• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

group tutorial presentations (3 Viewers)

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
arghk!! who else here finds groupwork EXTREMELY frustrating!

i have a tute presentation tomorrow with a partner, whom i've barely seen yet (ok- we each know what we're doing but we really need to meet!!)

and on wednesday i have a group presentation, with three other members who always seem to make themselves scarce! They're NEVER around when u need em. I've done my part/s, and i'm not about to do theirs as well. It sucks.

Any suggestions for effective group management? i.e. like probably getting into a decent group to start with! :(

santaslayer

HSC
yea, and ur supposed to get all their contacts on the day u form groups!
That way u can contact them if they dont contact u!@ :)

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
:(

i just messaged one of them, but she hasn't bothered to reply yet.

i wonder if they'll even bother to turn up on the day!!

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Group work is always hard when you don't really know the people. Make sure you get contacts from people the very first time you meet. Especially a mobile number! Avoid working with people who DON'T have a mobile, as it is very hard to track them down. I know this from experience! Make sure you CALL them as well. If you can choose groups in the future then make sure you choose people you know, or choose people who you know will be willing to do work and you can get in contact with. If you don't know anyone in your class then observe people who come to class regularly and perhaps make contributions to the class. If you get allocated into a group then make sure you get their contacts on that day!

Ashleet

HSC
i feel your pain, end of last term we had to perform a group devised performance of 5 minutes for our theatre studies prac assessment. one of the girl in the group seemed to have a problem being on time and if not that not turining up at all

but in the end everyone learns from everyone elses mistakes and their lack of group participation will affect THEIR results in the long run.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
make sure you find someone who speaks english and can write in english....

don't you get to write an evaluation on each member at the end of the assignment
you can tell the truth in that report....

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
No one can be more unlucky than me!!!

for group presentation, i did it first week.

no one turned up to the one meeting b4 presentation.

2 ppl from group of 4 dropped course after presentation.

then one person was put in our group by tutor, who dropped the course the next week.

now i have a group of 2 to do 2nd presentation and write 2500 word report!!!!

arrrggggg!!!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I hate group work as well.... I don't like having to rely on others to do things, especially people I don't know very well!

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Well out in the industry, you'll have to work on a lot of group projects, thats why they make you do group work. This is the case especially if your going into the IT, Science and Engineering fields.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
and Commerce :(

not meaning to sound rude/racist, but at my uni, you're more likely to be in a group with fobs, so thats a tad annoying when it comes to presentations, and trying to get them to do what you want etc
i think im just self centered though

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
well, i fink group work is not all that bad =)

i we work in a group in phys mostly... in tutes and pracs, it was HEAPS FUN!!! (then agian, i HAD to stress that unfortunate phys lab, but oh well ~~)

i fink it really depends on who u are workin with... i am around soem positive people...we are great fwnds, and it is productive group work time that way =)

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
For one of my tutorial presentation things i was put with the two people in my tute who hardly speak a word of english. So i was left to organise it all, who did what, who was to say what and when, and then on the day they both didnt turn up so i had to present the whole thing.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i dont have any group presentations this semester!!
in the bio labs, we work in groups and stuff, but thats it...and my lab group have become pretty good friends, so we all pitch in and get the work done (although apparently im the only one that knows what their doing :rolleyes: )

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by jasee
Well out in the industry, you'll have to work on a lot of group projects, thats why they make you do group work. This is the case especially if your going into the IT, Science and Engineering fields.

but ppl wont quit out of the job so easily!!!!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by *~Dazed~*
For one of my tutorial presentation things i was put with the two people in my tute who hardly speak a word of english. So i was left to organise it all, who did what, who was to say what and when, and then on the day they both didnt turn up so i had to present the whole thing.
ahahah
sorry, its slack, but funny

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
yes well i see the humour in it now- mind you on the day i was NOT impressed! But at least it made me look good cause i was there and we didnt all just jip it and not turn up. Jip, what the fuck is jip, dont even think its a word and even if it is i think i used it in totally the wrong context but thats all that would come out.

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by jasee
Avoid working with people who DON'T have a mobile, as it is very hard to track them down. I know this from experience!

Jasee.."hi, are you in a group?"

Guy/Girl: "ehrm no"

Jasee: "wanna join?"

Guy/Girl: "yea coolies!"

Jasee: "eh.....wait up, do you have a mobile phone?"

Guy/Girl: "um. no?"

Jasee: "Fuck Off!" :p

clive

evilc
HSC
N/A
Group work for my course is great because I'm friends with most people in my course now which makes a group assignment infinitely easier :)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by santaslayer
Jasee.."hi, are you in a group?"

Guy/Girl: "ehrm no"

Jasee: "wanna join?"

Guy/Girl: "yea coolies!"

Jasee: "eh.....wait up, do you have a mobile phone?"

Guy/Girl: "um. no?"

Jasee: "Fuck Off!" :p
that is slack!!! uhm, if tis a hot girl, i will prolly let her in with out a mobile... but defnitly gotta have msn.... =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)