Got a question about cars? (1 Viewer)

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
You guys are fucksticks. First of all, merlin aint chev, and even if it were, who gives a fuck, an rb30 is a nissan engine and it was brought out in PRODUCTION by holden. And it's a car engine put into a boat. Not the other way around. bloody keyboard warriors.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I realise this is digging up skeletons but:

Drifting:

Slipstream you have just described one form of drifting. Rear wheel drift, it is however possible to drift in a front wheel drive by engaging in power-on understeer. That is to break traction with the front wheels and control the slide with steering and throttle control.

Finally true drift is a term used to describe when you are in 'neutral-steer' that is you have no traction. The reason this is the holy grail of drifting is three-fold, it is the hardest to enable mechanically, it is the hardest to control and it is the point at which all tyres are working their hardest they literally have nothing left to give.

The method you use to achieve drift is hardly the best, ideally you want to minimise strain on the drivetrain, clutch popping maximises this. It is mechanically better to use power, or judicous brake applications to induce it. And a very good short cut is a drift suspension set up.

Oh and the final pic you posted is a very bad fake, it pretty much comes up at the top of the list when you google drift....

Demandred: Yes drifting can be faster. If you are for instance racing on a tight track overtseer is useful as it enables you to turn tigher at any given speed and thus raise your cornering speed. Whereas if you are on a nice open (fast) track then understeer enables you to carry more speed. Finally in an area like rallying it is the only way to round corners at much more than walking speed.

Getting back to the more recent:

VTEC is as glossed over largely to do with cams. Basically you want the intake and exhaust valves to be open for different lengths of time in normal driving to race driving. Most production cars come with tame evryday cams that are nice and efficient for evryday driving. It is of course possible to fit racing cams however these hurt fuel consumption, idling and low speed power.

So enter Honda with some pretty trick engineering, I won't go into the techincals but at low revs a VTEC head (eg cams, valves etc) behaves nicely like a good day to day driver but once you're in the high revs the cam positioning changes so it's like you suddenly have racing cams. This basically means you get power down low and a nice daily driver but when you want it you ahve loads of power up high.

The turbo comparison comes from the moment that the cam positioning changes and the configuration goes from shopping trolley to race.

Turbo versus supercharger:

Firstly the full name of a turbo is a turbosupercharger. This reflects how similar they are, they basically do the same thing that is cram more air into the combustion chamber as when there's more air you can burn more fuel and go faster.

The difference lies in how they are driven. A supercharger is driven by a belt from the engine, so the faster the engine goes the fatser the supercharger goes the more air it pumps etc etc. Whereas a turbocharger routs exhuast gases from the engine using these to spin a turbine which via a shaft spins a seperate turbine which pumps air.

From an engineering standpoint a turbo is preferable because it is a much better design utilising waste from the engine and not sapping its power. In that an engine has to work to run a supercharger but not a turbo.

However this drive difference is the source of their different characteristics, as the supercharger is spinning away from idle it provides better low down power whereas the turbo needs lots of exhaust gases to get it pumping. Which translates into high revs. Which is basically the story of turbo lag, a turbo needs time to get spinning fast enough.

There are a couple of ways to get around this, lighter turbines in the turbo which are thus easier to spin so spool up quicker. Better, ball bearings which provide less friction so it can spin up quicker. And of course two turbos a small one that spins up quickly and a bigger one that takes longer to spin up. So the small one provides boost from low revs and the big one from high revs.

As far as the boat car thing:

'Drag boats' for want of a better term. Use car engines typically blown V8's. A freind of mine races a 6L Twin-turbo v8.

The reason for this is the demographic who race boats eg bogans not wogs (you wont see many RB26 boats out). The cost, it is easy to pick up a cheap old 308 etc and run it than pay $10K for a half cut etc etc. Finally the v8s in question are very low tech so they are easier to work on in the backyard.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
i love rally :eek:

my uncle's good mates the bates brothers...so each year the canberra rally, up close...the only corolla i love :eek:

SlipStream

HSC
addymac said:
I realise this is digging up skeletons but:

Drifting:

Slipstream you have just described one form of drifting. Rear wheel drift, it is however possible to drift in a front wheel drive by engaging in power-on understeer. That is to break traction with the front wheels and control the slide with steering and throttle control...

.............. [excessive length omitted]
Someone's bored these holidays.

Mate I was generalising. These kind people don't have the patience to read through pages of technical dribble. Your response was overkill, seriously.

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
I read it but that's because i love drifting :eek:
Plus I knew that stuff before. :p

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
The bad thing is I'm not even on holidays..... Todays the first time i've looked in this section and when I read that on the first page of the thread I was forced to respond. I really don't think it would have been that hard to divide drift up a little eg:

Drifting is loosing traction around a corner - there are several types:

Understeer
Oversteer

FWD v RWD

Albeit fleshed out abit. So yeah it annoyed me that you misrepresented to the extent that you did. Now it annoys me that you pressume it beyond people to understand it any better than your sketchy acount.

S13WPN

HSC
Can someone please explain why, when you have a heavy clutch, you dont need to use it as much ie bludge popping??

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
DaddyK said:
Anyone who thinks you can drift for real in a front wheel drive is off with the fairies.
according to addymac it can be understeer and oversteer...FWDs are capable of doing understeering (quite well)

and slipstream, why wouldnt we want to know the tech on cars and things associated with them? people who like cars will read stuff as long as it's informative and relevant to them or their likes

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Anyone who thinks you can rear wheel power slide in a FWD is dreaming. However that is just one type of drifting.....

Last edited:

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
hhahahahaha

reminds me, on monday morning a camry went fishtailing down the street handbrake locked on, and front tyres screaming

so fucking funny, then it went down, turned around and drove quietly up the street

haha...it was fucking bizarre

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
The marvels of know nothing drivers wondering why the car's feeling abit sluggish. They plant the foot and suddenly the car is fishtailing in a most alarming manner, only one thing to do now overcompensate with opposite lock.....

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
just park it into that pole down the road mate...

SlipStream

HSC
Understeering is NOT drifting.

You don't understand driving if you think understeer is drifting...

addymac: I was generalising.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
seriously...

like you said before, i dont think people want such detail

i dont give a flying fuck what the hell everyone wants to call a driving style

i have fun, and thats all i give a shit about, everyone with their god damned technical terms

SlipStream

HSC
braad said:
seriously...

like you said before, i dont think people want such detail

i dont give a flying fuck what the hell everyone wants to call a driving style

i have fun, and thats all i give a shit about, everyone with their god damned technical terms
Amen to that, brutha.

(I'm not sure if that reply was against me or someone else... lol.)

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
mate it's to everyone

people come on asking for a reply, and we give them ones, but they probably dont understand half of what we say

i dont know...it's just annoying me at the moment, i love driving because the feeling it gives me, not because of a word or a number someone tells me

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
braad said:
mate it's to everyone

people come on asking for a reply, and we give them ones, but they probably dont understand half of what we say

i dont know...it's just annoying me at the moment, i love driving because the feeling it gives me, not because of a word or a number someone tells me
Um that's all well and good but the numbers do have some relation to the feeling, ya know. Nor do i know why you're saying all this. :p

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
011 said:
Um that's all well and good but the numbers do have some relation to the feeling, ya know. Nor do i know why you're saying all this. :p
i know they do, but i sometimes feel it's always just too much. I'm all for understanding why cars do things, but i also love going driving and just enjoying it because the feeling.

i dont know, i just seem to find forums like this missing the point in driving and cars

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Why do you think that I'm a member of far bigger and entirely car oriented forums? To me this is an oppurtunity to help people and to talk car talk with people closer my demographic......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)