Great places to eat and fun things to do near UTS (1 Viewer)

DrDong

HSC
N/A
haha coupons are the way to go! survival techniques! hehehe when your running low on $$, coupons are your best reliable friends for food! Yum Yum.

Marketcity is the place I hang for food, the food in the tower building isnt that nice! nope-sir-ree.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
The "restaurants" in the tower? Steer clear of them. They gyp you on the kebabs.

But the union eatery is pretty good. I usually get soup when I have $2.60 and get hungry.

L

lucky

i spend too much on food.. ~~~

about like 40 bucks a week ~!!!~
not incl. karaoke and alch..

argh !~~~

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
WOAH... that's way too much. I spend that much in a month...but I avoid restaurants, because any more than $5 for a simple lunch (ie one that you're only getting because you're hungry at uni, nothing more) is wasteful. Maybe $6 with drink and side, but really that's pushing it.

Peach tea! ^^

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
at uni, i more or less live on the following things:

chicken pad thai
sushi rolls
orange juice
coffee
cold
chocolate frogs

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Tenax Propositi said:
Everyone must have a slice of the Choco Dome cake at Fioriani's in Darling Harbour (on the outside strip of Harbourside).

It is $10.90 a slice.... but it is AMAZING. It was like multi-layers of dense milk and then dark chocolate mudcake separated by layers of melted Lindt chocolate.

wow thats expensive! but sounds great lol. I gotta try it someday =D.

kate9032

Luke-warm Member
HSC
Did you guys find the chnage from skool to uni tough? Im from newcastle but have been to UTS and USYD for a few study days and i cant beleive how big the whole place is!! Looking at going to UTS netx year but am TOTALLY intimidated by the place/moving away from home etc...how did you guys cope? :eek:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
kate9032 said:
Did you guys find the chnage from skool to uni tough?
Looking at going to UTS netx year but am TOTALLY intimidated by the place/moving away from home etc...how did you guys cope? :eek:
its not that big... it's just like walking around buildings and the city... you'll get used to it very quickly... the only transitional problem in the change from school to uni is actually trying to study again after 3 months of holidays.

Ch00

HSC
N/A
not sure if anyone mentioned this, but if you just wanna save money and bring food from home, you can heat up good meals with university provided microwaves :) (my greatest discovery!)

they're near the vending machines to the left of the automatic doors near the UTS "lawns" on the concourse (lvl 3 of the tower). all the suggestions have been great... but my experience is, after a semester no one can really be arsed going all the way into the city or walking to broadway for ogalos/kfc/maccas etc! i reckon you're better off seeing if there is anything on at uni...

although, i fully agree with the person who suggested victoria park - makes you sooo jealous of those Usyd people!

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
actually yeah, the microwaves are where it's at. most faculties (from my experience) have a small kitchenette tucked away in there somewhere -- with a microwave or 2, a hot water machine, and a sink -- you've just got to find it.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Frigid said:
its not that big... it's just like walking around buildings and the city... you'll get used to it very quickly... the only transitional problem in the change from school to uni is actually trying to study again after 3 months of holidays.
i think for kate9032 it may be somewhat more of a different experience, as she will be moving cities and not merely just changing from school to uni.

kate9032

Luke-warm Member
HSC
Thanks johnson..i think you get what i meant.
UTS has a good rep for jobs after uni. For the courses you guys study do you think that is true? Just wondering is the move will be worth it....

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Kate I moved from a place that is smaller than Newcastle so I know what you mean. When I first came here I was in shock for a few weeks but it was fun and I am having a great time. I'm sure if you pick a course you like and a uni you are comfortable with then you will have a ball and love Sydney. Are you going to sstay in a student residence? They have orientation programs and things which make it all a little less intimidating. UTS isn't really intimidating anyway, it's always fairly friendly and you usually find your faculty has a building and most of your classes are in that one building.

If you have any more questions ask away!!!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Oh yeah, and UTS communications has a very good employment rate compared to the employment rate for communications degrees at other unis, so for UTS communications it is definately true that the employment prospects are good (comparatively... media is a hard field to get in to)

MoNNiE

HSC
yer when i was trying to find a toilet i came across the.. the WIE (women in engineering) room and they have a mini kitchen ..i've never actualli used it.. the room needs redecorating though

kate9032

Luke-warm Member
HSC
hey thanks Ash.

If you dont mind me asking where did you come from? Did you start getting along with ppl quickly there? Thanks for the info on the employment scene..i will see how well hey dazzal me this sat during the open day! I guess if they do d good job etc and the course sounds good 'watch out big smoke here i come!' hahaha sound like a country hik!!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I'm from Albury.... about 6-7 hours from Syd on the NSW/VIC border. I started making friends at the UTS residence pretty much right away because they had social activities at the start of the year etc. I made friends with people in my course quickly too but we don't really see each other much outside uni because everyone lives all over the place in Sydney.

I might be at the open day on Sat for a little while with the BoS crew, I have to work in the arvo, but I might see you there!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
MoNNiE said:
yer when i was trying to find a toilet i came across the.. the WIE (women in engineering) room and they have a mini kitchen ..i've never actualli used it.. the room needs redecorating though
Mon, the whole damn uni needs redecorating. Especially building 2, that place is fugly. :p

Union eatery = cheap, passable food. I used to live on $2.60 soup and roll.

Union Cafeteria = students in building 4 morgue, being autopsied by us forensic science students. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)