• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

group tutorial presentations (2 Viewers)

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
lol. we've done the presentations now.... and they went remarkably well!! (under the circumstances)... i.e. for today's one, our group organised it the hour before we had to present it ... :p
And they all turned up, thank goodness.

it sounds like some of u guys have had some REALLY bad experiences with tute groups...

i like individual work best - that way you only have yourself to blame when things go wrong... :)

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
i feel you all..
i have 2 group assignments..
1 group is excellent.. and every single member is reliable and we have meetings everysingle week and everyone turns up all the time.. and if one doesnt, they send us an SMS message telling us dey cant make it.. so good communicatoin = good group..
and we have finished our assignment 3 weeks b4 dued date..
im soo happy with this group.. and i know everything is gonna flow good for the presentation..

however i have another group in another subject.. where everyone are slackers.. they neva turn up to meetings.. and when i SMS their mobile fones dey neva reply. !!! also they dont look like the type to even goto uni.. they hardly ever come to tutorials.. and if they do.. they mark der names down and sneak out.. and i haf a feeling some of dem might even skip the presentation day..

Best advice for group work.. have a mixed gender group.. eg 2 guys and 2 girls.. that way you work better... and more professionally.. also another tip is .. try get in group with the nerdy people.. coz the cool looking people are most likely to be slackers.. as they spend too much time infront of the mirror..

peace^^

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
Jasee.."hi, are you in a group?"

Guy/Girl: "ehrm no"

Jasee: "wanna join?"

Guy/Girl: "yea coolies!"

Jasee: "eh.....wait up, do you have a mobile phone?"

Guy/Girl: "um. no?"

Jasee: "Fuck Off!" :p

hehe, na sif I'm that slack. I was just trying to prove a point lol. But I usually do ask if they have a mobile. If not, I don't mind too much I guess, haven't had any problems so far. I'm working with someone this semester who doesn't have a mobile, but he's on MSN a lot so thats fine.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yeah i hate group work as well for the same reasons as everyone else - people slack off, it's not to your standard, and ultimately their crap effects your mark.

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
Heh, I had to do a presentation last year with this girl and the stupid idiot drops out of the subject two weeks before without telling me. I was told by the tutor on the day of the presentation. I just thought she was sick. Haha, it was the biggest crock of shit.

Just avoid eye contact with people who look dodgy :p

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Originally posted by Dingo2004
who in the world doesnt have a fone these days?
its year 2004..
their either not with it.. out of date.. or dunno da trends..

LOL
I have about 2 friends or so at uni who don't have a mobile. Makes them hard to find I guess :p.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Dingo2004
Best advice for group work.. have a mixed gender group.. eg 2 guys and 2 girls.. that way you work better... and more professionally.. also another tip is .. try get in group with the nerdy people.. coz the cool looking people are most likely to be slackers.. as they spend too much time infront of the mirror..
hehehe.... yea, no kiddin... u do work a lot better with mixed gender pplz in ur group...

and lol at ur remark regardin nerdie/coolie pplz... =) wonder which one do i look like =p
Originally posted by natstar
also avoid getting group memeber who live far far away. if u need to meet up out of uni its hard getting together.
>=(

that's not true at all!!! i make up to every meetin there is!!! *thinks~~~ well, there are not exactly any meetings, but i turn up to all lectures/tutes/pracs, even the most borin ones *cough~chem tute~cough* and i live like 1.5~2 hr from uni

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by jasee
hehe, na sif I'm that slack. I was just trying to prove a point lol. But I usually do ask if they have a mobile. If not, I don't mind too much I guess, haven't had any problems so far. I'm working with someone this semester who doesn't have a mobile, but he's on MSN a lot so thats fine.
:rofl:

LoLz..yea msn is cool.......that way u can use ur own Moby for msn if they're on the computer...Lolz

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Originally posted by jm1234567890
in engineering there aren't many girls
yes jm, we all noe, we all noe :D hang around wit the boys and play wit them :D

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
We have two group presentations this semester, except the lecturers put us in groups so we couldn't chose, which completely sucks.

One group for sustainability, most of the people don't do anything, and when we have a meeting they are like 2 hours late.

But thank god for the advances in internet. MSN rulz!!!

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by xiao1985
..., even the most borin ones *cough~chem tute~cough*...
LoL- why do u even go to those? :p

as with group work- the best thing to do is to meet up in the uni. library and do as much of the project as u can there. :S`

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
Yeah, I hate grp work too - got a report due - okay so it's May 10th - haven't even discussed meeting up let alone who's doing what for the report . . . . . .

I guess it depends on who in your grp and how much effort they want to put into the work.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Originally posted by Minai
not meaning to sound rude/racist, but at my uni, you're more likely to be in a group with fobs, so thats a tad annoying when it comes to presentations, and trying to get them to do what you want etc
i think im just self centered though
how is that self-centered at all?
it's very hard to work with international students, and i think that tutors take that into account when grading tute presentations.

but groupwork can also work the other way around, instead of having really slack people in your group ... you could be stuck in a group of over-achievers (ie mature aged students) and feel bad about just putting in your standard effort.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
I'm one of that archaic breed who doesn't own a mobile phone. I prefer to communicate through cave painting, smoke signals, or heliograph.

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
:edit:

it's all good ;)

Last edited:

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
i haven't had ne group work yet....n i don' t think i have ne this semester....cud be next semester....yes i think there's one for infs next sem ....dats wat my friend was saying!!!!
i have made many friends in uni , so i wudn't really mind group work.....unlike skool where ppl made groups themselves , just to make me feel lonely n to put me down......after all Jealousy is a curse!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)