Got a question about cars? (1 Viewer)

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
turbo's have to wind up, they use the exhaust gasses to spin a turbine, which then can force more air into the engine, thus giving more power, a turbo usually comes in at aound 3000rpm, dont shoot me, different cars have different set ups.
a friend of ours had a racing truck, an IZUZU, he has a 350 chev, with a turbo running 40PSI, he was won the light truck class a few years now.

superchargers run off the pulleys of the engine, and give instant power. they as well force air into the engines, thus giving it more power. not having to wind up like turbo's,
all top drag cars run huge blowers on there Hemi engines

i love the sound of a blown v8 screaming down the hawksburry river at 140mph.
does anyone go out to dargle an watch the boat races, oh the 6L blown it's the best noise u can ever hear

6-7 boats with 6L blown engines, flying down the main straight to get to the first bouy....it's the noise engines were made to make

Last edited:

transcendent

HSC
N/A
i don't like loud engines. can good powerful engines be made to be silenced? even if not completely?

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
transcendent said:
i don't like loud engines. can good powerful engines be made to be silenced? even if not completely?
Yes, in fact I read in SPEED a few months ago of someone who built a wide-body WRX STi based on the Asterope concept shown a few years ago. He went to Japan to pick out all the parts himself, cost him a bucketload. There's also sorts of goodies like a massive screen inside, top buckets, tein adjustable suspension and what not. I remember him saying he deliberately silenced the engine noise because he was irritated by loud engines, and he could do that successfully.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
bowman said:
why the hell would u want that???
ghost car. i want to know if its possible to have a powerful car with a quiet engine so if it needs to get away from someone chasing them and manages to get ahead it can hide in the shadows. or it can pop out of no where and spook other drivers.

besides that it's personal preference, i don't like loud cars. thanks for that 011.

SlipStream

HSC
ToO LaZy ^* said:
lolol..yeah my thoughts exactly.
so..erm..are they better than the 'normal' engines?
i heard they were good for thrashing...

EDIT: what the..:confused:..BOS is playing tricks on me again
Yeh they rev pretty hard. They tend to make a shitload of power - the S2000 is the most powerful naturally aspirated (non turbo or supercharged) production car ever (given its capacity). I guess yeh, they are better than normal engines because they are more efficient. I hear that when the VTEC kicks in, it's like a turbo coming on boost.

VTEC is basically very intelligent cam timing, where they use different cam profiles and adjust the position of the camshaft to get optimal performance by varying the opening and timing of the valves (very generalised but in a nutshell).

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
bowman said:
well i just wanna know the cubic size of it, sorry i would of made it more specific.
it's not a drag car, but it has a fair amount of mumbo behind it. ill get a pic of it

it's a Chrysler Hemi engine 5litre hemispherical engine
almost every to fuel drag cars use the Hemi engines. because they are so fucking powerful.

however doing some reading, i think it could be a 392cubic inch.
the drag ones, arent actually HEMIs, they're derived from the basic 426ci design/size (i believe)...but to keep it simple, they're called HEMIs because they're similar design (i.e. heads) just they didnt come from MOPAR/chrysler/etc

guys(and girls) if you want to know about turbo/superchargers, can you PLEASE read a couple of pages before asking...i thoght i had answered THAT question about 7 posts before the question was asked again

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
transcendent said:
the thing with loud engiens is they're less restricted (eg - straight through exhausts/open) take Drag for example, they dont silence their cars as it'd knock a little power/responsiveness off.

at that level of competition it's understandable, but on the street theres no point keeping 20hp when your car is defectable because it's too loud. So yes, you can do it, but generally people assume they need to have it loud (and yes, most sound nice loud:rolleyes: )

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
Oh no. oh NO no no , no!! i could never part with my baby. I really couldnt. selling it would get me nothing, so i'll be keeping it, even if i do get a new one. My brother wants to put some ridiculous engine in it, and do some other ridiculously painful things to my baby, but lol... who has the money for that? Not me. No im fine just roaring along in my faithful XE

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
OMG you have an XE

lol, we had one of thosssssssssse, with the alloy head, kept bending rods (pushrods - must've been dads driving :rolleyes: )

hmmm...you can do a fair bit with an XE (though excellent fuel consumption isnt one :s)

one day, if you can give up your 'baby' give it to your bro, see if he can actually do what he says he wants to :uhhuh:

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
hahah he cant do it. i told him this, and he goes, nah probly not the lowering but i could do the 454 big block (wtf is this??)lol. HAHAH ohh yeah thirsty bugger. i use my whole weekly pay on just bloody petrol... lol and the only place i drive is to GET to work, where i get said money for the fuel! HAHA. old Hank the Tank (yes, thats what i name him), has heaps of problems. I dont even know where to begin. but even the mechanics cant fix him. :(. He will die soon, i know

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
lol i have posted my car so many times on BOS, but here he is again, just coz i love my car so much. :D:D:D

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
what? huh?

DaddkyK...454...its a fucking chevy lol, ahwells...

i'd prefer a small, but sweet 302 with injection etc etc, enough grunt for normal people (for a while :)) but not as harsh on the fuel and general driving..but hey, i like cars i can drive daily.

petrol sucks, my mate sold his XE not too long ago :( too much wasted money on it

RIP your XE when it goes shelly :(:(

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
454 big block chev
i'm fairly sure it's a chev engine.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
DaddyK said:
A 454 merlin isn't a chev motor.
related with your sisters car..why would you want to put a boat motor into an XE?

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
DaddyK said:
You guys are fucksticks. First of all, merlin aint chev, and even if it were, who gives a fuck, an rb30 is a nissan engine and it was brought out in PRODUCTION by holden. And it's a car engine put into a boat. Not the other way around. bloody keyboard warriors.
1) i never said merlins were chevs (yes, re-read it if you have to)

2) wtf are you talking about? where'd the talk of an RB30 come from?

and you're calling us keyboard warriors

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)