Gravimetrical Analysis - Help (1 Viewer)

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Okay so I have a Chemistry assessment coming up and one of the things tested on is gravimetric analysis our sheet says "describe situations in which gravimetrisc analysis supplies useful data for chemists and other scientists" I'm a bit stumped i googled and I couldn't find much I came up with it is: it's used to find the percentage composition of substances to 6 digit figures. Are there any others I should know thanks for the help.

madharris

HSC
N/A
It is used to find the percentage composition of substance but i don't think it's necessarily 6 digit figures.
It's to the least number of significant figures given to you in the data (correct me if i'm wrong)

All you basically need to know is simple maths and ways of separating substances ( i think)

sorry, if i wasn't that helpful

nightweaver066

HSC
I remember vaguely that it is used to sample areas that are potentially rich with desired minerals/metals.

Have a look in your textbook.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
5 INSTANCES where gravimetric analysis is used:

1. A mining company wants to know the composition of a particular ore which is located underground to check if it is financially viable to engage in mining the ore body.
2. A health authority wishes to know the composition of the air near an industrial site to see if the air has been polluted to due to the presence of the industrial site.
3. A food company wants to know the amount of fibre that is present in a newly produced style of fruit so that consumers of the fruit can make an informed decision regarding their health.
4. A pharmaceutical company uses gravimetric analysis in mixing chemicals to manufacture their pharmaceutical drugs.
5. A fast food company wants to know whether a particular commercial mixture used in their burgers has the same percentage composition as a similar mixture being marketed by a rival company.

pls rep and i'll rep back. :)

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
If you only posted this like the day I posted it my assessment task is over, but I will rep since it is still useful to know I guess.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
If you only posted this like the day I posted it my assessment task is over, but I will rep since it is still useful to know I guess.
haha sorry mate, hopefully it'll still be useful for your half-yearlies and next assessments though.. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)