• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Graphs question (1 Viewer)

hardworker42

HSC
I need some help, how do you get the domain and range of this graph
lyl = lx+1l

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm not sure, but if you were to plot the function y = |x+1|, then reflect it along the x axis, you should find the domain is all real x and range all real y

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I'm not sure, but if you were to plot the function y = |x+1|, then reflect it along the x axis, you should find the domain is all real x and range all real y
Correct. Do a quick sketch for these questions to make sure that you get the correct domain and range.

braintic

HSC
N/A
There is no need for a sketch to work out the domain and range.

Since |y| = a number which can't be -ve, all values of y are allowed.

Since | x+1 | = a number which can't be -ve, all values of x+1 are allowed and hence all values of x.

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
There is no need for a sketch to work out the domain and range.

Since |y| = a number which can't be -ve, all values of y are allowed.

Since | x+1 | = a number which can't be -ve, all values of x+1 are allowed and hence all values of x.
I get what you mean, this question doesn't require any work, mostly intuitive thinking. But its good to get into the habit of finding the domain and range through working, and drawing the graph is a good way of doing this.d

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I get what you mean, this question doesn't require any work, mostly intuitive thinking. But its good to get into the habit of finding the domain and range through working, and drawing the graph is a good way of doing this.d
If you want to minimise silly mistakes in the exam, you have to get into that habit.

Of course there is no need to sketch but a quick 5 second check will assure your answer.

Also, OP did not know how to find it, so the best thing is for them to learn by sketching to start off, then when they get better they will understand (we just take the short-cut of sketching it in our head and imagining it because we started off by learning to sketch to help us out when we started learning this).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)