GTX300 series (1 Viewer)

Gibbatron

HSC
N/A
Its about time nvidia created an entirely new architecture and design rather than just updating their old ones. I think its due to be released Q4 or early next year.

Apparently it's supposed to have at least double the power of the current generation of cards. Anyone else interested?

Top Secret

HSC
ATI 58xx are out right now. By the time nVidia (who I hear is having finantial difficulties - may just be a rumour) releases the GTX300 series, the ATI cards will be much cheaper, and thus should dominate the high end and mainstream market.

Gibbatron

HSC
N/A
thats true, but the nvidia cards are going to be a completely different architecture. They are using a whole new instruction set (MMID), and are basically a brand new card.

The ATI 5xxx series cards are basically an update on the 4xxx series, but tweaked for DX11 and shader model 5.0. They will also feature more processing cores and use a larger die, but they will still be operating with a SMID architecture.

The GTX300 series is going to be a whole range of cards as well, and if reports are true even the mid end cards should be very powerful, so we could see some good cards for lower prices.

zingerburger

HSC
I've read that nVidia is having trouble manufacturing the new 40nm transistors.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah cant perform well on 40nm silicon wafers, PCpowerplay reckons if nVidia cant smarten up, AMD/ATI is going to take the GPU world in a vice.

zingerburger

HSC
It kind of goes in a cycle. nVidia was at the top for a few years when ATI wasn't around. Once ATI came, there was competition for a while and ATI eventually took the crown. Then nVidia caught up and there was competition and nVidia was at the top again. Past few years have been pretty close competition and now it's AMD/ATI's turn to shine.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
i love competition
only reason nVidia is doing this is ATI's 5870
sit back, watch the price war and jump at the right moment

youngminii

Banned
HSC
No, Nvidia just likes using the best technology around to create the best GPUs they can. Too bad AMD beats them half the time..

These cards are always waaaay too expensive for me anyway :(

When I get some cash, I'm gonna build the ultimate gaming machine using a customised ATI CrossFire setup. I remember seeing a pic/guide of some dude linking together four top of the line ATI GPUs with water cooling. My dream.
This was a while back though

Last edited:

Gibbatron

HSC
N/A
Nvidia often creates some pretty powerful gpu's with that technology though. Back in the day of the 8800 Ultra, it was a single core card yet it managed near the same performance as a 3870X2. The 3870X2 was faster, of course, but because the Ultra was only single core, that was pretty imprssive.

Last edited:

youngminii

Banned
HSC
I've read that nVidia is having trouble manufacturing the new 40nm transistors.
I don't understand how this happened. Transistors have been getting smaller and smaller at an accelerating rate per year. How did they randomly run into a bump where they can't make the transistors even smaller?

Btw, I'm expecting the GTX300 series to smash expectations. I've been looking forward to it for some time now, was meant to start saving money to get it :p

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
I don't understand how this happened. Transistors have been getting smaller and smaller at an accelerating rate per year. How did they randomly run into a bump where they can't make the transistors even smaller?

Btw, I'm expecting the GTX300 series to smash expectations. I've been looking forward to it for some time now, was meant to start saving money to get it :p
I didnt think it was the transistors, since its all rumours and shit, messages can get mixed, but PCPowerPlay says its it was 40nm boards/circuits which is quite understandable. The heat threshold will rape the circuits, but the more they can get in, the more stuff it can do. Probably find Carbonfibre boards soon to compensate for heat problems and inbuilt water cooling systems to stifle the heat away.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
i didnt think it was the transistors, since its all rumours and shit, messages can get mixed, but pcpowerplay says its it was 40nm boards/circuits which is quite understandable. The heat threshold will rape the circuits, but the more they can get in, the more stuff it can do. Probably find carbonfibre boards soon to compensate for heat problems and inbuilt water cooling systems to stifle the heat away.
= $$$

youngminii

Banned
HSC
But at the same time, the base cost of the smaller 40mm chips should decrease.
Chips are mass produced cheaply. Making them smaller does not make them cheaper because of the technology involved.
Hence, they are of equal price or even more expensive (or the price decrease is so small that it's negligible)

The Engineer

HSC
You can only make transistors so small before you have to come up with something new - just like when the transistor replaced the thermionic valve. Interesting to see what they come up with next.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)