GPS recommendations (1 Viewer)

MysticalElement

Troll Slayer
HSC
Hi Everyone....
I'm thinking about buying a gps......but i'm pretty clueless on what features are imporant and features everyone likes...so can u please suggest some good models out at the moment...... prolly spending up to around 400...so if u could say what the model is...its price and where you got it tht'd be great

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
iam pretty clueless aswell, but tomorrow i plan on going to super cheap auto and buying a "navman s30" for $277 which seems pretty cheap.

i guess the important things are such like, voice guidance, the right maps, markers showing where things are [like speed cameras or cop cars]

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
TomTom are meant to be pretty good.

They range from 300-600, I'd check out that one at supercheap, see if it has what you're looking for.

dwarven

[SMSHS'08']
HSC
ummm get the mio c520
has voiced directions, bluetooth and has speed limits for most roads and has speedcam locations

efhat

HSC
saw a navman advertised for around $220 the other day.....thats heaps cheap....im not sure where tho, i think it was target?

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
Riet said:
TomTom are meant to be pretty good.

They range from 300-600, I'd check out that one at supercheap, see if it has what you're looking for.
supported. the tomtom is a good one.
drawback: sometimes it thinks there's a roundabout where there very clearly isn't one.
plus: you get to pick what accent you want it to have, which can make for some funsies.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
dwarven said:
ummm get the mio c520
has voiced directions, bluetooth and has speed limits for most roads and has speedcam locations
yeh i saw this online for pretty cheap[like $350] and cnet rated it as the best gps unit.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Serius said:
yeh i saw this online for pretty cheap[like $350] and cnet rated it as the best gps unit.
Picked up one for $225 on ebay :)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Can't believe GPS are so cheap now. A TomTom One v3 ranges between $249 and $299 depending on shops. Check out JB Hifi, Dick Smith, etc... they always advertise this model in catalogues. Spend a bit more to get same model but with hugeass widescreen called TomTom One XL for aroudn $380-$400ish.

In my experience, TomTom is good. Can't believe I paid $600+ for my TomTom One v2 only a year and a half ago though :(

ps. Only thing bad about the TomTom One is that the mount isn't very good if you don't keep your windscreen clean; but this was easily fixed by buying a good quality mount off eBay for $25.

eddie101

HSC
Honestly mate, I work at Dick Smiths Electronics and the highest selling GPS navigation units are the tomtoms, followed closely by the navmans.

Also - if you get in quick, we are selling the "TOMTOM ONE V3" for $249. The special ends on the 17th so hurry! This is probably the best value for money.
The best value for money Navman is the s50 which you can pick up for $327 at DSE.

Hope this helps!

romancandle

HSC
If your willing to spend a little more then what a Tom Tom will cost, go for a Garmin Nuvi 310 of 360. Fantastic little unit. has won several awards..

CieL

HSC
So what does the price difference give you?

em_516

bludging..
HSC
Consider one that will tell you if a road-block is in the direction you are heading and then will work out a new route to take to avoid getting stuck in the traffic jam. Probably more pricey for that though but that would be pretty handy in my opinion.

CieL

HSC
And how often is that going to happen, in an area that you're not familiar with?

em_516

bludging..
HSC
Helped my mate out when he drove Tamworth > Newie. Avoided a lot of shit.
Was just a suggestion..

CieL

HSC
em_516 said:
Was just a suggestion..
Sorry I must of sounded rude lol

What I was just trying to find out was why is there such huge price differences, and why certain brands are preferred over others, and if there's "levels" within brands..

I mean, I just thought the point of a GPS was to get you from point A to point B.

sunny

meh.
HSC
CieL said:
Sorry I must of sounded rude lol

What I was just trying to find out was why is there such huge price differences, and why certain brands are preferred over others, and if there's "levels" within brands..
There are big price differences within/between brands mainly because of the brand itself, and the feature set: things like bigger screen, text to speech, more POIs, TMC, geotagging and bluetooth handsfree will cost you more money.

I've used a TomTom One and Navman S50, but I prefer my Mio C520 over the two. Its not a household GPS name but I like it very much.

CieL said:
I mean, I just thought the point of a GPS was to get you from point A to point B.
Ahh but they do so much more! How else can they sell you new models? What em_516 was talking about with TMC will automatically reroute based on broadcasted traffic conditions. You can take phone calls through the GPS without taking your phone out when you're driving with bluetooth handsfree. TTS means you get street names read to you, and bigger screen means a easier to read map. They'll always come up with something new to make you buy the next model up! :p

jovelar

HSC
my father, used to own a dick smith, but from what i knew out of the experiences is, tom tom is da best. i mean him his brother and father all use tom toms, even though they are all different models. i even got my mum to buy a tom tom. we used to have navman, but in our experience, tom tom is better. anyway get a tom tom if you really want a gps. i am right now currently about to get one, as soon as i buy a car, and i am also going to buy new audio for my car. eh i cant help myself sometimes LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)