Greenpeace rocks (2 Viewers)

HSC
Slidey said:
I'm glad you've studied logic or man, I wouldn't be able to make sense of you 'argument'. Oh wait, nevermind!
it's not altruism if you're going on about it ALL THE TIME. THAT is called attention seeking.

moreover, altruism and idealism aren't the same thing. one is devotion to other human beings. the other is devotion to a principle. how altruist can someone be when he declares a vitrolic hatred of his own species?

and please read the whole post. im not telling him to stop being an environmentalist. im telling him to shut up about being an environmentalist

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
quixote studios said:
it's not altruism if you're going on about it ALL THE TIME. THAT is called attention seeking.
If somebody saves somebody's life without any ulterior motive, then goes around blabbing about how he saved a guy's life, he might be attention seeking, but it was still altruistic behaviour. But I'll give you a B- for your slander attempt.

moreover, altruism and idealism aren't the same thing.
No shit. Did they teach you that in English?

one is devotion to other human beings. the other is devotion to a principle. how altruist can someone be when he declares a vitrolic hatred of his own species?
*vitriolic

The definition of Altruism has nothing to do with human beings - we're simply one species who performs altruistic behaviour. In fact, voluntary altruistic behaviour is present in a number of species. Altruistic behaviour is characterised by a positive action taken which has no self-serving purpose.

Altruism is an ideal. But protection of the environment and of human rights are also ideals (Altruistic ones, both). These are the ones which Greenpeace supports.

Supporters of the environment harbour no such hatred of humanity. In fact, there's a massive overlap between those who campaign against human rights abuse issues and those who campaign for the environment.

But, you know, they're human. If they want to hate a bunch of Japanese fucks, more power to them. Nobody said good/nice people weren't allowed to hate. :) Now, if they went around killing them... well, you'd begin to have a semblance of an argument!

Last edited:
HSC
If somebody saves somebody's life without any ulterior motive, then goes around blabbing about how he saved a guy's life, he might be attention seeking, but it was still altruistic behaviour. But I'll give you a B- for your slander attempt.
Yes it's altruistic. That doesn't excuse his attention seeking, does it? And what exactly has the poster done to warrant attention seeking?

No shit. Did they teach you that in English?
You were talking about slander?

*vitriolic
Nitpicky, are we?

But protection of the environment and of human rights are also ideals (Altruistic ones, both). These are the ones which Greenpeace supports.
Why do you insist on equating environmentalism with the struggle for human rights? Or civil liberties?

flappinghippo said:
All you eating and shitting and polluting humans do is consume and obliterate our planet.
No, not vitriolic at all.

Now, I'm not against saving the environment. It's not my business if someone devotes his/her life to it - I applaud it, in fact. But don't post self-promoting threads titled Greenpeace rocks and go on about how humanity sucks. And don't misinterpret what I'm saying.

HSC
...ARGH...I really should read the first post before I reply.

Just realised...damn trolls. Wasted so much of my time.

Smithereens

HSC
flappinghippo said:
Yes! All you eating and shitting and polluting humans do is consume and obliterate our planet. Only by acting responsibly and green – don't change ANYTHING ANYWHERE EVER IN THIS PLANET – do you deserve to be on this planet.

Open your mind! See all that the human race has done to this planet! The only obvious conclusion is that our species, bar those of the morally responsible Greenpeace organisation, is a fucking cancer.

And it's up to us to cure it in our image, because our ideals are pure and noble compared to evil industrialists and capitalists, who want nothing but to pollute for their self-centered hedonism. Those narrow-minded bastards.

And look at the progress we've made! Well, okay, it's not much. All the protest cards, the slogans, political stunts haven't really changed a lot around our sacred globe, but at least we're on the news! It's important we keep doing it, more and more, if not for actual, profound change, but for noise, lots of noise, to get our message out there, you know?

Anything we hear in rebuttal is just the evil and selfish urges of the ignorant human race; it's all just utter rubbish. We won't take no for an answer! It's our way, no way else; no compromise!

Yeah! Open your fucking minds people!
You're a communist.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
quixote studios said:
...ARGH...I really should read the first post before I reply.

It's all good. Still, even if it wasn't a troll, it wouldn't be representative of most environmentalists. Oh well.

Brogan is correct.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Haha the japanese got owned.

What gets me is that the japanese considering killing 1000 of one type of whale to be scientific research.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Slidey said:
The definition of Altruism has nothing to do with human beings - we're simply one species who performs altruistic behaviour. In fact, voluntary altruistic behaviour is present in a number of species. Altruistic behaviour is characterised by a positive action taken which has no self-serving purpose.

Altruism is an ideal. But protection of the environment and of human rights are also ideals (Altruistic ones, both). These are the ones which Greenpeace supports.

Supporters of the environment harbour no such hatred of humanity. In fact, there's a massive overlap between those who campaign against human rights abuse issues and those who campaign for the environment.

But, you know, they're human. If they want to hate a bunch of Japanese fucks, more power to them. Nobody said good/nice people weren't allowed to hate. :) Now, if they went around killing them... well, you'd begin to have a semblance of an argument!
It's not in human nature to be totally altruistic all the time, it will never happen. Instead the only way to make things better for all people is to allow everyone to pursue their own happiness, and we all benefit that way.

The overlap between "those who campaign against human rights abuse issues and those who campaign for the environment" is a massive fallacy considering there's also a massive overlap between those who campaign for the environment and those who strongly support communism. It doesn't prove much :D

Stevo.

no more talk
HSC
Everyone has an ulterior motive whether they are aware of it or not.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
It's not in human nature to be totally altruistic all the time, it will never happen. Instead the only way to make things better for all people is to allow everyone to pursue their own happiness, and we all benefit that way.

The overlap between "those who campaign against human rights abuse issues and those who campaign for the environment" is a massive fallacy considering there's also a massive overlap between those who campaign for the environment and those who strongly support communism. It doesn't prove much :D
You sound like somebody who is trying to justify not caring about the environment by belittling those who do?

flappinghippo

HSC
quixote studios said:
Smithereens said:
You're a communist.
Slidey said:
It's all good. Still, even if it wasn't a troll, it wouldn't be representative of most environmentalists. Oh well.
It's funny how while you accuse me of trolling, your own actions, ie. the verbal pissing contest you lamers competed in achieved absolutely nothing new or creative anyway.

bassistx

HSC
chicky_pie said:
* when i have rubbish i don't put them in the bin, i just drop it on the ground

* when i drive and if there's something leaking under the car, i drive on grass or in a wildlife park

* if i see a ugly tree in front of my house, i petition the council to get it cut down because it's ugly and it's a tree.

* when i'm chewing gum while i drive, and when there's no where to put it, i roll the window i throw the wrapper

so stfu greenpeace, i'm your enemy :D
Says the one with a UAI score of 30...

I simply don't understand why a discussion based on saving the environment and creating environmental awareness has escalated into an arguement challenging the values of Greenpeace, arguing the validity of ultilitarianism vs. modern society and advancement, and politics (why is this seen as a way to offend people?).
They are 3 separate topics and incorporating them into one just leads to a mess - attacking people. Yeah, talk about slander... Hell, I'm also guilty. I "insulted" someone by using their UAI to measure their intellect.

But my point is that correcting each other's spelling, grammar, etc. won't get any of us anywhere. Look, I'm not trying to be the saviour Jesus reconciling type person here. That isn't my intention at all. But it would be very interesting to have a civilized debate, I'd like to see the final verdict.

I really don't see any harm in putting your paper in the recycling bin and making a 40min shower go for 39 instead. These pose no inconveniences (unless you're a real prick). And if you don't want to do it for the planet or future generations, then at least save yourself some money.

Although I understand what both sides are arguing, I do think it wasn't the brightest idea to begin a thread telling people to go die in compost bins. I don't think threats and death wishes etc. work very well to get your point across.
Having said that, I understand it's something you're very passionate about. I am too. But think about it - Greenpeace. Let's be peaceful? It's turning into a war.

And, I'm sorry, but what exactly did they teach you in school about Communism and Greenpeace? In any case, this isn't the place to discuss it.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Slidey said:
You sound like somebody who is trying to justify not caring about the environment by belittling those who do?
I'm not belittling them, I'm genuinely worried that restrictions will be placed in the name of caring about the environment that will hurt the poorest people.

EDIT: Taking an imagined moral high ground then acting indignant anyone who disagrees doesn't make you right :D

Last edited:

flappinghippo

HSC
bassistx said:
Although I understand what both sides are arguing, I do think it wasn't the brightest idea to begin a thread telling people to go die in compost bins. I don't think threats and death wishes etc. work very well to get your point across.
My previoius posts in this thread were all a joke, a joke with the intent of conveying what I felt was how Greenpeace conducts itself. You know, like how South Park would have done, exaggerating certain points about a thing all out of proportion. Their technique (ie. satire) take it to so far its ridiculousness takes apart the bullshit in order to make a point you couldn't do otherwise (like flaming each other online in an orgy of shit).

Yeah, that's what I attempted to do. Obviously I failed to do so. My bad.

bassistx said:
Look, I'm not trying to be the saviour Jesus reconciling type person here. That isn't my intention at all. But it would be very interesting to have a civilized debate
It would be, but something tells me this might not be the place you and I hope it would be (hint: any thread on this board).

My intention was to give it a different spin for that same end.

bassistx

HSC
flappinghippo said:
My previoius posts in this thread were all a joke, a joke with the intent of conveying what I felt was how Greenpeace conducts itself. You know, like how South Park would have done, exaggerating certain points about a thing all out of proportion. Their technique (ie. satire) take it to so far its ridiculousness takes apart the bullshit in order to make a point you couldn't do otherwise (like flaming each other online in an orgy of shit).
Hmmm. I understand. Maybe you should've put some smilies or something lol. Make it more sarcastic.
:)

Greenpeace does rock ;)

K

katie_tully

I don't think threats and death wishes etc. work very well to get your point across.
I think you'll find they can be quite persuasive actually.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)