Government can now see your bank details(whoever is on Centrelink) (2 Viewers)

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Schroedinger said:
All I know is that Citibank isn't reporting SHIT to anyone.

Love citibank. No charges for any ATM withdrawl at any ATM. No charges for anything. Amazing online banking interface.

Great company; great rate of interest and they aren't supplying SHIT
I'm going to switch my account from CBA to Citibank now.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I wish i could switch from CommBank, but it's just so convenient, as they have have my banking, credit card, saver account and share trading accounts linked.

Also, shouldn't centrelink have you sign some agreement allowing them to monitor your bank account?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
awesome. i'm going to go open a BankWest account today. they look like an awesome bank, especially because they're open literally every day and have better interest rates than other banks

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
I propose we stop paying taxes, chicky! Why should we have to give our money to a government that simply mismanages it and does not take into account our own needs and considerations?

They're comin' back!

lol :D

stazi

Nightman
HSC
JaredR said:
I propose we stop paying taxes, chicky! Why should we have to give our money to a government that simply mismanages it and does not take into account our own needs and considerations?

They're comin' back!

lol :D
yeah, our government should give it all to israel to manage for us. i hear jews are really good with money

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
stazi said:
yeah, our government should give it all to israel to manage for us. i hear jews are really good with money
We could round in a new form of economic conservatism never before seen!

Though not all Jews fit this stereotype. I am an impulse buyer who spends money willy nilly.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Exactly. It pisses me off, as I have made reporting errors in the past, particularly when Centrelink randomly deactivates online reporting for me without notice (they do this every few months for no reason). It's easier reporting in the next period than calling them up, waiting on hold for ages to finally tell them how much I earned.

banco55

HSC
Malfoy said:
This is fucking ridiculous. The police need a warrant to search your house; they should need something similar to search your bank account. It's an invasion of privacy.
You don't like it don't take the taxpayer's money.

Trajan

HSC
stazi said:
Exactly. It pisses me off, as I have made reporting errors in the past, particularly when Centrelink randomly deactivates online reporting for me without notice (they do this every few months for no reason). It's easier reporting in the next period than calling them up, waiting on hold for ages to finally tell them how much I earned.

Why do you need centrelink , stazi?

I thought you were a well-off kid.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
There are different ways of getting centrelink. These include being independent, having to live away from home for distance reasons, and others. You can be 'well-off' but still receive it.

Personally, I get it because of independence: I don't take any money from my parents and earned enough in a certain period.

It's also a good investment for the government, as it minimises my need to work a job during the university semester, which allows me to focus on my grades, and extra-curricular stuff, which in turn gives me a better chance to land a good grad job (which is what did happen).

banco55

HSC
stazi said:
There are different ways of getting centrelink. These include being independent, having to live away from home for distance reasons, and others. You can be 'well-off' but still receive it.

Personally, I get it because of independence: I don't take any money from my parents and earned enough in a certain period.

It's also a good investment for the government, as it minimises my need to work a job during the university semester, which allows me to focus on my grades, and extra-curricular stuff, which in turn gives me a better chance to land a good grad job (which is what did happen).
I support payments for students but I don't think your argument makes little sense. If you hadn't got the good grad job some other student would have got it. It's a good investment for the government if you wouldn't complete uni but for the payments and clearly that wasn't the case with you.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
banco55 said:
I support payments for students but I don't think your argument makes sense. If you hadn't got the good grad job some other student would have got it. It's a good investment for the government if you wouldn't complete uni but for the payments and clearly that wasn't the case with you.
huh? what? Why is it a good investment only if I don't complete uni? Their meagre $250/fortnight payments, or whatever it is after i calculate employment income (if I earn like $200/fortnight from work, the payments start decreasing) will be more than repaid when I start earning a grad salary. If someone else got the grad job, then it's likely they got it because they had rich parents and didn't have to work through uni, freeing up time for the skills I've developed.

Also, as I was able to focus on my studies and extracurricular stuff so much, I've developed a crazy amount of skills which will allow me to rise to very high up positions (which Australians may not usually be qualified for). For instance, if I become CMO of an American subsidiary stationed here, and they don't feel the need to import someone from their US branch for the position, then imagine the tax revenue they will get.

banco55

HSC
stazi said:
huh? what? Why is it a good investment only if I don't complete uni? Their meagre $250/fortnight payments, or whatever it is after i calculate employment income (if I earn like $200/fortnight from work, the payments start decreasing) will be more than repaid when I start earning a grad salary. If someone else got the grad job, then it's likely they got it because they had rich parents and didn't have to work through uni, freeing up time for the skills I've developed.

Also, as I was able to focus on my studies and extracurricular stuff so much, I've developed a crazy amount of skills which will allow me to rise to very high up positions (which Australians may not usually be qualified for). For instance, if I become CMO of an American subsidiary stationed here, and they don't feel the need to import someone from their US branch for the position, then imagine the tax revenue they will get.
Sorry I might have worded that poorly. What I meant was that it's arguably only a good investment if you would have unable (or unwilling) to go to uni without government assistance (I know quite a few people in that boat).

By the same token you could have dropped out of uni and built a big internet company that would generate lots of revenue, jobs etc. It's all hypothetical. In any case at most companies your undergrad performance just gets you a foot in the door. How far you rise from there is usually due to job performance, luck etc.

banco55

HSC
Malfoy said:

Government-monitored bank accounts are pretty fucked whichever way you look at it. I'm not a fan of welfare in the slightest - and anyone who's seen more than a handful of my posts knows that - but just because someone is poor doesn't mean the government should have the right to treat them like a criminal. Innocent until proven guilty and all. See also: quarantining welfare payments and similar. I don't understand how anyone can think government intervention in the form of bank account monitoring is okay, it removes the right to privacy.

Next this quasi-communist government will want to tap phone lines. Hope you're okay with being put under surveillance by the government for no real reason and all... this kind of thing is a slippery slope in my opinion.
Well they could just change a component of the welfare payments to food stamps or something similar. If I had to choose between the two policy options I think the food stamps one would be better then monitoring bank accounts but no labour government is going to do that.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I would be far less willing to go to uni without government assistance. If I did uni without centrelink , then I wouldn't get as good a job as I wouldn't have had any time to study, get work experience and do extracurricular activities. Given how difficult it is to find a job in marketing, even getting that foot in the door would be nearly impossible. This would mean I'd be unemployed for a while, and would be likely to require centrelink assistance at that point.

The person who drops out of uni to build a big e-company would need capital to start it up. With the small centrelink payments, it would be near impossible.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
banco55 said:
Well they could just change a component of the welfare payments to food stamps or something similar. If I had to choose between the two policy options I think the food stamps one would be better then monitoring bank accounts but no labour government is going to do that.
Food stamps? How would you redeem them, unless it's only for basic foodstuff at supermarkets? What if you're out and about most of the time: how would you redeem foodstamps for takeaway food? What if someone else purchases your food for you as per some agreement? What if I consume less food than others? What if I can work out an efficient way to save food to make it last longer with my cooking, thus giving me the potential to save up money in the long-term? Should I also be cheated out of savings in exchange for food stamps?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I do support the government monitoring the bank accounts of welfare cheats they have evidence against, already. For example, if there's a person getting benefits for having children, and don't actually spend any of that on their children, but on drugs, and there is evidence, or a tip-off about that, then perhaps spend should be monitored.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
The government isn't forcing it on people though. If you don't like it you can always, ummmm, NOT RELY ON WELFARE.

Also, I dont think its a particularly large imposition. I actually receive payments and tbh I don't care. I see little potential for abuse.
Potential for abuse is high from people who get 'cash in hand', who accrue interest, who receive unreported scholarships/prizes, and who gamble on the stock market.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)