Intel core i5 661 @ 3.33Ghz
EVGA P55 FTW 200 Motherboard
4GB Corsair Dominator GT 1600Mhz DDR3 Dual Channel RAM
ASUS Radeon 5870 1GB V2
Thermaltake ToughPower XT 775W PSU
Samsung 2443BW+ 24" monitor

And all the extras: hdds, optical, keyboard, mouse, CPU cooler, Windows 7

Already have a case and headset
dude why are you downgrading to an i5? the i7 920/930 is a solid choice in terms of overclockability. though if you're going i7 920 you might as well go amd 965 since they perform about the same.

that board is a SLI board, you can't go crossfire on it, thought single card is fine.

Mem is a non issue you can always add more.

you might need more than 775W if you're going to watercool and crossfire.

if you're dead set on going crossfire, get a 30' inch or 2(3?) 24'/27" monitors and hook them up through eyefinity to take full advantage of your crossfire setup. or stick to a single card and get a 27' monitor, the choice is yours. 24 inch may look huge now, but once you get used to it you'll want more, trust me on that one.

abbeyroad

HSC
N/A
I'm just going to put some things out there...

a 5970 is a brilliant card... it however is bottlenecked by the latest core i7 985 6 core overclocked to 4.4Ghz on air...

Yes I did just say that... 4.4Ghz on air with 6 cores :)
:haha::haha:

in what? shitty ports like GTA4?

funniest bullshit I've seen in a while, lrn2computer.

Gibbatron

HSC
N/A
dude why are you downgrading to an i5? the i7 920/930 is a solid choice in terms of overclockability. though if you're going i7 920 you might as well go amd 965 since they perform about the same.

that board is a SLI board, you can't go crossfire on it, thought single card is fine.

Mem is a non issue you can always add more.

you might need more than 775W if you're going to watercool and crossfire.

if you're dead set on going crossfire, get a 30' inch or 2(3?) 24'/27" monitors and hook them up through eyefinity to take full advantage of your crossfire setup. or stick to a single card and get a 27' monitor, the choice is yours. 24 inch may look huge now, but once you get used to it you'll want more, trust me on that one.
Still deciding on the cpu setup. Two cards is too expensive if im going to go top quality on everything else, so its on hold for the time being, if i ever decide its necesary. Im considering a few builds, depends how much i want to get. If i go i7 i sacrifice getting peripherals for a while cause of the increased costs. If i go i5 i can afford everything i need.

I might be getting a car though so the comp could be going on hold for a little while. And about the 24" - i know it will look small after a while :( . The problem is i dont have enough room on my desk. Even a 24" will be struggling.

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
:haha::haha:

in what? shitty ports like GTA4?

funniest bullshit I've seen in a while, lrn2computer.

Running the Cry 3 Engine...

I have a couple of friends who work for Crytek... And they've been testing their engine on high end hardware as well as low end hardware...

and I also have friends who work for APC as well as Atomic...

Atomic actually posted their stats in their latest magazine....

I'll type up the relevant part of the article

"Whacking the 980X into our Asus Maximus II Extreme X58 Mobo alongside 6GB of speedy Corsair RAM, we gave the stock cooler a go but quickly changed to the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme, setting out sights on pushing this chip as far as it could go on air. A quick flash of the board to a new BIOS was all that was needed, and for those X58 users out there it's a simple drop in upgrade. Dialing in a new multipler of 28X with stock volts of 1.2V returned a confusing 26,307 points in Cinebench - until we realised the chip was automatically underclocking itself thanks to the C1E setting. Stripping that and all other safety precautions away (who needs them!) gave a much more satisfying result of 28,941, and we kept pushing the clocks until we reached a max of 33x.

This multiplier gave a final clock of 4405MHz (33x133 @1.4125), giving a huge 33,748 points! Keep in mind that there are six cores here, all running at 4.4Ghz - that's some serious bragging rights at any LAN. The chip kept its suprises going, and even when overclocked to a more reasonable speed of 4273MHz (32x133 @1.35) the 5970 returned a 3DMark score of 28,771 - with the CPU score only increasing by 1500. What this means is that even with a hexa-core overclocked CPU, a 5970 is still bottlenecked by the processor"

bite me

Because that's one of multiple tests I know of. When I asked my friends at Crytek they were like "yea man, that's about what we're getting"

abbeyroad

HSC
N/A
Running the Cry 3 Engine...

I have a couple of friends who work for Crytek... And they've been testing their engine on high end hardware as well as low end hardware...

and I also have friends who work for APC as well as Atomic...

Atomic actually posted their stats in their latest magazine....

I'll type up the relevant part of the article

"Whacking the 980X into our Asus Maximus II Extreme X58 Mobo alongside 6GB of speedy Corsair RAM, we gave the stock cooler a go but quickly changed to the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme, setting out sights on pushing this chip as far as it could go on air. A quick flash of the board to a new BIOS was all that was needed, and for those X58 users out there it's a simple drop in upgrade. Dialing in a new multipler of 28X with stock volts of 1.2V returned a confusing 26,307 points in Cinebench - until we realised the chip was automatically underclocking itself thanks to the C1E setting. Stripping that and all other safety precautions away (who needs them!) gave a much more satisfying result of 28,941, and we kept pushing the clocks until we reached a max of 33x.

This multiplier gave a final clock of 4405MHz (33x133 @1.4125), giving a huge 33,748 points! Keep in mind that there are six cores here, all running at 4.4Ghz - that's some serious bragging rights at any LAN. The chip kept its suprises going, and even when overclocked to a more reasonable speed of 4273MHz (32x133 @1.35) the 5970 returned a 3DMark score of 28,771 - with the CPU score only increasing by 1500. What this means is that even with a hexa-core overclocked CPU, a 5970 is still bottlenecked by the processor"

bite me

Because that's one of multiple tests I know of. When I asked my friends at Crytek they were like "yea man, that's about what we're getting"
ahahahaha wait, so they gave a bunch of score in cinebench and "with the cpu score only increasing by 1500", they then jump to the conclusion that a 5970 is bottlenecked by a i7 980x? orly? increasing by 1500 over what? Did they just pull that out of their ass? where are the reference scores? where is the baseline score? where is the comparative analysis with diagrams? is that the best you can come up with? really?

here are the results from a real bottleneck test. from CPU Scaling With The Radeon HD 5970 - Core i7 Scaling

if you look at the diagram above, you'll see that while underclocking does decrease performance, the opposite is not true. in fact the fps plateaued at 2.6GHz and that is on the "lowly" 920 paired with the 5970. if the 920 was indeed bottlenecking the 5970, you'd see an increase in fps with every Hz gained past 2.6GHz which is not the case.

Same deal with Far Cry 2

lol not even an i7 920 can bottleneck a 5970, gg.

by the way I have a couple of friends working at Microsoft who told me that the Win 9 they're working on is bottlenecked by the i7 980x. They said that they've been testing it on high end hardware and low end hardware and came to the conclusion that you'll need a 20GHz cpu and at least 100G of ram to run it smoothly.

I then asked my friends at Intel, Nvidia and AMD and they were like "yeah man that's what we're getting"

Teclis

HSC
ahahahaha wait, so they gave a bunch of score in cinebench and "with the cpu score only increasing by 1500", they then jump to the conclusion that a 5970 is bottlenecked by a i7 980x? orly? increasing by 1500 over what? Did they just pull that out of their ass? where are the reference scores? where is the baseline score? where is the comparative analysis with diagrams? is that the best you can come up with? really?
I told you it was an excerpt... Get off your high horse dipshit.

And I think you have a different definition of bottlenecked...

here are the results from a real bottleneck test. from CPU Scaling With The Radeon HD 5970 - Core i7 Scaling

if you look at the diagram above, you'll see that while underclocking does decrease performance, the opposite is not true. in fact the fps plateaued at 2.6GHz and that is on the "lowly" 920 paired with the 5970. if the 920 was indeed bottlenecking the 5970, you'd see an increase in fps with every Hz gained past 2.6GHz which is not the case.

Same deal with Far Cry 2

lol not even an i7 920 can bottleneck a 5970, gg.

by the way I have a couple of friends working at Microsoft who told me that the Win 9 they're working on is bottlenecked by the i7 980x. They said that they've been testing it on high end hardware and low end hardware and came to the conclusion that you'll need a 20GHz cpu and at least 100G of ram to run it smoothly.

I then asked my friends at Intel, Nvidia and AMD and they were like "yeah man that's what we're getting"
Do you make yourself laugh?

abbeyroad

HSC
N/A
I told you it was an excerpt... Get off your high horse dipshit.

Do you make yourself laugh?
wow so I provided detailed results in my post while you, having nothing to support your claim with, have to resort to petty personal insults? yeah I expected nothing more tbh, dumbfucks like you tend to do that when they get pwned by facts and hard data on the interwebz.

omggg I can haz insults too11~~~~` hax!121!!!1`~1

And I think you have a different definition of bottlenecked...
bottleneck - n from wikipedia: In engineering, a bottleneck is a phenomenon by which the performance or capacity of an entire system is severely limited by a single component

from thefreedictionary:
1. a. A narrow or obstructed section, as of a highway or a pipeline.
b. A point or an area of traffic congestion.

2. A hindrance to progress or production.
3. The narrow part of a bottle near the top.
v. from thefreedictionary: To slow down or impede by creating an obstruction

Is the i7 920 causing a slowdown in performance as measured by fps across a wide range of clock frequency when paired with the 5970? In other words, is there a difference in performance(fps) when the i7 is overclocked beyond 2.6GHz?

how many "different" definitions of the term"bottleneck" are there you imbecile?

why don't you go suck off your friends working at crytek and apc and atomic and let them cum on your face so they'll tell you how the 5970 is bottlenecked by the 980x you dumb fucking piece of shit. seriously your dad should have shot his fucking load on the wall. omggzzzz haxxxx aginaaass~~1111!!``one~111~!2213!``1!2one

"lulz da 5970 iz bottlenecked by da 980x cuz mai frenz dat work at crytek n apc n atomic said so lulz I sucked their dicks so itz must b tru!111`!!~!~1111!!!

Teclis

HSC
It's a summary...

For interesting reading...

They don't usually include all the statistics in a magazine article because it costs a little thing called money to print these articles...

So yes they leave out some reference scores... So when I see my friends who work there next, I'll ask them for your precious reference scores...

abbeyroad

HSC
N/A
It's a summary...

For interesting reading...

They don't usually include all the statistics in a magazine article because it costs a little thing called money to print these articles...

So yes they leave out some reference scores... So when I see my friends who work there next, I'll ask them for your precious reference scores...
fuck you really are that dumb aren't you.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
fuck you really are that dumb aren't you.

Wow, someone is being a bit immature here.

How about you grow up hey? People would start listening to your input once you stop acting like a douche.

abbeyroad

HSC
N/A
Wow, someone is being a bit immature here.

How about you grow up hey? People would start listening to your input once you stop acting like a douche.
yeah how about you shut the fuck up you fucking gook.

abbeyroad

HSC
N/A
Lol. right mr internet warrior.

think that annoys me? think again.
it annoyed you enough to elicit a response from you, so yes I think it annoys the shit out of you you dumb fuck.

why don't you go masturbate to your kendo and bukkake your own face you shit eating nip.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)