GPA AS A BELL CURVE? (1 Viewer)

Dylanamali

HSC
How do GPA's at UNSW and USYD work?

I know that at UWS they do not work on the "bell curve" system - e.g. there is a fixed no. of people who can receive HD's, D's etc.

Does UNSW and USYD utilise that kind of bell curve system or is it just, if a student meets the requirements for a HD, then they will receive a HD.. e.g. everyone in the course technically has the ability to achieve HD's.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
We have a strict percentage of students which can get a credit, distinction and high distinction.

Flying

HSC
Why would Uni's have a strict number of people who can get hd's, d's, c's???

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
We have a strict percentage of students which can get a credit, distinction and high distinction.
Does this count for the Maths?

I have a friend who ranked 10th in the course for Advanced Chem, but only got 79.

I just missed out on a rank for Advanced Integral, but I had a much higher mark.

izzy88

HSC
I think it is up the each faculty as to exactly what policy they have for bell curving/what percentages they can give out

For example, in Law at USYD:

"4.1 No more than 40% of the students may receive a grade of D or above.
4.2 The range of HD grades must be between 3-10% of the total number of students.
4.3 A minimum of 10% D grades must be awarded."

This applies for subjects that have more than 25 students.

The reason law introduced this a couple of years ago was:

"The purpose of this policy is to ensure an appropriate degree of fairness and consistency in assessment. It will allow a meaningful comparison of marks, where a grade given in one subject signifies a level of achievement that is similar to that reflected by the same grade in another subject. In this way, the standardisation policy aims to support students (by promoting fairness and transparency), to assist academics (by providing appropriate guidance in their assessment of students’ works), and be more useful and transparent for other universities (who look at students’ grades for accreditation and admission purposes) and for prospective employers. The standardisation policy also aims not only to ensure an appropriate degree of fairness and consistency in marking across a particular year, but from year-to-year, to ensure relative stability in the level of marks awarded, and to maintain the integrity of the marks given and to avert “grade inflation” and its consequent impact on the award of honours and ranking on graduation."

Basically they thought too many students were getting D's and it was de-valuing the degree. The idea is that technically one year of law is not going to be dramatically better or worse than another year, and this way standards are maintained despite different markers/teachers/course structures etc.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
No maximum/minimum. Although the course coordinator can do whatever the hell they want to the final marks (scale them up/down as appropriately to bring them in line so they are similar to previous years if this year had an easy/hard exam etc).

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
~10% HD ~30% D ~40% Credit ~20% Pass.
Not a requirement, but if the distribution deviate significantly, then tutor may be required to explain why.

My tutor once told the class he got some heat from the faculty for giving an overall distinction average.

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
Does this count for the Maths?

I have a friend who ranked 10th in the course for Advanced Chem, but only got 79.

I just missed out on a rank for Advanced Integral, but I had a much higher mark.
According to this, over 10% of advanced students got HD's (I'm assuming this also includes the 1903/4 kids).

http://assign3.chem.usyd.edu.au/firstyear/units_over_time.cfm?unit=chem1901

I'm guessing there'd easily be at least a hundred people doing advanced + SSP chem. How could he have missed out?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)