Gothic Genre for Extension English?? (1 Viewer)

benchwarmer17

HSC
hey i was just wondering if anybody else is studying the gothic genre in extension english this year?

i think it's great, i'm loving it so far :)

oh and is anybody doing the crime genre next year? just curious :tongue:

muzeikchun852

HSC
i dont do extension english, but i know most of the school (including ours) use crime fiction for hsc.

gella

HSC
yo, i did gothic for prelim and am currently doing crime.
gothic fiction was mad fun for me, particularly when it comes to creative, which, oddly enough, i despise. because there is practically a check-list of conventions for any given gothic story, this makes it waaaay easy to build a story and add your own little twist to it. sounds gay but i had a ball with this module. but yeah...crime fiction is shit.

benchwarmer17

HSC
yo, i did gothic for prelim and am currently doing crime.
gothic fiction was mad fun for me, particularly when it comes to creative, which, oddly enough, i despise. because there is practically a check-list of conventions for any given gothic story, this makes it waaaay easy to build a story and add your own little twist to it. sounds gay but i had a ball with this module. but yeah...crime fiction is shit.
so crime is really bad? well i'm not sure if i'll stick with extension next year or not, i'm not exactly the biggest fan of crime..

but i totally understand what you mean about the creative side of it. so fun, i'm loving it at the moment, aside from all the homework... ughhh that bit sucks.

gella

HSC
it depends on you and how you write, really. because of the formulaic nature of gothicism, it makes it loads easier to write a story, whereas with crime fiction, i've been finding it really hard to come up with a somewhat original idea that isn't too cliche. that and i feel like the crimes i come up with are too simplistic, lol. but again, as i said, depends on you and your writing style. tbh i think you should stick with it - it's loads better than advanced because of the depth you go into for each given text. and plus critical is always easy as piss..so if you're like me, and not as good at creative writing, just score all your points in critical and try your best in creative. stick with it i say :)

fly8

HSC
I'm doing revenge tragedy.
Medea :L

its alright, but its kinda hard to write about.
i cant think of any good themes.

benchwarmer17

HSC
I'm doing revenge tragedy.
Medea :L

its alright, but its kinda hard to write about.
i cant think of any good themes.
revenge tragedy? wow.. never heard of that as an extension topic before.

what kind of texts do you guys study for that? for example we're doing edgar allan poe and just recently dracula at the moment..

lucymargaret

HSC
currently doing gothic horror in my eng extension and absolutely loving it. we are doing dracula, did anyone find it not so much difficult to read, but that you really had to concentrate on everything bram stoker was talking about??
finally finished the book, i think our main topic within the gothic horror is vampires :) we are doing some edgar allan poe short stories and then studying the buffy series (teacher is awesome, and buffy is her favourite)
just wondering what other topics we will most likely be dong.

stevey6404

HSC
yeah, did that during term 1 studying dracula, and now currently doing postmoderism at the same time as doing our major research project on anything we want.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I am. We are doing the "duality in the human condition."

benchwarmer17

HSC
currently doing gothic horror in my eng extension and absolutely loving it. we are doing dracula, did anyone find it not so much difficult to read, but that you really had to concentrate on everything bram stoker was talking about??
finally finished the book, i think our main topic within the gothic horror is vampires :) we are doing some edgar allan poe short stories and then studying the buffy series (teacher is awesome, and buffy is her favourite)
just wondering what other topics we will most likely be dong.
yep we are doing dracula as well, and we will be doing a little bit on buffy, but more on van helsing i think. and i completely understand what you mean about having to concentrate alot when reading it!! i liked it, but to be honest some of them talked crap sometimes lol. but yeah we are comparing different types of vampire adaptations in history

lucymargaret

HSC
well thats good, glad im not the only one who was having difficutly. i normally never take this long on a book, but dracula was just different.
i think we are doing frankenstein either later this year or next year.
my teacher said that if i had a hard time with dracula, then to start reading frankenstein now...
any suggestions, should i get started early??

kawaiinlove

HSC
i did gothic last year, this year crime. last year i actually looked forward to each extension class. Not anymore..

i suppose gothic was great for me because i find novels from the 1800s much more enjoyable to read than stuff now. another good thing about gothic fiction was that it was just like writing any other story, except adding the gothic conventions along the way. i find it quite difficult to write crime because you can't just make something up as you go along. you have to very carefully plan everything from placement of the red herrings to deciding if you want it to be "golden age" or whatever. this is particularly stressful during an exam :p

not to mention i haven't the slightest interest in crime at all.

Katie_Belikov

HSC
Yes I am doin Gothic Liturature this year in extension. It is so good we have studied The Fall Of The House O Usher by Edgar Allan Poe and The Others film by Amenabar and The Monk by Mathew Lewis. It is such an interesting subject and it is really quite exciting. It really got me into the classic gothic novels sch as Picture of Dorian Gray and Wuthering Heights.
I am also doing Crime Fiction next year.

English Advanced
English Extension:bat:
Mathematics
Mathematics Extension
Physics
Chemistry
Music 1
Visual Arts

x3Batman

HSC
lol im currently in ext eng class atm, looking up noted about the gothic genre.
totally loving the topic since ive always been into the dark gory novel ;)
cant wait to do crime fiction next year ^^

mortellement

HSC
My English extension class is currently doing gothic as well and we have just finished watching Dracula and are now studying the visual aspects within the gothic. I love the subject and I’m currently doing really well, although it is hard to find modern gothic related texts sometimes. If anyone had any suggestions it would be appreciated. We are also doing crime fiction next year which should be interesting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)