Growth and decay (1 Viewer)

atakach99

HSC
An iceblock with temperature -14 degrees Celsius is left out in the sun. The air temperature is a constant 25 degrees Celsius and after 40 seconds the temperature of the iceblock has reached -5 degrees Celsius. Find

a) its temperature after 2 minutes

b) when the iceblock will start to melt (i.e when its temperature will reach 0 degrees Celsius.

plz help me solve this
thnks

vds700

HSC
atakach99 said:
An iceblock with temperature -14 degrees Celsius is left out in the sun. The air temperature is a constant 25 degrees Celsius and after 40 seconds the temperature of the iceblock has reached -5 degrees Celsius. Find

a) its temperature after 2 minutes

b) when the iceblock will start to melt (i.e when its temperature will reach 0 degrees Celsius.

plz help me solve this
thnks
Hint use Newtn's law of cooling:

T = 25 + Ae^Kt

Sub in given values to evaluate the constants, and u should be able to work the rest out.

12o9

HSC
vds700 said:
Hint use Newtn's law of cooling:

T = 25 + Ae^Kt

Sub in given values to evaluate the constants, and u should be able to work the rest out.
are we required to remember that formula? beucase my school teacher hasnt even mentioned it ..:confused:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
12o9 said:
are we required to remember that formula? beucase my school teacher hasnt even mentioned it ..:confused:
No,you usually derive it yourself.

vds700

HSC
12o9 said:
As Namu said, tu need tro derive it. Its not hard. You start with dT/dt = k(T - P)

The, dt/dT = 1/k(T - P)
t = Int(1/k(T - P)dT
integrate and express T in terms of t and u shouild get T = P + Ae^kt

Often in exams, they say show that T = P + Ae^kt is a solution to dT/dt = k(T - P), and u just need to differentiate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)