Good to have smart friends? (1 Viewer)

Tulii

Like the sun will rise.
HSC
Gday 09'ers

I don't know If its the same for others, but I have a group of quite intellegent friends, most of us are at the same level, but I always have this constant pressure to equal or do better than them in assssments and exams. I supose its connected to my competetive nature, but sometimes I feel extremely stressed to perform well.

Is it better to have competition, or try and focus on yourself and your own personal goals?

xJennax

HSC
I reckon it's good to have friends like that to keep you motivated. None of my friends are motivated as they aren't getting UAIs so I find it kind of hard to stay on track.

dp624

HSC
Smart friends really motivate you. That's why selective schools do so well

danieyo

HSC
lol, in my group were basically all nerds, but with lives.
LOL
my group of friends are so smart and they encourage me and smotivate me which is awesome. we also tutor eachother, read over eachothers works and stuff
its great

so yes i think its good to have a group of smart friends :)

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
Rhanoct said:
i dont befriend people who arent smart
I'm going to agree with this, but probably get called as an ego driven cunt.
Figures.

Anyways, you'll find it'll improve your marks if you have healthy, friendly competition.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
well, I generally hang out with everyone in my year except for few dickheads which I cannot really stand.

I don't really see any benefit of having "smart" friends but everyone is really different. If you fall behind, you can be assured knowing that you can always get help from them but otherwise, what's really the good thing about having smart friends? I just hang out with mates that I am most comfortable with so I don't have any "criteria" when it comes to going out with certain people. I even hang out with the most academically backwards group of people. Having said that, everyone is different. Some people feel comfortable with people who are at their academic levels while some don't.

Scissors

HSC
I like to hang around with especially dumb people because it's really easy to trick them which makes way for extortion. :uhhuh:

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
lyounamu said:
well, I generally hang out with everyone in my year except for few dickheads which I cannot really stand.

I don't really see any benefit of having "smart" friends but everyone is really different. If you fall behind, you can be assured knowing that you can always get help from them but otherwise, what's really the good thing about having smart friends? I just hang out with mates that I am most comfortable with so I don't have any "criteria" when it comes to going out with certain people. I even hang out with the most academically backwards group of people. Having said that, everyone is different. Some people feel comfortable with people who are at their academic levels while some don't.
It just so happens that my grade is pretty intelligent on the whole. ilthem <3

I should probably elaborate on 'smart'. This doesn't mean I have to have genius friends, have academic marvells as friends. I means they have to have a decent head on their shoulders and be able to communicate in an interesting, clever, and worthwhile manner.
'Smart' is a fairly generic title. People are smart in different ways. Im interested in people who are smart in their own special ways and are interesting and articulate.

Boring people are usually stupid. Its not that I'm not particularly.. selective. Like if you're not the smartest cookie in the jar it doesnt mean we're never going to be friends. But if I cant have a conversation with you that doesnt make me recoil at your juvinile or stupid behaviour.. yeahhh. We're not going to get along.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
My friends are.. Well there are a few dumbasses, a few decent, and a few ultra smart ones
So I'm constantly motivated more and more to beat the smart ones, satisfied by beating the dumbasses, and friendly competition between the decent ones
:D

Nasonex

HSC
N/A
Sabotage them!

Backstab them!

I dont care what it takes, do whatver it takes to get Rank #1

'Short-term pain for long-term gain'

adrian597

HSC
I think its good to have smart friends but not jerks who are so obsessed with their own marks and not keen to help others... afterall your group mark can become just as important as your own marks...

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah, competitiveness is all good and well, however, as long as it doesn't breed hatred and intense jealousy. ;)

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
yes to an extent.
they tend help you - vice versa & sharing of ideas/info.
a bit of competition is good cos it motivates you, but i'll do whatever it takes to get the top ranks.

i hang around people who aren't that "smart" (most are probably average or slightly below average)

Tulii

Like the sun will rise.
HSC
Wow. Broad perspective.
Thanks guys Its clear now a little competetion never hurt anyone, just don't over do it.

hairspray

HSC
Rhanoct said:
i dont befriend people who arent smart
LOL

my friend tells me the exact same thing! He also explained to me on countless occassions that friends are like investments... make friends that would benefit you.

I've been sitting next to the two top Maths students ever since yr12 started and for some reason i feel the pressure and motivated to do as well as they're doing.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
Same goes with me.

Although I do know of some people who just like to use others smartness or those really competitive people who adapt to the term 'Keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer'
That's stupid though - I mean those people take schooling to a whole new level. I reckon, just hang out and talk with the people you like and feel comfortable with - for social reasons, and if they can help or if you can help them - that's a bonus. Don't use people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)