find your own room in a share house close to sydney uni for less than $150pw and potentially more than $200pw. And if you want a really nice place you could pay up to or more than $250pw

Alexandria, annandale? You could have a look at them too

midnightmint

HSC
N/A
Hmm, I did see one room advertised recently for $90.. looked okay in photographs.. but you're right, on Domain.com.au the only places you can get for that price are in boarding houses...

You can get a room or a small flatette / bedsit place for about $150 upwards.

bio_nut

HSC
I disagree with you. Most colleges are not empty during weekends. I used to live in a college in UNSW and only one girl went back to her bondi house on the weekends. It's not a matter of surviving in the real world rather it is a matter of convenience. Saving time travelling can be used for other leisure activities or perhaps more studying. If you have the financial resources to and your parents are willing to pay for you, why not?

And I'm not making my family move. They live interstate and elsewhere in Sydney. I'm just moving out.
No, at Usyd this is true. The Vice Principal of Women's told me how empty and quiet it is on weekends, lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)