Good schools in Western Suburbs (1 Viewer)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Yeah I did happen to get a student into a selective school, their parent let me know as well. (They were a family based in Ryde- it was a local school in their catchment area) . There was also a family I taught but unfortunately the kid was not motivated enough. (He has too many distractions i.e cricket, sport) Both of these kids also had Pre-Uni College training in addition to 1-on-1 tutoring from me.

The other 3 I tutored up until the exam date....all were motivated and pushed themselves because they knew how important it was.
I've seen lots of parents spend so much money to go to 3 different tutoring centres/places to do selective trial test because they are that desperate for their kids to get in.

I think they need to realise that the onus is up to their child not the centre. The child will get in if he/she puts in more effort rather than sending him/her to 3 different tutoring centres for Selective trial test. Lots of primary school kids are lazy and don't want to go to selective and they don't realise that a selective school is their education

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
The kid that got in, said to me his dream school was 'North Sydney Boys', he didn't end up there but he was pretty gifted. I haven't had so much tutoring in selective in the last year or so, mainly because I have put more focus on High School and University level tutoring. (I didn't mention I wanted to tute Selective Schools/O.C tutoring ad in the past year as well).

I enjoy the comprehension readings, my slight weakness is poetry as I didn't read alot of it in high school. Teaching students in NAPLAN, Selective School assessments has in a way improved my reading ability. I sometimes have to read things two times or three times to pick up the meaning. It is a time pressure exam as well. Maths and G.A I can knock off in a blink of an eye though.
If his dream school was north sydney boys, then tell him to stop dreaming and work hard at it because dreams only come true if you work hard at it, not just sit there and dream. If you would like to do tutoring for selective (more often) then I suggest forming a small group weekly tuition thing

Teaching english would not be easy. I think to improve in english, you'll need to be exposed to everything, even the local newspaper and learn year 7-10 english skills

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
How does streaming classes based on ability have any pitfalls at all? I just fail to see any negatives.
Apologies for reviving this again, but I just had a thought
In a way, the current system of school ranks does a similar thing to streaming classes but on a much broader scale
Good students will gravitate towards historically good schools even if there isn't anything exceptional about the school itself (see: James Ruse)
Naturally then, they will also stay away from historically bad schools, its like a perpetuating cycle. Theoretically, the worst students will end up at the worst schools, and the best at the best. The same problems that arise in segregating classes occur on a school level, where a gifted student will be held back by a 'bad' school just as much as a 'bad' class.

So really the pitfalls as a result of segregation are something you have already experienced, just on a macro rather than micro level. It's great for those students at good schools that pull them up, not so much for students who aren't. Similarly its great for students at in the top classes, not so much for those in the bottom.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
If his dream school was north sydney boys, then tell him to stop dreaming and work hard at it because dreams only come true if you work hard at it, not just sit there and dream. If you would like to do tutoring for selective (more often) then I suggest forming a small group weekly tuition thing

Teaching english would not be easy. I think to improve in english, you'll need to be exposed to everything, even the local newspaper and learn year 7-10 english skills
Well he got into a selective school (the kid was happy , mum was happy) but it wasn't North Sydney Boys which what I was trying to say. (You know how sometimes when you set the bar high and you don't quite achieve it? You have a backup ....well thats how I felt with this family) His mum was ecstatic that I managed to get him into a selective school. (This was me arriving in Sydney, without having an idea of what a Selective Test meant, about 1 month before meeting this family) I thought the Selective School and O.C tests were a bit of a hit and giggle over here and to be honest I just bought as much prep material from Gumtree and Dymocks before picking up the student.

bobmyself

HSC

English for the Selective Test is really just basic comprehension, there's really no need for exposure to a wide range of texts. There's very little higher order stuff that requires you to think (I don't remember doing a single poem in my prep for it) and almost everything can be found by just reading the text. The best thing you can do for it is to improve your vocabulary to pick up marks on questions that ask for synonyms to replace words in the text.

Also in terms of how much an english question is even worth, it's nothing compared to GA or maths so I wouldn't focus on it too much.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Well he got into a selective school (the kid was happy , mum was happy) but it wasn't North Sydney Boys which what I was trying to say. (You know how sometimes when you set the bar high and you don't quite achieve it? You have a backup ....well thats how I felt with this family) His mum was ecstatic that I managed to get him into a selective school. (This was me arriving in Sydney, without having an idea of what a Selective Test meant, about 1 month before meeting this family) I thought the Selective School and O.C tests were a bit of a hit and giggle over here and to be honest I just bought as much prep material from Gumtree and Dymocks before picking up the student.
I think his parents need to realise it's manily their sons' own hard work, not so much yours davidgoes4wce as you taught and guided the student and somehow encouraged him to do well

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
English for the Selective Test is really just basic comprehension, there's really no need for exposure to a wide range of texts. There's very little higher order stuff that requires you to think (I don't remember doing a single poem in my prep for it) and almost everything can be found by just reading the text. The best thing you can do for it is to improve your vocabulary to pick up marks on questions that ask for synonyms to replace words in the text.

Also in terms of how much an english question is even worth, it's nothing compared to GA or maths so I wouldn't focus on it too much.
In my opinion, english is not easy at all for selective schools test, mainly because of time constrictions and ability to work under pressure. There is no extra time to read and think (doing those is crucial for english) therefore making it hard

Also, for primary school students who don't bother to learn english properly (as in expose them to a wide variety of things that are "english") it would make it much harder for them to do well in english

bobmyself

HSC
In my opinion, english is not easy at all for selective schools test, mainly because of time constrictions and ability to work under pressure. There is no extra time to read and think (doing those is crucial for english) therefore making it hard

Also, for primary school students who don't bother to learn english properly (as in expose them to a wide variety of things that are "english") it would make it much harder for them to do well in english
If we are arguing on the basis of time constraints and performance under pressure, then other parts of test are far more difficult.

In english you are expected to complete 45 questions in 40 minutes. For most questions, you won't even have to read the entire text as the questions are designed to target specific lines or words. As long as you can find these phrases in the text, the questions are one-dimensional and simple enough holistic understanding of the text is not needed.

For GA, there's 60 questions in 40 minutes and the questions in this section sometimes require actual thinking. You are required to be able to very quickly identify patterns and solve a wide array of problems from different areas. Your timing will be easily thrown off here if you have not seen the types of questions in the section before.

Maths has the greatest discrepancy from what is in the test to what taught at a primary school level. There are questions here involving constructing your own algebraic equations from written problems and what are essentially some basic sequences and series questions. You need to have strong time management here and be smart in your methods to solve problems.

As for writing, this section is actually insanely difficult to pick up marks at the high end and not worth your time in terms of it's contribution to your overall score. For a year 6 student to be composing a creative writing piece in 20 MINUTES, they need a lot of practice. If you had not prepared for this section, you would be easily blown out. I remember in my first attempt at this section I only wrote 1/2-3/4 of a page. By the time I sat the test, I was comfortably writing 2 pages. Your ideas need to come so fast for this section that there's no real time for planning - anyone not used to the timing here would get destroyed. If I had known what rote learning was back then, I probably would've rote learned a piece.

In comparison to other sections in the test, reading comprehension is actually quite straightforward. If you went into the test without any prior prep, it would make the least difference in your reading comprehension.

tofusenpai

HSC
Carlingford high school. [emoji846]. Jks, principal is shit and most people doing general maths are dumb.
Carlingford is a pretty good school I have a few friends that go there, not sure if that's exactly west tho

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

tofusenpai

HSC
If you're speaking academic wise.

In the west apart from the ones already mentioned; girra, penrith, sefton, parra

(These are North West)I'd say Model Farms, Castle Hill, Cherrybrook, St Marys, Cabrra, Fairfield, Canley Vale - but these are academic

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Carlingford is a pretty good school I have a few friends that go there, not sure if that's exactly west tho

They ranked top 100 for HSC rankings and are exactly in the same area as James Ruse

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A

In the west apart from the ones already mentioned; girra, penrith, sefton, parra

(These are North West)I'd say Model Farms, Castle Hill, Cherrybrook, St Marys, Cabrra, Fairfield, Canley Vale - but these are academic

I don't think Fairfield makes the list

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
If we are arguing on the basis of time constraints and performance under pressure, then other parts of test are far more difficult.

In english you are expected to complete 45 questions in 40 minutes. For most questions, you won't even have to read the entire text as the questions are designed to target specific lines or words. As long as you can find these phrases in the text, the questions are one-dimensional and simple enough holistic understanding of the text is not needed.

For GA, there's 60 questions in 40 minutes and the questions in this section sometimes require actual thinking. You are required to be able to very quickly identify patterns and solve a wide array of problems from different areas. Your timing will be easily thrown off here if you have not seen the types of questions in the section before.

Maths has the greatest discrepancy from what is in the test to what taught at a primary school level. There are questions here involving constructing your own algebraic equations from written problems and what are essentially some basic sequences and series questions. You need to have strong time management here and be smart in your methods to solve problems.

As for writing, this section is actually insanely difficult to pick up marks at the high end and not worth your time in terms of it's contribution to your overall score. For a year 6 student to be composing a creative writing piece in 20 MINUTES, they need a lot of practice. If you had not prepared for this section, you would be easily blown out. I remember in my first attempt at this section I only wrote 1/2-3/4 of a page. By the time I sat the test, I was comfortably writing 2 pages. Your ideas need to come so fast for this section that there's no real time for planning - anyone not used to the timing here would get destroyed. If I had known what rote learning was back then, I probably would've rote learned a piece.

In comparison to other sections in the test, reading comprehension is actually quite straightforward. If you went into the test without any prior prep, it would make the least difference in your reading comprehension.
I'm not arguing, I'm just stating my opinion on this. It really depends on the individual (As in which perspective they take it from)

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC

Every school you mentioned here except Cherrybrook isn't that great

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Every school you mentioned here except Cherrybrook isn't that great
Girraween is in the top 10
Penrith is in the top 30
Sefton is in the top 55
Cherrybrook is 61
(Castle Hill is pree close too at 74)

lol

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Girraween is in the top 10
Penrith is in the top 30
Sefton is in the top 55
Cherrybrook is 61
(Castle Hill is pree close too at 74)

lol
lol I mean these schools

But Girra, Penrith, and Sefton are all selective.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
lol I mean these schools

But Girra, Penrith, and Sefton are all selective.
Oh okay, you said "Every school you mentioned here" so I assumed you were including those ones as well lelel

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)