got an offer in B HEALTH SCIENCE, but HELP! (1 Viewer)

howandwhen

HSC
I was planning to study diagnostic radiography, but couldnt get into it, and bachelor of health science is my second choice, so it seems i'll be doing 5 years to be come a radiographer :) anyhow, tonight i have been looking up syd uni webpage and it says in B health science that i will have a second major to choose, personally im quite interested in french, so im thinking putting my second major in art as in french studies, and once i finished the 3 years bachelor course i'll at least can speak some francias ;) Then do the master of diagnostic radiography. Do you guys think it is appropriate ? or should i use the second major to take a science subject like chem and phy? does it matter? it seems there is no require subjects on second majors to entry the master of DR.

Also, will i be taught in Cumberland campus or in the main campus? thank you alll!!! !!!!!

KnifeySpoony

HSC
apparrently year 1 is at main campus, and 2 and 3 is at cumberland.
Though if you do second major in french then you'll probably have some classes at main campus.

ademayd

HSC
If your not french I dont recommend french, you might jeopardise your GPA for no reason. Your decision but you might get bored of it as well.

mm713

HSC
I was planning to study diagnostic radiography, but couldnt get into it, and bachelor of health science is my second choice, so it seems i'll be doing 5 years to be come a radiographer :) anyhow, tonight i have been looking up syd uni webpage and it says in B health science that i will have a second major to choose, personally im quite interested in french, so im thinking putting my second major in art as in french studies, and once i finished the 3 years bachelor course i'll at least can speak some francias ;) Then do the master of diagnostic radiography. Do you guys think it is appropriate ? or should i use the second major to take a science subject like chem and phy? does it matter? it seems there is no require subjects on second majors to entry the master of DR.

Also, will i be taught in Cumberland campus or in the main campus? thank you alll!!! !!!!!
i think if you choose a major that is related to diagnostic radiography, it will benefit you in the long run cause you're aiming to be a diagnostic radiographer when you graduate really. but having a real interest in your second major will really help you get a good grade and thus increase your chances of attaining a minimum credit grade average. so choosing french as your second major is okay too. :)

howandwhen

HSC
apparrently year 1 is at main campus, and 2 and 3 is at cumberland.
Though if you do second major in french then you'll probably have some classes at main campus.
knifeyspoony thanks , but i thought if im doing french i will be in the main campus all 3 years? OR no matter what in 2nd and 3rd will be in cumberland ?

howandwhen

HSC
i think if you choose a major that is related to diagnostic radiography, it will benefit you in the long run cause you're aiming to be a diagnostic radiographer when you graduate really. but having a real interest in your second major will really help you get a good grade and thus increase your chances of attaining a minimum credit grade average. so choosing french as your second major is okay too. :)
thanks mm713, its really hard, i dont find bio or chem especially hard but at the same time i thought about that too (as it related to DR , im ok with them but i would enjoy doing french more, i understand its nothing to do with health science but at the end i'll be doing DR anyway, so why not doing something that im not interested in?
However, is it really hard to attain a minimum credit grade average throughout 3 years? *Worried* what if i got one subject fail in ...say second year. does that mean im all done? no hope for gettin into Master of DR? i got confused about it..

AshVonB

HSC
It's best to choose a second major that is connected to what you want to do...so maybe something like physics as that's core to Diganositcs. But you could choose to practice abroad so French may be useful.

Make sure you look at how that major plays out over the three years of the B HS degree as you need to have a certain amount of credit points to make it a valid major.

Depending on what you choose, you will def be at main campus for the first semester. Then, depending on what major you choose and subsequent electives that will determine what campus you are at. EG, French is at main campus but if you choose anatomy a that will be held at cumbo and so on.

It'd be worth taking a read on the health sciences website and the online handbook on how to structure your degree esp with the second major. You have about until 2nd semester 2nd year to offically decide what you want to major in.

Also, it's a min grade average of about 65% over your total time. So you could have one fail but you may have 6 D's or HD's which would balance things out and so on.

BTW I'm doing BHS! :) I want to do either OT or MRS, stillll not sure so a BHS seems good.

brownie44

HSC
knifeyspoony thanks , but i thought if im doing french i will be in the main campus all 3 years? OR no matter what in 2nd and 3rd will be in cumberland ?
You will be at main campus for the whole 3 years if you do French. The only majors taught out at Cumbo are hearing and speech and movement science. Also, the senior health science units are taught at main campus. Im doing management as my major and Im at main campus. My advice would be to pick a major you enjoy and think you will do well in!

howandwhen

HSC
BTW I'm doing BHS! :) I want to do either OT or MRS, stillll not sure so a BHS seems good.
Thanks ashvonb. what year are you in BHS? :) and what second major are you doing? you said something about anatomy a, i think its pretty cool, does it come from the science or health science ? and how about anatomy b ?

So i dont need to choose what my second major is on the enrollment day right? nor the electives ? thanks for your help!!

brownie44

HSC
Thanks ashvonb. what year are you in BHS? :) and what second major are you doing? you said something about anatomy a, i think its pretty cool, does it come from the science or health science ? and how about anatomy b ?

So i dont need to choose what my second major is on the enrollment day right? nor the electives ? thanks for your help!!
You dont have to choose electives on enrolement day, but its advisable to look at the requirements for your second major to see if you need to do any subjects in first year. Most faculties have the requirements for majors available on their website. For French, go to the arts website and navigate to a French major to see the requirements. This just allows you to make sure you will have enough time to complete the major.

howandwhen

HSC
WOW brownie44 ure a lifesaver, yea i was just wondering how to figure these all out in such small amount of time haha :) thanks for ure tips. i'll look at arts website and get to know more then :) so most students begins their second major in their 2nd year?

brownie44

HSC
WOW brownie44 ure a lifesaver, yea i was just wondering how to figure these all out in such small amount of time haha :) thanks for ure tips. i'll look at arts website and get to know more then :) so most students begins their second major in their 2nd year?
Hearing and speech and movement science majors (which most people in BHS do) begin in second year. But majors from other faculties often have prerequisite subjects that have to be completed in first year (for example, if you were doing a psych major you would need to do PSYC1001 and PSYC1002 to progress to the psych units in second year). Its just good to double check to ensure you can progress to the higher units. I think French may have 2 subjects you have to do first year in semester 1 and semester 2, Im not entirely sure though (a lot of arts subjects work that way).

howandwhen

HSC
Hearing and speech and movement science majors (which most people in BHS do) begin in second year. But majors from other faculties often have prerequisite subjects that have to be completed in first year (for example, if you were doing a psych major you would need to do PSYC1001 and PSYC1002 to progress to the psych units in second year). Its just good to double check to ensure you can progress to the higher units. I think French may have 2 subjects you have to do first year in semester 1 and semester 2, Im not entirely sure though (a lot of arts subjects work that way).
So are you doing hearing and speech/ movement science? i just checked the BHS planning grid. in 2010 sem 1 there are already FOUR subjects that i need to do? which are Foundation of Health Science, Health Science and Research, Human Biology and Psychology. so how would i be able to to an extra subject for french ? :( can i just switch one of them to later?
http://www.fhs.usyd.edu.au/forms/bhs_enrolment_information.pdf
at the last page.
Sorry to bothering you so much!!

brownie44

HSC
So are you doing hearing and speech/ movement science? i just checked the BHS planning grid. in 2010 sem 1 there are already FOUR subjects that i need to do? which are Foundation of Health Science, Health Science and Research, Human Biology and Psychology. so how would i be able to to an extra subject for french ? :( can i just switch one of them to later?
at the last page.
Thats ok, when I first enrolled I was so confused about everything! Im doing a management major, so Im at main campus all the time. As for the 4 subjects in semester 1, I think health science and research is available in semester 2. So you could swap health science and research to semester 2 and fit French in first semester. But you will have to double check at enrolment, sometimes they dont run it in semester 2 (Im pretty sure they will though). Any other questions feel free to ask!

randa1

HSC
at the last page.

If you really want to take up a french major, i suggest that you do HSBH1007 Health Science and Research in Semester 2 instead of Semester 1 so that you can do one of the first year core french units (depending on your level either FRNC1611 Junior French Introductory 1, FRNC1621 Junior French Intermediate 3 or FRNC1631 Junior French Advanced 5).

This means that in Semester 2 you'll only be able to take one elective, which will be the other core unit for the french stream you've chosen.

Your first Year course outline will look a bit like this:
Semester 1:
- HSBH1006 Foundations of Health Sciences
- PSYC1001 Psychology 1001
- A junior unit of biology BIOL1001, BIOL1003 etc ( I suggest you do BIOL1003 as it's a human bio unit which will help you out since you want to do DR)
- French unit
Semester 2:
- HSBH1007 Health Science and Research
- HSBH1008 Health Determinants and Interventions
- HSBH1009 Health Care Resources and Systems
- French unit

I hope that wasn't too confusing and good luck with the BHS course. I'm sure you'll really enjoy it.:)

AshVonB

HSC
I'm going to do a psych major. I really wanted to do it plus I have friends who have majored in it and tell me the courses are really good (bar statistics yuk). I'm going into my first year of health sciences but I started off as an arts student at usyd.

I have a question too brownie. Your health science units take up about 60 credit points from what you have to do and say your major (to qualify) takes up 54 credit points, can you jsut do anything with the left over credit points from any subject offered at the uni?

howandwhen

HSC
I'm going to do a psych major. I really wanted to do it plus I have friends who have majored in it and tell me the courses are really good (bar statistics yuk). I'm going into my first year of health sciences but I started off as an arts student at usyd.

I have a question too brownie. Your health science units take up about 60 credit points from what you have to do and say your major (to qualify) takes up 54 credit points, can you jsut do anything with the left over credit points from any subject offered at the uni?
I have the same question! like that 60 credit points are for health science right? and you need a total of 144 credit points to finish the WHOLE bachelor of health science right? or ashvon is that the second major, (in my case) : French. i will need to get 54 credits points of unit from that? I got confused about how many credit points i should get for French studies.

and also like you say are we just do anything with the left over credit points from any subjects??:confused:

HSC
you guys think this would be any better or worse to help for entry into grad med? i didnt make it into med sci @ usyd =|

Last edited:

howandwhen

HSC
you guys think this would be any better or worse to help for entry into grad med? i didnt make it into med sci @ usyd =|
wow you did commerce at UNSW and now doing BHS and thinking to go to med? :O

alphaisanidiot

HSC
Hey Howandwhen. I'm also starting BHS this year. I was going to major in German but decided against it because you not only have to study the language subjects which is fine, but also things like German culture, literature and history etc. Im sure it's similar to how the French major is structured. I now wish to major in Psychology or anatomy because they relate more to what I might want to do after the BHS.

Hope to see you at enrolment/O-week/in class :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)